- Jasmine: RT @Clevervideos: This is wonderful. A whole kid's orchestra with instruments made from landfill junk. http://t.co/FcJNDILpZQ (19th May 2013 - 20:22)
- Moneymagpie: Tax & recovery?: London taxes No not black cabs, but rather a thought from our Mayor Boris that London needs m... http://t.co/yLiIpB3pbH (19th May 2013 - 18:04)
- Jasmine: @clemencybh Grear prog this morning (listening now on iPlayer). The Vaughan Williams one of my all-time favourites. Thanks! (19th May 2013 - 15:56)
- Moneymagpie: Hooray! The website is back up and running. For your daily dose of #moneysaving #tips and #moneymaking #ideas visit http://t.co/Ez1t2WyGEv (19th May 2013 - 11:28)
- Moneymagpie: Woo hoo, the site's back up!! http://t.co/i4DEmdGmuy (19th May 2013 - 10:42)
- Jasmine: RT @ThePoke: It’s the final of #Eurovision tonight – use this card to generate your own personal bland euro-song http://t.co/9i3BKtzV0b (18th May 2013 - 17:47)
- Jasmine: @THEJamesWhale Horrendous (18th May 2013 - 17:00)
- Jasmine: RT @THEJamesWhale: Read this,what hope Is there for people like this.? http://t.co/pr7vSp8WNb via @MailOnline (18th May 2013 - 17:00)
- Jasmine: Lovely music from a choir I have just discovered - Renaissance http://t.co/icEyltCqeu - v restful! (18th May 2013 - 16:42)
- Jasmine: RT @ianbremmer: Average hourly wage for garment workers: Bangladesh: $.24 Cambodia: $.45 Pakistan: $.52 Vietnam: $.53 China: $1.26 (17th May 2013 - 18:21)
- Jasmine: @simoninthesand Boston. Lovely place! :) (17th May 2013 - 15:58)
- Jasmine: RT @AJMajid: “Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.” ~ William Ward (17th May 2013 - 14:42)
- Jasmine: @BJoshee Ugh yes! (17th May 2013 - 14:42)
- Jasmine: “Thinking outside the box” and “going forward” have been voted the most hated examples of management speak (17th May 2013 - 13:39)
- Jasmine: So impressed by Virgin Atlantic flights I made this month. Why can't all airlines be like them? (17th May 2013 - 13:19)
- Moneymagpie: Smile... #smile #friday #cuteanimals #dog http://t.co/x91OcATFPf (17th May 2013 - 13:03)
- Jasmine: RT @BBCBusiness: Ofcom: 'Too many' nuisance calls http://t.co/wfhsNq68MW <<true - close these companies down! (17th May 2013 - 11:15)
- Jasmine: V good analysis of recessonary politics across the West from John Kay http://t.co/nDt7ZNOWOR (17th May 2013 - 10:55)
- Moneymagpie: In the meantime why not try this brainteaser... http://t.co/XJpy3AGxM7 (16th May 2013 - 09:39)
- Moneymagpie: The website is still experiencing technical problems. We apologise for any inconvenience. We really hope to be up... http://t.co/u6g8Dm5Ybo (16th May 2013 - 09:13)
- Moneymagpie: @VeniceAFulton Sorry, it will be there v soon! (15th May 2013 - 23:26)
- Jasmine: Lovely story about the Candy Cab in NY http://t.co/uBsmrPzCFM (15th May 2013 - 23:19)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Tax & recovery? - http://t.co/R9VVZ4IBSV (15th May 2013 - 17:00)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Top tips for single travellers - http://t.co/SvbkeDr6TO (15th May 2013 - 14:45)
- Moneymagpie: We are still experiencing technical problems. The website is currently down. We hope to be up and running very soon. (15th May 2013 - 10:22)
- Jasmine: RT @ThePoke: Go to Google images. Type in 'Atari Breakout'. Have a nice day :) (via @peachesanscream) (14th May 2013 - 14:09)
- Jasmine: @UKPizzaLover Said it's cos I renewed late and it's 'in the system'!! (14th May 2013 - 14:08)
- Jasmine: @UKPizzaLover Bad. It seems it would take another 5 days if I transferred. Have just asked. (14th May 2013 - 13:20)
- Jasmine: @UKPizzaLover Yes that's what happened. Would it be quicker to move? Really? (14th May 2013 - 13:18)
- Jasmine: @WarrenSargent Quite! (14th May 2013 - 13:18)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Can I resell airline and train tickets? - http://t.co/QjpNNX9Bwb (14th May 2013 - 13:14)
- Moneymagpie: Due to a technical problem the website is currently down. Apologies for any inconvenience. We should be up and running very soon... (14th May 2013 - 12:28)
- Moneymagpie: @CBromleyMartin Thank you so much! Nightmare!! (14th May 2013 - 11:59)
- Moneymagpie: So sorry everyone. The site is still down It's a nightmare for us! (14th May 2013 - 11:24)
- Moneymagpie: @dallaswillcox Yes it's wful. Will let you know when it's up again (14th May 2013 - 11:24)
- Moneymagpie: @CBromleyMartin Yes it's awful! (14th May 2013 - 11:23)
- Moneymagpie: Take a look at our 31 brilliant #money making and money #saving #ideas. One for every single day of this month. http://t.co/UjkHof2af9 #save (14th May 2013 - 10:06)
- Moneymagpie: Sorry the site is down. Technical issues...aargh! Should be up again very soon. (13th May 2013 - 22:02)
- Moneymagpie: Check out these 10 easy ways to make quick cash... http://t.co/NIzsKt77tx … #makemoney #savemoney #quickcash #cash #money (13th May 2013 - 16:06)
- Moneymagpie: Sign up to our free #moneymaking and #moneysaving #newsletter here...http://t.co/S1iifOoOW1 … #freeebook #free (13th May 2013 - 16:04)
Get your friends to make you money
There’s no better publicity than word of mouth. Companies know this and so they’re willing to stump up a load of cash to give you the incentive to refer their products and services to your friends. You can take advantage of £100s of cash rewards available by getting your friends to sign up for things you think are good – or even things you don’t like so much.
The Moneymagpie team is here to take you through the best ‘refer-a-friend’ deals and we’ve found some extra ones today to make you even more money.
- Get great deals at refermehappy.com
- More ‘tell a friend’ deals…
- Breakdown assistance
- Health and beauty
- Mobile phones
- Cashback sites
Our top tip is to head to refermehappy.com, an online matching service where ‘referrers’ and ‘friends’ are matched up to get referral bonuses from companies like Sky, Virgin and Direct Line. There are loads of rewards to be had in all sorts of areas:
- Broadband – rewards from BE, IDNet and Plusnet
- Food – rewards from Ocado
- Health and beauty – rewards from Harpers Fitness, Red Door Spas and Yogamatters.com
- Insurance – rewards from Halifax, Standard Life, Simply Health, Columbus Direct, Direct Line, and Tesco Insurance
- Holidays – rewards from holidaylettings.co.uk and Expedia
- Mobile phones – rewards from 3 Mobile
- TV – rewards from Sky and Virgin Media
- Cashback sites – rewards from, well, pretty much all of them
We’ve tried this out here at Moneymagpie and our verdict is a resounding thumbs up! Here’s how to do it.
Step 1: Register
You need to register at refermehappy.com before you can start referring ‘friends’ for deals, or they can start referring you. This only takes a minute and it’s free (the cost of the site is covered by advertising). You’ll be sent an e-mail asking you to confirm your e-mail address. When this is done, you’re ready to go.
Step 2: Get referring
If you click on ‘Deals’ on the homepage you can search for companies you’re already signed up to. For example, if you’re a Sky member, go to ‘TV’, click on the Sky deal (£75 M&S, John Lewis, Boots or Tesco voucher when you refer a friend) and select ‘I want to refer someone for this offer’. Then submit your confirmation. You are now registered as a ‘referrer’ and refermehappy.com will send you an e-mail when they find a match for you.
With some companies you can refer as many friends as you like – think of all the cash you could make!
If your company offers a ‘refer-a-friend’ deal but it is not listed on refermehappy.com, you can tell them about it by clicking on ‘Submit a company or new offer’ under the appropriate category. As a reward you’ll be the first to be notified about new friends for this deal.
Step 3: Clinch the deal
For security purposes all communication from third parties is sent via a new e-mail address that refermehappy.com sets up for you. Never disclose personal information to individual referrers, especially not your bank details. Generally all you need is the name of the friend or referrer and their e-mail address when applying for these deals; all other information goes through the company itself.
If, having registered as a ‘referrer’, you are matched up with a ‘friend’ then the ball is in your court to secure the deal through the company. For example if you want to refer someone to sign up to Sky, go to the Sky ‘introduce a friend’ page and fill in the online application form. If the ‘friend’ joins up, £75 in vouchers should be on its way!
Step 4: Be a friend
Most of the companies on the website offer a cash reward for the ‘friend’ as well. If you’re thinking of switching your current account or your broadband providers for example, then it might be worth switching to a company that does referral deals. In some cases (for example with the gym and spa memberships) you can try out the new company before you switch.
If you do decide to join any company after being referred, refermehappy.com will give you priority for your own future referrals for that company.
Moneymagpie’s golden rule -
1. Don’t sign up to anything just so you can get the friend deal and then realise you can’t afford the monthly bills. Playing the ‘refer-a-friend’ game is pointless if you end up with a product that a) you can’t afford, b) you don’t actually want or c) isn’t right for you.
2. If you’re already thinking of switching, the deals listed on refermehappy.com could be for you.
Online image library Picturenation will pay you if you successfully refer buyers. Simply register to the site, and you will be provided with banners and links that you can paste onto any outgoing emails, your website or blog, or any forums or messageboards you use. You will make a 5% commission for a whole year for each person that visits the site via one of your links and makes a purchase, so if one of your recommendations buys £500 worth of pictures, you will net a cool £25! You can refer individuals or companies, and you can manage your account and track your referrals on your personal Picturenation page. Payments are made via PayPal so you will need to create an account with them, and the commission is paid every two months after your total commission reaches £5.
Get new money-making secrets every week for free. Signup here now!
RAC – £15 M&S gift card reward
BE – up to £280 credit
The broadband provider BE will give you as much as £280 credit if you recommend six of your friends to sign up. For every friend you sign up you’ll both get £40 credit, and for a sixth person BE will add an extra £40. Therefore, you could make a whopping £280 in credits in one enrolment year. To refer your friends, log in to the BE member centre and enter the names and email addresses of up to six people.
All ‘refer-a-friend’ credits will appear as a credit on your next invoice, providing BE have received cleared funds from you and the friend.
If you’re thinking of joining do look at BE’s website first to check the coverage and speed in your area.
Other broadband providers
Plusnet is currently running a ‘refer-a-friend’ promotion, offering three months’ free broadband.
This is well worth doing if you’re already a customer.
Ocado – up to 20 vouchers
A goodie! Invite a friend to Ocado and you’ll receive up to 20 vouchers by e-mail when your recommended friends join and receives their third Ocado delivery. A minimum spend may be required to use the ‘Invite A Friend’ voucher, so make sure you wait until you need a big shop. You can recommend up to 20 friends.
To get your vouchers visit the Ocado ‘invite a friend’ page and fill in the form.
Local gyms often offer ‘refer-a-friend’ deals so do ask a member of staff or check their website.
Harpers Fitness – free gift
Harpers Fitness members can choose from a wide range of great free gifts from the Harpers Reward Range when referring a friend who joins the gym. Complete this form to refer your friend. If they join you’ll be sent a voucher with a unique code which you can redeem here.
Red Door Spas – 20% off
Red Door Spas members receive a 20% savings reward for each new guest who visits a Red Door Spa on their referral. Just create or log in to a My Red Door account and enter the details of your friends on the refer-a-friend form. Your friends will receive an e-mail inviting them to visit Red Door, along with a ‘Welcome Savings’ coupon for 20% off their first visit.
Yogamatters – £5 online voucher
Yoga bunnies get £5 to spend online at Yogamatters.com when they refer a friend who spends over £20 in one order. You have to log in to your account and fill in the form here. When your friend joins and spends £20 you’ll be e-mailed a thank you voucher containing a special code. You can enter the code at the online checkout and £5 will be deducted from your invoice.
Simplyhealth – £30 Boots voucher
Tesco Insurance – free gift cards and clubcard points
Tesco offers ‘refer-a-friend’ deals on Tesco Travel Insurance and Tesco Pet Insurance. Tell a friend about Tesco Travel Insurance and Tesco will say thank you with a £5 Tesco Gift Card or 500 Clubcard Points when your friend takes out an annual Tesco Travel Insurance policy. The friend will also receive their choice of £5 Gift Card or 500 points. To claim the rewards download a PDF copy of the Recommend a Friend form (on this page), print it out, fill in your own details, then give the form to your friend who can fill in their details and send it off. You can recommend as many people as you like, so there’s no limit to how many points or gift cards you can claim!
The Tesco Pet Insurance referral deal is even better – simply get a friend to take out a pet insurance policy with Tesco and they’ll reward you both with a £10 Tesco Gift Card or 1,000 Clubcard Points. Download the PDF application form on this page and fill in as above. Again, you can recommend as many people as you’d like.
Voyage Privé – 70% off
Voyage Privé is a members-only site offering up to 70% off exclusive 4 and 5* holidays. After registering for free, you’ll have access to incredible deals on luxury holidays, from romantic city breaks to exotic cruises. The holidays are available on a limited time only basis which means there are wonderful offers being added all the time.
Holidaylettings.co.uk – free gifts
If you advertise on home rental website holidaylettings.co.uk and recommend a friend or family member to put an ad up on the site you’ll get a free gift as a reward. Gifts include £50 worth of Amazon vouchers. Just click ‘Refer Now’ on this page and enter your friend’s details. You can refer as many friends as you’d like – just make sure they mention your name or Advertiser ID when registering.
3 Mobile – share up to £90 with a friend
Recommend a friend to 3 Mobile and as a thank you they’ll credit each of your accounts. If your friend goes for a phone you both get £30. If they go for Mobile Broadband you both get £15. If they choose both, that’s £45 each.
You can recommend a maximum of three friends – if they all go for the combined package, that’s £135 for you.
Just enter your details here and 3 will send you an e-mail. Forward this to your mate and if they sign up you’ll both get credited in 60 days’ time. The referred friend must quote your mobile number at the time of ordering.
Mobile credits are only available if the new customer signs up to an 18-month minimum term contract. Broadband credits are available with the Pay Monthly Mobile Broadband price plan on an 18- or 24-month minimum term contract.
Sky – get £75 M&S vouchers each
Get £75 M&S vouchers each when you introduce a friend to Sky TV. Once your friend has joined and paid their first monthly subscription, you’ll both receive your vouchers. Introduce a friend now by following this link.
Virgin media – £50 credit per friend
Just as with Sky, if you refer a friend to Virgin Media cable services, both you and the friend get a bonus. In Virgin’s case this is £50 off your bill and free installation for your friend. Just give your friend’s name and e-mail address by clicking on ‘Connect your friends now!’ on this page. Once the friend has paid their first bill Virgin will credit the referrer’s accounts with £50. You can connect as many friends as you like.
Most cashback sites pay bonuses when you get a friend to sign up. If you’re into cashback sites, this is an easy way to earn some cash while also helping your friends to save on purchases.
GreasyPalm pays £7 per friend;
Free Fivers pays £5 once the friend has earned £25;
Froggybank pays £5 for every two friends you recruit;