- Moneymagpie: Want to lose weight? Read our tips on low-cost ways to lose weight here... http://t.co/E9qVRrYTq9 #savemoney #lowcost #loseweight #healthy (23rd May 2013 - 10:30)
- Moneymagpie: New article! It's OK to try to look appealing forever - http://t.co/UFGGmNstpy (23rd May 2013 - 10:26)
- Moneymagpie: FREE £10 fuel voucher!: We’re bringing you this very special giveaway courtesy of Shell and Mighty Deals – a £... http://t.co/civOimAklI (23rd May 2013 - 09:24)
- Moneymagpie: New article! FREE £10 fuel voucher! - http://t.co/xFSbjntJwU (23rd May 2013 - 09:21)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Cheapest flights - http://t.co/HbvWdkkBj5 (23rd May 2013 - 08:53)
- Moneymagpie: We've a really special deal to send anyone on our newsletter list tomorrow so make sure you're signed up (for free!) http://t.co/WfxSWX0ZIe (22nd May 2013 - 16:56)
- Moneymagpie: Want to make money right now? Then check out Moneymagpie’s most popular article ever here… http://t.co/4zqCKZsU7a #makemoney #savemoney (22nd May 2013 - 16:47)
- Moneymagpie: Take a look at our 44 ideas to make extra money here... http://t.co/NK4W1S0nHw #makemoney #extracash #money #parttimejob #job #moneytips (22nd May 2013 - 15:00)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Find out how to make money collecting Bakelite here... http://t.co/dbbaFmYKzd #makemoney #collecting #bakelite #cash #collect (22nd May 2013 - 13:09)
- Moneymagpie: Read our new Rip-off Britain column about the latest job scams here... http://t.co/2ugcqyV5Ke #scam #column #jobs (22nd May 2013 - 13:05)
- Moneymagpie: More job scams: I’ve been hearing about yet more scam job posts on internet sites (particularly sites like Cra... http://t.co/Z4XzyaSqLQ (22nd May 2013 - 10:23)
- Moneymagpie: How to live on half your salary in 5 easy steps http://t.co/JtK4c4LXUJ #savemoney #save #salary #stepbystep #bills (22nd May 2013 - 10:05)
- Moneymagpie: New article! More job scams - http://t.co/aaqt0salyY (22nd May 2013 - 07:41)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Make money collecting Bakelite - http://t.co/3meXENPSbk (21st May 2013 - 17:42)
- Moneymagpie: Find out 50 ways to #savemoney by being green here... http://t.co/ndHKaMazAI #environment #greenliving #recycle #green (21st May 2013 - 16:17)
- Moneymagpie: Find out how to invest when you don’t know anything here... http://t.co/u3IvK0pnkH #invest #savemoney #makemoney #investing #finance #guide (21st May 2013 - 14:20)
- Moneymagpie: #COMPETITION: #Win a Samsung Galaxy S3! Competition closes on Wednesday 22 May, so hurry and get your entry in now! http://t.co/uzp0P0UB1l (21st May 2013 - 14:18)
- Moneymagpie: Find out 5 easy ways to make money in your lunch hour here... http://t.co/vdIO8uiEp0 #makemoney #lunch #ideas #food (21st May 2013 - 12:07)
- Moneymagpie: Can I resell airline and train tickets?: If you want to sell a plane ticket that you suddenly don’t need you m... http://t.co/cCQnqX5MCi (21st May 2013 - 10:20)
- Moneymagpie: Want to know what does a good travel insurance policy look like? Find out here... http://t.co/GNbOcvWw5q #savemoney #travel #insurance (21st May 2013 - 10:11)
Transition, pivotal moment, call it what you like, it costs!
June 23, 2012
Sorry it’s been a while. There is upheaval in them thar hills!
At the beginning of the year I said to myself I wasn’t going to spend any more money on the business but concentrate instead on getting visitor numbers and conversions up, thereby getting sales and profits up.
Yeah, whatever, it doesn’t work like that. Naïve isn’t the word!
Since the new year I’ve spent money on updating the look and useability of the old site, moving across to an entirely new site, a new Mac (which was no hardship), expanding my stock line, recruiting dog treat testers, moving over to a new Royal Mail postage account and hiring staff. And I’m one of the lucky ones, I don’t own a bricks and mortar shop so my overheads are low.
Sales have gone up, I had my best month ever in May, and I did a lot of PR, but June looks set to be the worst this year, such is the ebb and flow of online shopping. Everyone’s dead. We online shop owners say thank you to the Queen for her four day holiday, scuppers us every time! Then it’s Euro 2012, Wimbledon and the Olympics. No one I speak to on ecommerce forums thinks this is going to be a good year for sales, whether your shop trades in the ether or on the high street.
Still, gives me time to work on transition. I’ve now got to that pivotal stage where I can’t do it on my own any longer. So I’ve hired my book keeper three days a week instead of three days a month, and my lovely friend Deb is training up to take over the ordering, packing and dispatching of all the orders five afternoons a week. Which will give me time to sit at my new Mac (we had to have a second machine and I was b*ggered if I was going to buy another PC, soulless things!) to write all the pretty words, work on marketing, update every website page and make sure the SEO (search engine optimisation) is up to scratch.
I’ve realised it’s all about the marketing. You can have a terrible idea, but if you execute it right it can be a soar-away success. Look at Beta vs VHS, Microsoft vs LINUX, sugar and ‘low fat’ vs healthy eating. And I have a good idea, so there’s no reason why it shouldn’t succeed. But will it? I have no idea. I think you can plan and give and work very hard but in the end there’s a large element of luck. Some you make yourself and the rest is chance. It’s just a question of what you do with those chances when they come along. Grab it and run is my strategy!
"Small Business" ARCHIVE
Ask not what your customers can do for you…Ask what you can do for your customers. For the past two years, in January, I’ve sent out a customer survey to my...
Luckily for me, everyone likes a cute dogI love a webinar, in fact I’m getting quite addicted to them. A webinar is an online seminar you do from the sofa,...
Free Advertising aka Customer EngagementWhen you first start out in business it’s amazing who gets to know about it and how quickly your phone starts...
Running your own business? Don’t fly solo, you’ll never make it.I’m not saying don’t start a business alone, and that you shouldn’t entertain the idea of starting a venture...