- Win an M&S Christmas Hamper! Only 8 days to go..http://t.co/abKWv7zfgI #Christmas #hamper #competition (5th Dec 2013 - 11:31)
- What a doll! You can make money collecting Barbies http://t.co/24SwHLXyB1 #barbies #doll #makemoney (5th Dec 2013 - 09:29)
- RT @mrshunts: #Live-in or #live-out Housekeeper required in #North #London from Monday to Friday 7am to 7pm to start asap (4th Dec 2013 - 19:43)
- Christmastime Dream Routes Through Eastern Germany: Like Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz, emerging from a world o... http://t.co/XLJqMDq6u0 (4th Dec 2013 - 17:39)
- Switch your bank if you're a customer of RBS, Ulster or Natwest!: http://t.co/Gyjw5N1miL via @YouTube (4th Dec 2013 - 15:57)
- Don't get caught out..here are the last Christmas posting dates. http://t.co/qvd04msUKR #Christmas #postage #onlineshopping (4th Dec 2013 - 15:26)
- RT @topnotchnannies: #Governess needed in #Montreux and #Moscow/#Spain, £1000 gross per week. (4th Dec 2013 - 14:05)
- There are some #bargains to be had at the moment, including up to 50% off dresses at Debenhams...... http://t.co/3W1P0ekbKe (4th Dec 2013 - 13:30)
- Save water and cut your bills. We have 10 ways to cut your water usage http://t.co/xK5rPo06PC #savemoney #savewater #green (4th Dec 2013 - 11:30)
- Need a hair cut? Why not sell your hair? http://t.co/5rH7u5iGu8 #makemoney #haircut #extracash (4th Dec 2013 - 09:31)
- Watch out for RBS/NatWest/Ulster Bank phishing emails: The NatWest/RBS/Ulster Bank problems that hit customers... http://t.co/4r88HCvWrE (4th Dec 2013 - 07:43)
- If you have some Ladybird books lurking on your bookshelves, you could be missing a money spinner. Our guide... http://t.co/PC1380xaVb (3rd Dec 2013 - 17:30)
- Boost your job prospects for free! http://t.co/JMdZ5MvikD #savemoney #training #free (3rd Dec 2013 - 13:31)
- Sign up for our #Newsletter today http://t.co/tF7LmXomLM We've got an exclusive deal on eBooks #savemoney #eBooks (3rd Dec 2013 - 11:31)
- Brrrr! It's getting cold. Read this and survive the winter blues.. http://t.co/nMVaMSg96r #winter #keepcosy #cold (3rd Dec 2013 - 09:33)
- Exclusive Christmas 2013 Moneymagpie offer: Get THREE books for the price of ONE For a limited period only, gr... http://t.co/i70iO4xi1R (2nd Dec 2013 - 17:06)
- Want to #makemoney right now? Then check out Moneymagpie’s top 10 ways to make money fast here... http://t.co/4zqCKZsU7a #makequickcash (2nd Dec 2013 - 14:35)
Are you one of the squeezed middle?
January 26, 2012
So Nick Clegg wants to help the ‘squeezed middle’ – those of us who work continuously, pay taxes and still don’t have enough money to get our teeth fixed, get the boiler mended or have a holiday.
I was talking about this on 5Live last night and all the callers were people on middle-paying jobs (£26,000-36,000 or so) who were not managing more than paying absolute basics, particularly if they had children.
I have said for a while that the personal tax allowance should be raised to £10,000. At the moment it’s £7,475 for adults of working age (it goes up once you’re 65) but that’s not good enough. I think that if we raised it to £10,000 that would encourage people on little or no income to make extra cash on the side where possible. I have talked to a few people – particularly women bringing up kids on their own – who would like to try to get some money in but they are stopped by benefits and tax. I don’t like the benefits culture but some people can’t cope without them – even with them they’re barely making ends meet and I’d like them to have the chance to make money legally.
It’s a tough one – we need taxation to keep the NHS going and education going and all our infrastructure, particularly as we are an ageing population and many more need care every year. It’s hard to make it fair and workable. Nick Clegg’s idea of taxing the rich more sounds reasonable although we have to be careful there. Many of the rich are keeping employment going in this country. If they’re over-taxed they will leave like they did in the 70′s when Labour brought in super-tax. It was bad for the economy and that’s the last thing we need right now.