- Jasmine: @brtoon oh dear! Well, I hope you win something some time (20th May 2013 - 14:31)
- Moneymagpie: Find out our 12 ways to feed your family for less here... http://t.co/fcljLIETAM #savemoney #family #food #tips #advice #save #money (20th May 2013 - 14:13)
- Jasmine: How awful. Lottery ticket sales hit an all time high of £6.9billion last year. (20th May 2013 - 12:54)
- Jasmine: There will be more mobile subscriptions than people in the world by the end of next year, a/c UN (20th May 2013 - 12:37)
- Jasmine: Is this tweet masquerading as a Twitter opinion poll actually a shameless attempt to get more followers? RT: Yes Favourite: No (20th May 2013 - 12:33)
- Moneymagpie: How many mobile handsets must a human have?!: A stray news item piqued my interest a few days ago, one statist... http://t.co/5RqR0dHG3L (20th May 2013 - 12:26)
- Moneymagpie: Take a look at our 31 brilliant #money making and money #saving #ideas. One for every single day of this month. http://t.co/fcR4MT7e60 … (20th May 2013 - 12:12)
- Moneymagpie: New article! How many mobile handsets must a human have?! - http://t.co/A7Q0eyySrw (20th May 2013 - 11:55)
- Moneymagpie: What does a good travel insurance policy look like?: Holiday bookings are expected to soar this season. If you... http://t.co/ohqmlbwnZX (20th May 2013 - 11:16)
- Moneymagpie: @dallaswillcox Take a look at our 31 brilliant #money making and money #saving #ideas. http://t.co/fcR4MT7e60 … #save (20th May 2013 - 10:13)
- Moneymagpie: Sign up to our free money making and money saving newsletter here... http://t.co/Ssqt2dosmf … #savemoney #makemoney #newsletter #save #money (20th May 2013 - 10:11)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Accident insurance - what you should know. Read more here. http://t.co/d4mt1x9XVx #accident #insurance #savemoney #advice #tips (20th May 2013 - 10:08)
- Moneymagpie: New article! What does a good travel insurance policy look like? - http://t.co/UXCrTV9Yfg (20th May 2013 - 09:20)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Accident insurance - what you should know - http://t.co/fmIbYzoPpD (20th May 2013 - 08:57)
- Jasmine: RT @Clevervideos: This is wonderful. A whole kid's orchestra with instruments made from landfill junk. http://t.co/FcJNDILpZQ (19th May 2013 - 20:22)
- Moneymagpie: Tax & recovery?: London taxes No not black cabs, but rather a thought from our Mayor Boris that London needs m... http://t.co/yLiIpB3pbH (19th May 2013 - 18:04)
- Jasmine: @clemencybh Grear prog this morning (listening now on iPlayer). The Vaughan Williams one of my all-time favourites. Thanks! (19th May 2013 - 15:56)
- Moneymagpie: Hooray! The website is back up and running. For your daily dose of #moneysaving #tips and #moneymaking #ideas visit http://t.co/Ez1t2WyGEv (19th May 2013 - 11:28)
- Moneymagpie: Woo hoo, the site's back up!! http://t.co/i4DEmdGmuy (19th May 2013 - 10:42)
- Jasmine: RT @ThePoke: It’s the final of #Eurovision tonight – use this card to generate your own personal bland euro-song http://t.co/9i3BKtzV0b (18th May 2013 - 17:47)
- Jasmine: @THEJamesWhale Horrendous (18th May 2013 - 17:00)
- Jasmine: RT @THEJamesWhale: Read this,what hope Is there for people like this.? http://t.co/pr7vSp8WNb via @MailOnline (18th May 2013 - 17:00)
- Jasmine: Lovely music from a choir I have just discovered - Renaissance http://t.co/icEyltCqeu - v restful! (18th May 2013 - 16:42)
- Jasmine: RT @ianbremmer: Average hourly wage for garment workers: Bangladesh: $.24 Cambodia: $.45 Pakistan: $.52 Vietnam: $.53 China: $1.26 (17th May 2013 - 18:21)
- Jasmine: @simoninthesand Boston. Lovely place! :) (17th May 2013 - 15:58)
- Jasmine: RT @AJMajid: “Adversity causes some men to break; others to break records.” ~ William Ward (17th May 2013 - 14:42)
- Jasmine: @BJoshee Ugh yes! (17th May 2013 - 14:42)
- Jasmine: “Thinking outside the box” and “going forward” have been voted the most hated examples of management speak (17th May 2013 - 13:39)
- Jasmine: So impressed by Virgin Atlantic flights I made this month. Why can't all airlines be like them? (17th May 2013 - 13:19)
- Moneymagpie: Smile... #smile #friday #cuteanimals #dog http://t.co/x91OcATFPf (17th May 2013 - 13:03)
- Jasmine: RT @BBCBusiness: Ofcom: 'Too many' nuisance calls http://t.co/wfhsNq68MW <<true - close these companies down! (17th May 2013 - 11:15)
- Jasmine: V good analysis of recessonary politics across the West from John Kay http://t.co/nDt7ZNOWOR (17th May 2013 - 10:55)
- Moneymagpie: In the meantime why not try this brainteaser... http://t.co/XJpy3AGxM7 (16th May 2013 - 09:39)
- Moneymagpie: The website is still experiencing technical problems. We apologise for any inconvenience. We really hope to be up... http://t.co/u6g8Dm5Ybo (16th May 2013 - 09:13)
- Moneymagpie: @VeniceAFulton Sorry, it will be there v soon! (15th May 2013 - 23:26)
- Jasmine: Lovely story about the Candy Cab in NY http://t.co/uBsmrPzCFM (15th May 2013 - 23:19)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Tax & recovery? - http://t.co/R9VVZ4IBSV (15th May 2013 - 17:00)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Top tips for single travellers - http://t.co/SvbkeDr6TO (15th May 2013 - 14:45)
- Moneymagpie: We are still experiencing technical problems. The website is currently down. We hope to be up and running very soon. (15th May 2013 - 10:22)
- Jasmine: RT @ThePoke: Go to Google images. Type in 'Atari Breakout'. Have a nice day :) (via @peachesanscream) (14th May 2013 - 14:09)
Simplicity without Electricity
April 12, 2013
Hi-tech devices – especially those made by Apple – spawn a whole ‘ecosystem’ of peripherals and accessories to enhance the user experience and to extract further cash from people’s wallets. It’s refreshing, then, to come across an accessory that is avowedly low-tech, easy to use and inexpensive.
Such is the Gramophone – a simple amplifier and stand for the iPod Touch, iPhone and iPad. Made in bright colours and of light-weight silicone, the Gramophone puts me in mind of the old-fashioned ear-trumpet. What’s more, it’s based on roughly the same principal: dock your device in the stand, play some music and the sound will be carried from the built-in speakers and directed towards a sort of horn – a miniature version of the wind-up apparatus of the same name.
Such simplicity would be impressive in its own right: it is all the more so since the Gramophone was conceived and marketed by students at a girls’ school in Kingston-upon-Thames. A group of 50 girls in year 12 of Tiffin Girls’ School have formed a company called Prime which is part of Young Enterprise – the UK’s largest business and enterprise charity. Each year about 250,000 students get involved in running a business under the guidance of entrepreneurs.
The Gramophone’s strapline is “Amplified. Simplified.” and this accurately sums up the product. The iPhone version sells for just £5 and is battling with the limited dynamic range of the device’s own speakers. The result is a bit like listening to music on the phone and reminded me of the Dial-a-Disc service so beloved of teenagers – though not their phone bill-paying parents – in the 1970s.
The iPad – even my iPad Mini – is blessed with much better speakers. Placing the device into the £10 iPad version of the Gramophone results in a pleasing and slightly louder sound. You may need to think about buying something more up-market for your next party though!
It’s fair to say that these ambitious young women have largely succeeded in their stated aim and raised a smile in the process – an extremely promising start.
Can You Hear Me, Mother?I came down to breakfast one Sunday morning when my then teenage daughter was stopping over for the weekend. She was...
Telephone for TechnophobesOut and About As Apple and Samsung continue to tie each other in knots with suits and counter-suits...
Illuminations To Go
Calling International RescueIf the reality shows on television are anything to go by, there’s no shortage of British people who get into a bit of...