- Dogs are marvellous! http://t.co/10RY2M9SxO (30th Aug 2014 - 18:44)
- We have 100s of money saving ideas. Click here to take a look http://t.co/Tpf2C6qRhp #makemoney #ideas #tips http://t.co/yLRBXEagTg (30th Aug 2014 - 18:20)
- Find out how to make money buying baggage in 4 easy steps here... http://t.co/kUuywMZ00R #makemoney #buying #luggage http://t.co/pUe1pO6O5j (30th Aug 2014 - 16:10)
- Only one day left to find out how to #makemoney & #savemoney in August. Find our more here... http://t.co/1LQOpMmCYp http://t.co/vb3a3ZmTgn (30th Aug 2014 - 14:31)
- Take a look at Jasmine's 7 day guide to sorting out your finances here... http://t.co/pbfp5dbGGR #finance #guide #makemoney #savemoney (30th Aug 2014 - 14:00)
- What is a social enterprise? Read our guide here... http://t.co/1Y2PEE24Z4 #business #startup #socialenterprise http://t.co/GOf8Kph9rB (29th Aug 2014 - 17:25)
- How can I get cheap phone calls abroad? @Jasmine answers your questions in her latest #AskJasmine video https://t.co/8j2r1rs9fL #travel (29th Aug 2014 - 16:30)
- Looking for a late summer read? Beat Amazon #book prices with Flubit http://t.co/PCMhewgLjY (29th Aug 2014 - 16:19)
- Ten ways to save money at the airport. Read more here... http://t.co/Z9VU9sCuiQ #travel #savemoney #holiday #airport http://t.co/N9bM1g7lDD (29th Aug 2014 - 15:25)
- Financial horrors and how to beat them... http://t.co/bl6NpZAMNV #debt #bankrupt #savemoney http://t.co/CsJSmBU11r (29th Aug 2014 - 14:20)
- Looking for a late summer read? Beat Amazon’s book prices with Flubit: It’s been a lovely British summer so fa... http://t.co/XizWZ9zj3q (29th Aug 2014 - 14:13)
- There are loads of fun, simple ways for seniors to earn #money. Take a look at our ideas http://t.co/8wfOeIdF0g http://t.co/Goub0hZYaq (29th Aug 2014 - 13:10)
- Did you know #NISAs can help you be a millionaire? Find out how http://t.co/fzAK9t9y5B #NISAs #Investing #makemoney http://t.co/gdTEl9mdL5 (28th Aug 2014 - 12:30)
- RT @Jasmine: Eurostar tickets for £59 return to Paris, Brussels and Lille on offer from today. Go get 'em! (28th Aug 2014 - 11:59)
- Want to make quick cash? We have 10 easy ways here... http://t.co/NIzsKtoIS7 #makemoney #quickcash #competition http://t.co/jxTmbYVti3 (28th Aug 2014 - 10:20)
- Save money supermarket shopping. Find out more here... http://t.co/urtGwqg2vD #savemoney #shopping #cheapdeals (28th Aug 2014 - 08:25)
- Ah, nothing better than a warm puppy! http://t.co/gJfjhnJlTJ (27th Aug 2014 - 18:40)
- We have a load of exciting #competitions for you to enter today. Take a look http://t.co/bk36QUZVUw #win #prizes http://t.co/N4OnWLBrqi (27th Aug 2014 - 17:25)
- @moneyaware thanks for RT! (27th Aug 2014 - 16:16)
- Bertie is wondering if now is a good time to invest in #property. See our advice here http://t.co/k5hkbGxZA9 … http://t.co/HoD3PHtP72 (27th Aug 2014 - 15:50)
THE QUESTIONI bought a renault Car on HP which is now paid off. I bought it in Sept 2006 and traded in another car. The HP was approximately Â£3000 but the company put a gap insurance on it. I felt it was pushed on me, am I able to claim it back? Thanks Wendy
Wendy Bentick, Coventry
THE ANSWERHi Wendy, GAP insurance is often added to hire purchase agreements. This is because if you have an accident and write off your car before the end of the hire purchase agreement, your car insurance company may only pay you what the car is worth at that point in time. Because cars depreciate, this may be less than what you owe the hire purchase company.
For example, if the car was originally £4000, and you crashed it after paying off £500, but your car insurers decide that at the time of the accident, your car was only worth £2000, the GAP insurance would cover you for the £1500 difference. GAP insurance can be very useful, but it’s not compulsory, so if you were told you had to have it, you’re right to complain.
We spoke to Martyn James at the Financial Ombudsman, who told us he had seen an increase in complaints about this type of insurance. He says the first thing you should do is to make a complaint, in writing, to the insurance broker, or GAP insurance company who arranged the GAP insurance for you in the first place. Simply say that you are unhappy because you feel the insurance was pushed on you.
If this doesn’t work, your next port of call is the Financial Ombudsman. You can call their helpline free on 0800 023 4567. If you’re not confident making the initial complaint to the insurance company, they will help you with this too.
It’s worth noting that although there are similarities between GAP insurance and PPI, it is a separate issue. Unlike PPI, there has been no court ruling specifying that customers who have been mis-sold GAP insurance must be compensated, and no there is standard complaints form, but don’t let this hold you back.