- Jasmine: People who were told to think about their own mortality were more receptive to the idea of having cosmetic surgery than those who weren't (11th Jun 2013 - 18:05)
- Jasmine: @mcrcommuter Good point - it usually gets passed on to us (11th Jun 2013 - 17:49)
- Jasmine: @ajmajid Yes. I don't understand young people taking up smoking - makes no sense! (11th Jun 2013 - 17:48)
- Jasmine: effects of passive smoking on children costs the NHS £23m a year by causing 300,000 GP visits and 9,500 hospital admissions. (11th Jun 2013 - 17:41)
- Jasmine: RT @EdConwaySky: The financial nitroglycerine buried under the Bank of England. Quick blog: http://t.co/P18zbR4KtQ (11th Jun 2013 - 15:50)
- Jasmine: @pinkiejones Actually yes, they probably are! (11th Jun 2013 - 15:00)
- Jasmine: @iansearle lol! (11th Jun 2013 - 15:00)
- Jasmine: @photostrada Sadly, yes! (11th Jun 2013 - 13:28)
- Jasmine: @will_becker True! (11th Jun 2013 - 13:27)
- Jasmine: @pensionschamp Interesting! (11th Jun 2013 - 12:29)
- Jasmine: @neiljamesh Certainly looks like it± (11th Jun 2013 - 12:28)
- Jasmine: @emmalporter Yes, prob too expensive too (11th Jun 2013 - 12:27)
- Jasmine: 10% of secondary pupils think tomatoes grow underground (11th Jun 2013 - 12:27)
- Jasmine: 29% of primary school pupils think cheese comes from plants; 1 in 5 think main ingredient in fish fingers is chicken; (11th Jun 2013 - 12:27)
- Jasmine: @pensionschamp I wonder! (11th Jun 2013 - 11:57)
- Jasmine: @pensionschamp Good point! I'm slipping - yes, ultimately it will cost us! (11th Jun 2013 - 11:56)
- Jasmine: Not one office in the Shard is being rented; its only occupants are a restaurant and a viewing gallery (72 storeys empty) (11th Jun 2013 - 11:55)
- Jasmine: RT @liamdutton: A wet few days lie ahead as areas of low pressure form an orderly queue to the SW of the UK - http://t.co/iTGWklTamm (11th Jun 2013 - 11:55)
- Jasmine: Around 50 per cent of all whiplash claims arising from car crashes are fraudulent - costs the industry £1 billion a year (11th Jun 2013 - 11:50)
- Jasmine: RT @scaryduck: Vladimir Putin's getting a divorce. I think that's all his midlife crisis boxes ticked http://t.co/0tUQUpMRzF (7th Jun 2013 - 08:35)
Another rental scam on Gumtree
August 1, 2010
There’s yet another nasty scam targeting would-be tenants looking for places to rent on Gumtree.com.
The way it works is that unsuspecting potential tenants, usually from overseas, reply to advertisements on the website. After supposed satisfactory emails, tenants are asked to send money to the ‘landlord’. They then send the money but when they try to make contact with the ‘landlord’ or even collect the keys to the property, the ‘landlord’ is uncontactable and the potential tenant has been defrauded.
In this latest scam, the ‘landlord’ claims to be a member of the National Landlords Association (NLA), uses the NLA logo and has created fake stationary copying the NLA Tenant Check service.
Richard Price, Director of Operations, NLA, commenting on the new scam, says “tenants, no matter where they are from, should not send payment to advertisers before they are certain that the advertiser is genuine. Overseas applicants needing to secure accommodation before they arrive in the UK would be well advised to first seek the help of the employer or university they are coming to. They will be knowledgeable of standard practices in the UK and often have lists of accredited landlords and local letting agents.”
If anyone wants to check whether a prospective landlord is a member of the National Landlords Association go to Goodlandlord.org.uk
Let’s also hope that Gumtree.com will put a lot more warnings on all the property pages of their site. Foreign visitors particularly need to be protected.