- Moneymagpie: @Don03462790 No, as far as we know it's a one-off. (24th May 2013 - 10:56)
- Moneymagpie: Cute picture. Just because it's Friday! #cute #animal #baby #cutepicture #friday (24th May 2013 - 10:17)
- Moneymagpie: Find out how to make money by answering the phone here. http://t.co/7ikMhHDzwA #makemoney #howto #mobile #telephone #callcentre #money #job (24th May 2013 - 10:12)
- Moneymagpie: Free money – you might have inherited money you didn’t know about!: I’ve just been talking to a journalist at ... http://t.co/oMCrR0HGMb (24th May 2013 - 08:06)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Free money - you might have inherited money you didn't know about! - http://t.co/IfI8qvv8jD (24th May 2013 - 07:54)
- Moneymagpie: We have a very special giveaway for you! Get £20 petrol for a tenner. Be quick, though, as there are only limited... http://t.co/Mel5PC1jrF (23rd May 2013 - 17:25)
- Moneymagpie: Do you want to reduce your outgoings and save over £1,000 a year? Of course you do! Find out how here... http://t.co/xuTF1qvaAj #savemoney (23rd May 2013 - 16:31)
- Moneymagpie: Can I resell #airline and #train #tickets? Have you ever asked yourself this #question. If so here is the #answer... http://t.co/KiMevJlbIf (23rd May 2013 - 13:52)
- Moneymagpie: OFFER! Get £20 #petrol for a tenner. Only 100,000 vouchers so be quick! Claim your #voucher here... http://t.co/JQdEExW6CY #deal #bargain (23rd May 2013 - 11:20)
- Moneymagpie: It’s OK to try to look appealing forever: Labour’s Harriet Harman cites interesting but not surprising new fig... http://t.co/69Ncy07knw (23rd May 2013 - 10:38)
- Moneymagpie: Want to lose weight? Read our tips on low-cost ways to lose weight here... http://t.co/E9qVRrYTq9 #savemoney #lowcost #loseweight #healthy (23rd May 2013 - 10:30)
- Moneymagpie: New article! It's OK to try to look appealing forever - http://t.co/UFGGmNstpy (23rd May 2013 - 10:26)
- Moneymagpie: FREE £10 fuel voucher!: We’re bringing you this very special giveaway courtesy of Shell and Mighty Deals – a £... http://t.co/civOimAklI (23rd May 2013 - 09:24)
- Moneymagpie: New article! FREE £10 fuel voucher! - http://t.co/xFSbjntJwU (23rd May 2013 - 09:21)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Cheapest flights - http://t.co/HbvWdkkBj5 (23rd May 2013 - 08:53)
- Moneymagpie: We've a really special deal to send anyone on our newsletter list tomorrow so make sure you're signed up (for free!) http://t.co/WfxSWX0ZIe (22nd May 2013 - 16:56)
- Moneymagpie: Want to make money right now? Then check out Moneymagpie’s most popular article ever here… http://t.co/4zqCKZsU7a #makemoney #savemoney (22nd May 2013 - 16:47)
- Moneymagpie: Take a look at our 44 ideas to make extra money here... http://t.co/NK4W1S0nHw #makemoney #extracash #money #parttimejob #job #moneytips (22nd May 2013 - 15:00)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Find out how to make money collecting Bakelite here... http://t.co/dbbaFmYKzd #makemoney #collecting #bakelite #cash #collect (22nd May 2013 - 13:09)
- Moneymagpie: Read our new Rip-off Britain column about the latest job scams here... http://t.co/2ugcqyV5Ke #scam #column #jobs (22nd May 2013 - 13:05)
Love your Union Jack
June 1, 2012
One of the great things about the Jubilee celebrations, and, I guess, the Olympics, is that gradually the Union Jack has been taken back into our hearts.
For most of my life it has been seen as an embarrassment – something that was only waved by BNP extremists and generally nutters. It was only when Ginger Spice wore that Union Jack dress on one of the Spice Girl’s videos that it started to be seen as something that might just be acceptable.
Last year I started to see Union Jack designs on a few bags, purses, crockery and the like, probably because of the Royal Wedding. This year, though, there’s been a quiet explosion of homeware and fashion with the design. It seems like it has finally been brought back into the mainstream. At last!
It’s about time too. So many other countries wear their flags with pride. Aussies and Kiwis have always been massively proud of their countries and their flags, wearing them on t-shirts and waving them about for any excuse. Mexico City airport has a huge Mexican flag to greet visitors. Icelandic people are enormously proud of their country and have their flag all over the place. In America, ordinary houses have the flag flying from a balcony or upper window.
You can be simply proud of your country without being prejudiced and jingoistic. It’s not healthy to be embarrassed by one’s country or culture or flag. So long as everyone who lives here and particularly those that are born here and want to take part in the culture are included, it can be a binding factor, not a divisive one.
The more normal people use the flag and the more manufacturers and retailers use it on everyday goods the more it will be taken away from extremists and the more it will have a good affect on the country.
So get that bunting out! I have put mine all over my biggest window and I love seeing it around town. Whether you’re into royalty or not, at least be into your country.