- Remember these Christmas photos from last year? We think they are worth a re-run..... http://t.co/8AxM8s6QUR (6th Dec 2013 - 14:50)
- Make money doing school run childcare http://t.co/ydWRVF7vW0 #makemoney #childcare #parttime (6th Dec 2013 - 11:24)
- Make money buying and selling Lego: You may be under the impression that Lego is a toy, played with by kids an... http://t.co/Lk74c724WT (6th Dec 2013 - 10:20)
- Stuck for an idea for a Secret Santa? Here are some gifts for under a fiver: http://t.co/AGcxePCTjR #bargains #christmas #secretsanta (6th Dec 2013 - 09:35)
- Are you an RBS, NatWest or Ulster customer? Jasmine tells you why it's time to swap your bank account.... http://t.co/Q6SsJEZgRS (5th Dec 2013 - 15:30)
- Beware what you share at Christmas: Eight out of ten (84%) social media users on social media sites like Insta... http://t.co/VeA95QVDRe (5th Dec 2013 - 15:17)
- Cut your food costs this Christmas. We have some good tips & recipes for you here http://t.co/kVqvDaLcAx #savemoney #christmas #frugalfood (5th Dec 2013 - 13:20)
- Win an M&S Christmas Hamper! Only 8 days to go..http://t.co/abKWv7zfgI #Christmas #hamper #competition (5th Dec 2013 - 11:31)
- What a doll! You can make money collecting Barbies http://t.co/24SwHLXyB1 #barbies #doll #makemoney (5th Dec 2013 - 09:29)
- RT @mrshunts: #Live-in or #live-out Housekeeper required in #North #London from Monday to Friday 7am to 7pm to start asap (4th Dec 2013 - 19:43)
- Christmastime Dream Routes Through Eastern Germany: Like Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz, emerging from a world o... http://t.co/XLJqMDq6u0 (4th Dec 2013 - 17:39)
- Switch your bank if you're a customer of RBS, Ulster or Natwest!: http://t.co/Gyjw5N1miL via @YouTube (4th Dec 2013 - 15:57)
- Don't get caught out..here are the last Christmas posting dates. http://t.co/qvd04msUKR #Christmas #postage #onlineshopping (4th Dec 2013 - 15:26)
- RT @topnotchnannies: #Governess needed in #Montreux and #Moscow/#Spain, £1000 gross per week. (4th Dec 2013 - 14:05)
- There are some #bargains to be had at the moment, including up to 50% off dresses at Debenhams...... http://t.co/3W1P0ekbKe (4th Dec 2013 - 13:30)
- Save water and cut your bills. We have 10 ways to cut your water usage http://t.co/xK5rPo06PC #savemoney #savewater #green (4th Dec 2013 - 11:30)
- Need a hair cut? Why not sell your hair? http://t.co/5rH7u5iGu8 #makemoney #haircut #extracash (4th Dec 2013 - 09:31)
- Watch out for RBS/NatWest/Ulster Bank phishing emails: The NatWest/RBS/Ulster Bank problems that hit customers... http://t.co/4r88HCvWrE (4th Dec 2013 - 07:43)
- If you have some Ladybird books lurking on your bookshelves, you could be missing a money spinner. Our guide... http://t.co/PC1380xaVb (3rd Dec 2013 - 17:30)
Get your friends to make you money
There’s no better publicity than word of mouth. Companies know this and so they’re willing to stump up a load of cash to give you the incentive to refer their products and services to your friends. You can take advantage of £100s of cash rewards available by getting your friends to sign up for things you think are good – or even things you don’t like so much.
The Moneymagpie team is here to take you through the best ‘refer-a-friend’ deals and we’ve found some extra ones today to make you even more money.
- Get great deals at refermehappy.com
- Breakdown assistance
- Health and beauty
- Mobile phones
- Cashback sites
Our top tip is to head to refermehappy.com, an online matching service where ‘referrers’ and ‘friends’ are matched up to get referral bonuses from companies like Sky, Virgin and Direct Line. There are loads of rewards to be had in all sorts of areas:
- Broadband – rewards from BE, IDNet and Plusnet
- Food – rewards from Ocado
- Health and beauty – rewards from Harpers Fitness, Red Door Spas and Yogamatters.com
- Insurance – rewards from Halifax, Standard Life, Simply Health, Columbus Direct, Direct Line, and Tesco Insurance
- Holidays – rewards from holidaylettings.co.uk and Expedia
- Mobile phones – rewards from 3 Mobile
- TV – rewards from Sky and Virgin Media
- Cashback sites – rewards from, well, pretty much all of them
We’ve tried this out here at Moneymagpie and our verdict is a resounding thumbs up! Here’s how to do it.
Step 1: Register
You need to register at refermehappy.com before you can start referring ‘friends’ for deals, or they can start referring you. This only takes a minute and it’s free (the cost of the site is covered by advertising). You’ll be sent an e-mail asking you to confirm your e-mail address. When this is done, you’re ready to go.
Step 2: Get referring
If you click on ‘Deals’ on the homepage you can search for companies you’re already signed up to. For example, if you’re a Sky member, go to ‘TV’, click on the Sky deal (£75 M&S, John Lewis, Boots or Tesco voucher when you refer a friend) and select ‘I want to refer someone for this offer’. Then submit your confirmation. You are now registered as a ‘referrer’ and refermehappy.com will send you an e-mail when they find a match for you.
With some companies you can refer as many friends as you like – think of all the cash you could make!
If your company offers a ‘refer-a-friend’ deal but it is not listed on refermehappy.com, you can tell them about it by clicking on ‘Submit a company or new offer’ under the appropriate category. As a reward you’ll be the first to be notified about new friends for this deal.
Step 3: Clinch the deal
For security purposes all communication from third parties is sent via a new e-mail address that refermehappy.com sets up for you. Never disclose personal information to individual referrers, especially not your bank details. Generally all you need is the name of the friend or referrer and their e-mail address when applying for these deals; all other information goes through the company itself.
If, having registered as a ‘referrer’, you are matched up with a ‘friend’ then the ball is in your court to secure the deal through the company. For example if you want to refer someone to sign up to Sky, go to the Sky ‘introduce a friend’ page and fill in the online application form. If the ‘friend’ joins up, £75 in vouchers should be on its way!
Step 4: Be a friend
Most of the companies on the website offer a cash reward for the ‘friend’ as well. If you’re thinking of switching your current account or your broadband providers for example, then it might be worth switching to a company that does referral deals. In some cases (for example with the gym and spa memberships) you can try out the new company before you switch.
If you do decide to join any company after being referred, refermehappy.com will give you priority for your own future referrals for that company.
Moneymagpie’s golden rule -
1. Don’t sign up to anything just so you can get the friend deal and then realise you can’t afford the monthly bills. Playing the ‘refer-a-friend’ game is pointless if you end up with a product that a) you can’t afford, b) you don’t actually want or c) isn’t right for you.
2. If you’re already thinking of switching, the deals listed on refermehappy.com could be for you.
Get new money-making secrets every week for free. Signup here now!
RAC – £15 M&S gift card reward
BE – up to £280 credit
The broadband provider BE will give you as much as £280 credit if you recommend six of your friends to sign up. For every friend you sign up you’ll both get £40 credit, and for a sixth person BE will add an extra £40. Therefore, you could make a whopping £280 in credits in one enrolment year. To refer your friends, log in to the BE member centre and enter the names and email addresses of up to six people.
All ‘refer-a-friend’ credits will appear as a credit on your next invoice, providing BE have received cleared funds from you and the friend.
If you’re thinking of joining do look at BE’s website first to check the coverage and speed in your area.
Other broadband providers
Plusnet is currently running a ‘refer-a-friend’ promotion, offering three months’ free broadband.
This is well worth doing if you’re already a customer.
Ocado – up to 20 vouchers
A goodie! Invite a friend to Ocado and you’ll receive up to 20 vouchers by e-mail when your recommended friends join and receives their third Ocado delivery. A minimum spend may be required to use the ‘Invite A Friend’ voucher, so make sure you wait until you need a big shop. You can recommend up to 20 friends.
To get your vouchers visit the Ocado ‘invite a friend’ page and fill in the form.
Local gyms often offer ‘refer-a-friend’ deals so do ask a member of staff or check their website.
Harpers Fitness – free gift
Harpers Fitness members can choose from a wide range of great free gifts from the Harpers Reward Range when referring a friend who joins the gym. Complete this form to refer your friend. If they join you’ll be sent a voucher with a unique code which you can redeem here.
Red Door Spas – 20% off
Red Door Spas members receive a 20% savings reward for each new guest who visits a Red Door Spa on their referral. Just create or log in to a My Red Door account and enter the details of your friends on the refer-a-friend form. Your friends will receive an e-mail inviting them to visit Red Door, along with a ‘Welcome Savings’ coupon for 20% off their first visit.
Yogamatters – £5 online voucher
Yoga bunnies get £5 to spend online at Yogamatters.com when they refer a friend who spends over £20 in one order. You have to log in to your account and fill in the form here. When your friend joins and spends £20 you’ll be e-mailed a thank you voucher containing a special code. You can enter the code at the online checkout and £5 will be deducted from your invoice.
Simplyhealth – £30 Boots voucher
Tesco Insurance – free gift cards and clubcard points
Tesco offers ‘refer-a-friend’ deals on Tesco Travel Insurance and Tesco Pet Insurance. Tell a friend about Tesco Travel Insurance and Tesco will say thank you with a £5 Tesco Gift Card or 500 Clubcard Points when your friend takes out an annual Tesco Travel Insurance policy. The friend will also receive their choice of £5 Gift Card or 500 points. To claim the rewards download a PDF copy of the Recommend a Friend form (on this page), print it out, fill in your own details, then give the form to your friend who can fill in their details and send it off. You can recommend as many people as you like, so there’s no limit to how many points or gift cards you can claim!
The Tesco Pet Insurance referral deal is even better – simply get a friend to take out a pet insurance policy with Tesco and they’ll reward you both with a £10 Tesco Gift Card or 1,000 Clubcard Points. Download the PDF application form on this page and fill in as above. Again, you can recommend as many people as you’d like.
Voyage Privé – 70% off
Voyage Privé is a members-only site offering up to 70% off exclusive 4 and 5* holidays. After registering for free, you’ll have access to incredible deals on luxury holidays, from romantic city breaks to exotic cruises. The holidays are available on a limited time only basis which means there are wonderful offers being added all the time.
Holidaylettings.co.uk – free gifts
If you advertise on home rental website holidaylettings.co.uk and recommend a friend or family member to put an ad up on the site you’ll get a free gift as a reward. Gifts include £50 worth of Amazon vouchers. Just click ‘Refer Now’ on this page and enter your friend’s details. You can refer as many friends as you’d like – just make sure they mention your name or Advertiser ID when registering.
3 Mobile – share up to £90 with a friend
Recommend a friend to 3 Mobile and as a thank you they’ll credit each of your accounts. If your friend goes for a phone you both get £30. If they go for Mobile Broadband you both get £15. If they choose both, that’s £45 each.
You can recommend a maximum of three friends – if they all go for the combined package, that’s £135 for you.
Just enter your details here and 3 will send you an e-mail. Forward this to your mate and if they sign up you’ll both get credited in 60 days’ time. The referred friend must quote your mobile number at the time of ordering.
Mobile credits are only available if the new customer signs up to an 18-month minimum term contract. Broadband credits are available with the Pay Monthly Mobile Broadband price plan on an 18- or 24-month minimum term contract.
Sky – get £75 M&S vouchers each
Get £75 M&S vouchers each when you introduce a friend to Sky TV. Once your friend has joined and paid their first monthly subscription, you’ll both receive your vouchers. Introduce a friend now by following this link.
Virgin media – £50 credit per friend
Just as with Sky, if you refer a friend to Virgin Media cable services, both you and the friend get a bonus. In Virgin’s case this is £50 off your bill and free installation for your friend. Just give your friend’s name and e-mail address by clicking on ‘Connect your friends now!’ on this page. Once the friend has paid their first bill Virgin will credit the referrer’s accounts with £50. You can connect as many friends as you like.
Most cashback sites pay bonuses when you get a friend to sign up. If you’re into cashback sites, this is an easy way to earn some cash while also helping your friends to save on purchases.
GreasyPalm pays £7 per friend;
Free Fivers pays £5 once the friend has earned £25;
Froggybank pays £5 for every two friends you recruit;