- Jasmine: RT @garwboy: I thought Dan Brown's new book had a tighter narrative but obscene product placement. Turns out I was reading Argos catalogue (21st May 2013 - 23:32)
- Jasmine: @Don03462790 Thanks for the RT! (21st May 2013 - 23:26)
- Jasmine: @FaizAhmedChohan Thanks for the RT! (21st May 2013 - 23:26)
- Moneymagpie: Make money collecting Bakelite: In its heyday, it was known as the ‘material of a thousand uses’, beloved of j... http://t.co/IxxcCtynRM (21st May 2013 - 18:13)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Make money collecting Bakelite - http://t.co/3meXENPSbk (21st May 2013 - 17:42)
- Moneymagpie: Find out 50 ways to #savemoney by being green here... http://t.co/ndHKaMazAI #environment #greenliving #recycle #green (21st May 2013 - 16:17)
- Jasmine: @NeilMullarkey Thanks for RT! (21st May 2013 - 14:46)
- Moneymagpie: Find out how to invest when you don’t know anything here... http://t.co/u3IvK0pnkH #invest #savemoney #makemoney #investing #finance #guide (21st May 2013 - 14:20)
- Moneymagpie: #COMPETITION: #Win a Samsung Galaxy S3! Competition closes on Wednesday 22 May, so hurry and get your entry in now! http://t.co/uzp0P0UB1l (21st May 2013 - 14:18)
- Jasmine: Fab, the Moneymagpie newsletter is out (after a hiaitus last week!) http://t.co/qTdtYhcHOU (21st May 2013 - 14:08)
- Jasmine: @priteshpatel9 Yes, and expectations are higher when pp are paying. Not so bad when it was paid for by the govt! (21st May 2013 - 14:01)
- Jasmine: @patrickphilpott true! (21st May 2013 - 14:01)
- Moneymagpie: Find out 5 easy ways to make money in your lunch hour here... http://t.co/vdIO8uiEp0 #makemoney #lunch #ideas #food (21st May 2013 - 12:07)
- Moneymagpie: Can I resell airline and train tickets?: If you want to sell a plane ticket that you suddenly don’t need you m... http://t.co/cCQnqX5MCi (21st May 2013 - 10:20)
- Moneymagpie: Want to know what does a good travel insurance policy look like? Find out here... http://t.co/GNbOcvWw5q #savemoney #travel #insurance (21st May 2013 - 10:11)
- Moneymagpie: So you think you’ve done a bad interview?…: …and you’re not getting the job. Well I bet you weren’t as bad as ... http://t.co/DsL7jOzSJJ (21st May 2013 - 09:09)
- Jasmine: Almost one in three first year students at UK universities say their courses are not good value (21st May 2013 - 08:54)
- Moneymagpie: New article! So you think you've done a bad interview?... - http://t.co/BN6Kp6AteU (21st May 2013 - 08:01)
- Moneymagpie: Get your wardrobe sorted for the summer: It’s that time of year when I’m agonising over whether to switch my w... http://t.co/L0RvqxtcLU (21st May 2013 - 07:56)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Get your wardrobe sorted for the summer - http://t.co/3n7oAip3bR (21st May 2013 - 07:55)
- Jasmine: No! Justin Beiber's 'Baby' is biggest-selling (inc downloads, streaming etc) record of all time. aaaaaaaaaaaaagh! (20th May 2013 - 17:57)
- Jasmine: @Poorlybee :) x #havingarickastleymomentkeepittoyourself (20th May 2013 - 17:53)
- Jasmine: @ESTargetParking you certainly will :) (20th May 2013 - 17:52)
- Jasmine: @brtoon yup, that's what I always say about it #lottery (20th May 2013 - 17:52)
- Jasmine: @Poorlybee lol! :) (20th May 2013 - 16:15)
- Moneymagpie: Read our 14 magic ways to get rich in 2013 here...http://t.co/LDoqIpjlyt #makemoney #getrich #money #magic #cash (20th May 2013 - 16:09)
- Moneymagpie: New tax credits scam to watch out for: Do you receive tax credits? If so you must be on the alert for scam ema... http://t.co/Xv03WexRaV (20th May 2013 - 15:52)
- Jasmine: @Poorlybee thanks for RT! x (20th May 2013 - 15:48)
- Moneymagpie: New article! New tax credits scam to watch out for - http://t.co/jUNHTnWYtS (20th May 2013 - 15:46)
- Jasmine: RT @Moneymagpie: 31 brilliant #money making and money #saving #ideas. One for every day of this month. http://t.co/86JJF8klDJ … (20th May 2013 - 15:17)
- Jasmine: @brtoon oh dear! Well, I hope you win something some time (20th May 2013 - 14:31)
- Moneymagpie: Find out our 12 ways to feed your family for less here... http://t.co/fcljLIETAM #savemoney #family #food #tips #advice #save #money (20th May 2013 - 14:13)
- Jasmine: How awful. Lottery ticket sales hit an all time high of £6.9billion last year. (20th May 2013 - 12:54)
- Jasmine: There will be more mobile subscriptions than people in the world by the end of next year, a/c UN (20th May 2013 - 12:37)
- Jasmine: Is this tweet masquerading as a Twitter opinion poll actually a shameless attempt to get more followers? RT: Yes Favourite: No (20th May 2013 - 12:33)
- Moneymagpie: How many mobile handsets must a human have?!: A stray news item piqued my interest a few days ago, one statist... http://t.co/5RqR0dHG3L (20th May 2013 - 12:26)
- Moneymagpie: Take a look at our 31 brilliant #money making and money #saving #ideas. One for every single day of this month. http://t.co/fcR4MT7e60 … (20th May 2013 - 12:12)
- Moneymagpie: New article! How many mobile handsets must a human have?! - http://t.co/A7Q0eyySrw (20th May 2013 - 11:55)
- Moneymagpie: What does a good travel insurance policy look like?: Holiday bookings are expected to soar this season. If you... http://t.co/ohqmlbwnZX (20th May 2013 - 11:16)
- Jasmine: RT @Clevervideos: This is wonderful. A whole kid's orchestra with instruments made from landfill junk. http://t.co/FcJNDILpZQ (19th May 2013 - 20:22)
Get extra value on your savings in a Credit Union
May 25, 2012
Writing about credit unions in post offices yesterday reminded me that I need to set up a savings account with my local credit union.
Not only do credit unions often give pretty good rates for savings and have some impressive Cash Isa rates too, but, importantly, when you put money into one of them you are actually doing good for the community.
Apparently (and I’ve heard this from people who run credit unions) every £1 you put into a credit union savings account does £10 of good for the community.
As you know, credit unions are particularly good at helping people budget and lending small amounts to borrowers who would usually be turned away by the banks.
It’s a brilliant alternative to scummy payday loans and all the other grossly-overpriced ways of lending money.
So if you set up an account with your local credit union (find your local credit union here) make sure you get a savings account and put money in there regularly. Not only should you get decent returns on it but you can know that your money will go towards helping others in your area get decent loans at a fair price and help with budgeting. In the long-term that helps all of us because it keeps down poverty levels and contributes to a more stable and safer society.