April 29, 2013
I’ve just had my regular emailing from the local Neighbourhood Watch. It included a really helpful list of points from the local police on how to safeguard your possessions and foil burglars. I realise I need to do a few of them asap. Here they are – enjoy!
Top tips for securing your home:
1. Mark or Etch your property with your full postcode and house or flat number.
2. Register items with a serial number at: Immobilize.com especially bicycles, laptops and mobile phones.
3. Do not leave your car keys or ID documents near doors, letterbox or windows.
4. Always check who’s at the door and don’t open it if you feel anxious.
5. Close & lock all doors and windows, even if you’re out only for a few minutes.
6. Keep your valuables out of sight.
7. Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
8. Consider installing a monitored burglar alarm.
9. Always keep sheds and outbuildings securely locked.
10. Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.
11. For communal entrances please remember the following:
For further information on how to protect your home from being burgled go to Crimereduction or Bumblebee.