- Moneymagpie: RT @Jasmine: Spend £15 or more in Boots over the long weekend and receive 10 Advantage Card points per £1 you spend (24th May 2013 - 16:33)
- Moneymagpie: Check out these 10 easy ways to make quick cash...http://t.co/4zqCKZsU7a … #makemoney #savemoney #quickcash #cash #money (24th May 2013 - 16:25)
- Moneymagpie: Take a look at our 31 brilliant #money making and money #saving #ideas. One for every single day of this month. http://t.co/fcR4MT7e60 … (24th May 2013 - 16:23)
- Moneymagpie: Why not try to detox your finances this weekend. Find out how here... http://t.co/QAXrJ2RxHt … #finance #detox #budget #spending #weekend (24th May 2013 - 14:28)
- Moneymagpie: Improve your driving skills for cheaper car insurance. Find out how here... http://t.co/ePtXHNDccr #insurance #savemoney #cheapinsurance (24th May 2013 - 12:37)
- Moneymagpie: @Don03462790 No, as far as we know it's a one-off. (24th May 2013 - 10:56)
- Moneymagpie: Cute picture. Just because it's Friday! #cute #animal #baby #cutepicture #friday (24th May 2013 - 10:17)
- Moneymagpie: Find out how to make money by answering the phone here. http://t.co/7ikMhHDzwA #makemoney #howto #mobile #telephone #callcentre #money #job (24th May 2013 - 10:12)
- Moneymagpie: Free money – you might have inherited money you didn’t know about!: I’ve just been talking to a journalist at ... http://t.co/oMCrR0HGMb (24th May 2013 - 08:06)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Free money - you might have inherited money you didn't know about! - http://t.co/IfI8qvv8jD (24th May 2013 - 07:54)
- Moneymagpie: We have a very special giveaway for you! Get £20 petrol for a tenner. Be quick, though, as there are only limited... http://t.co/Mel5PC1jrF (23rd May 2013 - 17:25)
- Moneymagpie: Do you want to reduce your outgoings and save over £1,000 a year? Of course you do! Find out how here... http://t.co/xuTF1qvaAj #savemoney (23rd May 2013 - 16:31)
- Moneymagpie: Can I resell #airline and #train #tickets? Have you ever asked yourself this #question. If so here is the #answer... http://t.co/KiMevJlbIf (23rd May 2013 - 13:52)
- Moneymagpie: OFFER! Get £20 #petrol for a tenner. Only 100,000 vouchers so be quick! Claim your #voucher here... http://t.co/JQdEExW6CY #deal #bargain (23rd May 2013 - 11:20)
- Moneymagpie: It’s OK to try to look appealing forever: Labour’s Harriet Harman cites interesting but not surprising new fig... http://t.co/69Ncy07knw (23rd May 2013 - 10:38)
- Moneymagpie: Want to lose weight? Read our tips on low-cost ways to lose weight here... http://t.co/E9qVRrYTq9 #savemoney #lowcost #loseweight #healthy (23rd May 2013 - 10:30)
- Moneymagpie: New article! It's OK to try to look appealing forever - http://t.co/UFGGmNstpy (23rd May 2013 - 10:26)
- Moneymagpie: FREE £10 fuel voucher!: We’re bringing you this very special giveaway courtesy of Shell and Mighty Deals – a £... http://t.co/civOimAklI (23rd May 2013 - 09:24)
- Moneymagpie: New article! FREE £10 fuel voucher! - http://t.co/xFSbjntJwU (23rd May 2013 - 09:21)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Cheapest flights - http://t.co/HbvWdkkBj5 (23rd May 2013 - 08:53)
Don’t be a pram face
March 2, 2012
Something has been puzzling me lately.
Why, in the middle of one of the UK’s worst recessions since the war people are still spending upwards of £1k on things that they are not really going to use for very long? I’m talking about pushchairs.
I can speak from experience. My in-laws bought me a particularly flash one just before Imogen was born. Also known as a travel system it was my favourite thing – apart from Imogen and Andrew of course.
I fell out of love just as fast though when the front wheels broke 18 months later.
Anyway my point is that when the buggy was bought for us it was just as the recession started and we weren’t at that point like a lot of people worried about money. We had no way of knowing things would get quite as bad as they did; in fact in 2009 it got a lot worse (but that’s another blog).
If you are a mum-to-be reading this take heed. No pushchair is worth £1,000.
Instead, save some of that money. Find a pushchair on eBay or even scout around your neighbourhood, since we bought the ****** I’ve seen a Bugaboo on sale for £150, a Quinny given away on Freecycle and Phil & Teds for £50 in a garage sale. With some of that money treat yourself!
I’ve lost count of the women walking around our home town who have nice prams and designer nappy changing bags but look like they could do with some pampering (can I just say that I don’t know any of these women so mummy friends reading this – you all look gorgeous but then you are a sensible lot).
Treating yourself to a nice hair cut (you can go to a model night and get it done for free) or even a home facial is far cheaper then spending money on an expensive pram. Even a designer pair of jeans (which you can sell on eBay if you’ve still got baby weight to lose) is a cheaper and more usable item than a designer pram.
Take it from me and from my other mummy friends who wish they’d bought that Quinny in an NCT Nearly New Sale.
Save your money, because you never know when you might need it.
(Of course if you have the cash to spend on a buggy by all means do. But if you don’t and you are taking out credit to buy it – don’t!)