- Moneymagpie: RT @Jasmine: Spend £15 or more in Boots over the long weekend and receive 10 Advantage Card points per £1 you spend (24th May 2013 - 16:33)
- Moneymagpie: Check out these 10 easy ways to make quick cash...http://t.co/4zqCKZsU7a … #makemoney #savemoney #quickcash #cash #money (24th May 2013 - 16:25)
- Moneymagpie: Take a look at our 31 brilliant #money making and money #saving #ideas. One for every single day of this month. http://t.co/fcR4MT7e60 … (24th May 2013 - 16:23)
- Moneymagpie: Why not try to detox your finances this weekend. Find out how here... http://t.co/QAXrJ2RxHt … #finance #detox #budget #spending #weekend (24th May 2013 - 14:28)
- Moneymagpie: Improve your driving skills for cheaper car insurance. Find out how here... http://t.co/ePtXHNDccr #insurance #savemoney #cheapinsurance (24th May 2013 - 12:37)
- Moneymagpie: @Don03462790 No, as far as we know it's a one-off. (24th May 2013 - 10:56)
- Moneymagpie: Cute picture. Just because it's Friday! #cute #animal #baby #cutepicture #friday (24th May 2013 - 10:17)
- Moneymagpie: Find out how to make money by answering the phone here. http://t.co/7ikMhHDzwA #makemoney #howto #mobile #telephone #callcentre #money #job (24th May 2013 - 10:12)
- Moneymagpie: Free money – you might have inherited money you didn’t know about!: I’ve just been talking to a journalist at ... http://t.co/oMCrR0HGMb (24th May 2013 - 08:06)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Free money - you might have inherited money you didn't know about! - http://t.co/IfI8qvv8jD (24th May 2013 - 07:54)
- Moneymagpie: We have a very special giveaway for you! Get £20 petrol for a tenner. Be quick, though, as there are only limited... http://t.co/Mel5PC1jrF (23rd May 2013 - 17:25)
- Moneymagpie: Do you want to reduce your outgoings and save over £1,000 a year? Of course you do! Find out how here... http://t.co/xuTF1qvaAj #savemoney (23rd May 2013 - 16:31)
- Moneymagpie: Can I resell #airline and #train #tickets? Have you ever asked yourself this #question. If so here is the #answer... http://t.co/KiMevJlbIf (23rd May 2013 - 13:52)
- Moneymagpie: OFFER! Get £20 #petrol for a tenner. Only 100,000 vouchers so be quick! Claim your #voucher here... http://t.co/JQdEExW6CY #deal #bargain (23rd May 2013 - 11:20)
- Moneymagpie: It’s OK to try to look appealing forever: Labour’s Harriet Harman cites interesting but not surprising new fig... http://t.co/69Ncy07knw (23rd May 2013 - 10:38)
- Moneymagpie: Want to lose weight? Read our tips on low-cost ways to lose weight here... http://t.co/E9qVRrYTq9 #savemoney #lowcost #loseweight #healthy (23rd May 2013 - 10:30)
- Moneymagpie: New article! It's OK to try to look appealing forever - http://t.co/UFGGmNstpy (23rd May 2013 - 10:26)
- Moneymagpie: FREE £10 fuel voucher!: We’re bringing you this very special giveaway courtesy of Shell and Mighty Deals – a £... http://t.co/civOimAklI (23rd May 2013 - 09:24)
- Moneymagpie: New article! FREE £10 fuel voucher! - http://t.co/xFSbjntJwU (23rd May 2013 - 09:21)
- Moneymagpie: New article! Cheapest flights - http://t.co/HbvWdkkBj5 (23rd May 2013 - 08:53)
Nasty ‘scam’ emails apparently from friends
December 14, 2010
I’ve just had a scam email from someone I have never met but with whom have had some email.
The message had ‘vacation trip…help needed urgently!!!’ in the subject line and read:
“I’m currently in Spain, on a short vacation as I write this … what happened today is unbelievable, and now I am stuck here. I got mugged at gun point on my way to the hotel and my money, credit cards, phone and other valuables were stolen. Thank God they did not take my passport. I urgently need your help. I just need (1,550 EUROS) to sort out my hotel bills and I promise to pay you back once I get home.
I do have cash in my account, but I can’t access it right now because I had to cancel all my credit cards that were stolen!! I’m sending this from a free internet connection at the public library. I will be forever grateful if you can help me. Please respond quickly, as my flight leaves in less than 4hours and I need to pay my hotel bill. Please save me from the embarrassment of not being able to cover the charges.”
Happily I know about these emails. In fact Matthew Wright (of The Wright Stuff) told me about one he had had, supposedly from a friend of his.
The emails are created by nasty hackers who get into someone’s email account and send this out to everyone in their address book.
As you can see, it looks quite believable, particularly if it comes from a friend who could perhaps go on holiday to Spain and may need help.
One giveaway that I noticed, though, was that the ‘reply’ email address looked exactly like her gmail one except that it was ‘ymail.com’. This means that if you did reply to it your email would go to the hackers who would pretend to be your friend and give you their own account for you to transfer the money. Dodgy eh?
So, be warned and tell your friends – this is a scam that’s been going on for a few years and it won’t stop any time soon. Don’t be fooled by it.