- There's only 93 days until #Christmas and we think you should start saving now! Read more here http://t.co/q60eMpByto http://t.co/51XZ2LYsIa (22nd Sep 2014 - 13:35)
- For weekly money saving & money making ideas sign-up to our #newsletter here... http://t.co/S1iifO7e4t #free (22nd Sep 2014 - 11:30)
- It's Monday morning, which can only mean one thing - it's time for some #MondayMorningMotivation #quote http://t.co/aspr7aBFzo (22nd Sep 2014 - 10:05)
- Take a look at these 30 money making #tips and money saving ideas for #September here http://t.co/f5sdv2w2Ji #money http://t.co/Uofp0zEJ3w (22nd Sep 2014 - 08:45)
- Looking for easy ways to #makemoney on the side? Take a look at our 44 ideas here http://t.co/7DNsxWPrnT #parttime (21st Sep 2014 - 16:20)
- We have a great selection of #ebook written by @Moneymagpie team. Take a look here http://t.co/jzOk6YsCOr #makemoney #free... (21st Sep 2014 - 14:05)
- Seven quick ways to pay off debt. http://t.co/WXOgIipzvQ #debt #repossession #savemoney http://t.co/yQa0XZiK8z (21st Sep 2014 - 12:05)
- Pensions for babies. Yes it's a real thing. Take a look here... http://t.co/pKHkQ4ROgT #savemoney #pensions #invest http://t.co/s7JmAP6ppt (21st Sep 2014 - 10:25)
- Get involved to support the National Literacy Trust with @flubitweet. https://t.co/hq7xVOZ0N7 #books #September #reading #children (21st Sep 2014 - 08:00)
- Make money donating sperm or eggs. Find out how here... http://t.co/n7Vs8FNWsW #makemoney #donating #spermdonor http://t.co/1JCls4A4hU (20th Sep 2014 - 18:45)
- Wedding insurance – How to protect your big day http://t.co/v2aCPcred0 #savemoney #wedding #tips http://t.co/HQxhMpyT17 (20th Sep 2014 - 16:25)
- Cheap and healthy eating made easy. Read more here... http://t.co/SiPKve7H9F #savemoney #healthy #cheap #recipe http://t.co/qQmF1D3nkg (20th Sep 2014 - 14:45)
- #Diamonds are a girls best friend! Find out how to make money #investing in diamonds here... http://t.co/AaDcJxh2cp http://t.co/V73BhbfmX2 (20th Sep 2014 - 12:40)
- Need to find a lawyer for less? Click here for our essential guide http://t.co/eE7Tn6j9rt #savemoney #legal #lawyer http://t.co/EflRllxsae (20th Sep 2014 - 10:40)
- Take control of your spending this weekend. Click here for our guide http://t.co/9xCrGLFqLj #savemoney #budget #diary http://t.co/NuS1wp0Tik (20th Sep 2014 - 08:35)
- Take a look at these 7 magnificent ways to #makemoney... http://t.co/A0v9LwlPkT #cash #survey http://t.co/8f5OBVd4tz (19th Sep 2014 - 18:35)
- Victoria, British Columbia: Canada’s Crown Jewel: It’s 7:30 a.m. and the 132-foot Victoria Clipper IV is depar... http://t.co/hRgWq46e1j (19th Sep 2014 - 17:00)
- “They think it’s all over – well it is now” – but it isn’t!: I have to say I was very relieved on Friday morni... http://t.co/fVRQheuBTr (19th Sep 2014 - 17:00)
THE QUESTIONI bought a renault Car on HP which is now paid off. I bought it in Sept 2006 and traded in another car. The HP was approximately Â£3000 but the company put a gap insurance on it. I felt it was pushed on me, am I able to claim it back? Thanks Wendy
Wendy Bentick, Coventry
THE ANSWERHi Wendy, GAP insurance is often added to hire purchase agreements. This is because if you have an accident and write off your car before the end of the hire purchase agreement, your car insurance company may only pay you what the car is worth at that point in time. Because cars depreciate, this may be less than what you owe the hire purchase company.
For example, if the car was originally £4000, and you crashed it after paying off £500, but your car insurers decide that at the time of the accident, your car was only worth £2000, the GAP insurance would cover you for the £1500 difference. GAP insurance can be very useful, but it’s not compulsory, so if you were told you had to have it, you’re right to complain.
We spoke to Martyn James at the Financial Ombudsman, who told us he had seen an increase in complaints about this type of insurance. He says the first thing you should do is to make a complaint, in writing, to the insurance broker, or GAP insurance company who arranged the GAP insurance for you in the first place. Simply say that you are unhappy because you feel the insurance was pushed on you.
If this doesn’t work, your next port of call is the Financial Ombudsman. You can call their helpline free on 0800 023 4567. If you’re not confident making the initial complaint to the insurance company, they will help you with this too.
It’s worth noting that although there are similarities between GAP insurance and PPI, it is a separate issue. Unlike PPI, there has been no court ruling specifying that customers who have been mis-sold GAP insurance must be compensated, and no there is standard complaints form, but don’t let this hold you back.