- RT @louisa_compton: Come and work at @bbcnewsbeat. We're looking for an experienced social media producer http://t.co/XVkEdIXPvy #jobs (1st Aug 2014 - 17:24)
- Make and save money every day this month! Read this article to find out how! http://t.co/1LQOpM5zWp (1st Aug 2014 - 16:17)
- Bargain: Get 2 years of FREE unlimited broadband for Sky Sport Customers by clicking here! http://t.co/U94JvR5xtw (1st Aug 2014 - 09:00)
- Bargain: Looking for some fun in the sun? Thomas cook is offering last minute summer holidays from £349! http://t.co/FvjqolJtDg (31st Jul 2014 - 12:00)
- Are you passionate about photography? Would you like to earn some money from it? Figure out how here! http://t.co/vwEqgJtvwn #makemoney (31st Jul 2014 - 09:20)
- Bargain: Sky SALE - Get 25% off a 12 month TV order PLUS £75 of bill credit by clicking here! http://t.co/lrSIRtduGo (30th Jul 2014 - 14:00)
- Check out the winners of this month's competition on our Facebook page! https://t.co/8eLds4EqvM Congratulations @compingsus and @AnPatMedia (30th Jul 2014 - 11:01)
- Take a look at the bargains on offer! Winners will be announced tomorrow at 12:00pm http://t.co/x0fDUdjwth #newslettercomp #competition (29th Jul 2014 - 16:10)
- Thinking of investing in a property? Read this article first http://t.co/YlDi7Y5Xz9 #investment #realestate (29th Jul 2014 - 11:00)
- Helsinki Finland, Summertime Fun in the Land of the Midnight Sun: While Helsinki may be one of the coldest des... http://t.co/s1FYBQpFa2 (27th Jul 2014 - 19:26)
- I've signed RT @ImageOfWildlife: Please EVERYONE Sign & Share. Help get Arturo out of hellhole http://t.co/1RI0D8RiPF http://t.co/BWpfODSFBc (26th Jul 2014 - 10:34)
- Cardamom Chicken: I believe I may have mentioned before, just a couple of thousand times, that cardamom is my ... http://t.co/pwy2gEakGK (25th Jul 2014 - 14:31)
- Find out the genuine mystery shopping agencies - not the dodgy ones that take your money - here http://t.co/4L7vPg0WPJ… #newslettercomp (23rd Jul 2014 - 11:00)
- Pensions for babies. Yes it's a real thing. Take a look here... http://t.co/pKHkQ4ALeT #savemoney #pensions #invest http://t.co/88fGkT8ydq (22nd Jul 2014 - 14:20)
- What is a social enterprise? Read our guide here... http://t.co/nH7Ef11eA0 … #business #startup #socialenterprise http://t.co/o5rpFLKIV2 (22nd Jul 2014 - 12:40)
- Help @Jasmine raise money to help children in her local area. #Donate today here... https://t.co/bh6zE0RtCL #charity http://t.co/pZ98cd9zl0 (22nd Jul 2014 - 10:45)
- Confused about freelance finances? Read our guide here... http://t.co/c5CkLzRUYT #freelance #selfemployed #startup http://t.co/TkVOf0whXc (22nd Jul 2014 - 08:40)
- Find out the genuine mystery shopping agencies - not the dodgy ones that take your money - here http://t.co/4L7vPg0WPJ… #newslettercomp (21st Jul 2014 - 12:08)
THE QUESTIONI bought a renault Car on HP which is now paid off. I bought it in Sept 2006 and traded in another car. The HP was approximately Â£3000 but the company put a gap insurance on it. I felt it was pushed on me, am I able to claim it back? Thanks Wendy
Wendy Bentick, Coventry
THE ANSWERHi Wendy, GAP insurance is often added to hire purchase agreements. This is because if you have an accident and write off your car before the end of the hire purchase agreement, your car insurance company may only pay you what the car is worth at that point in time. Because cars depreciate, this may be less than what you owe the hire purchase company.
For example, if the car was originally £4000, and you crashed it after paying off £500, but your car insurers decide that at the time of the accident, your car was only worth £2000, the GAP insurance would cover you for the £1500 difference. GAP insurance can be very useful, but it’s not compulsory, so if you were told you had to have it, you’re right to complain.
We spoke to Martyn James at the Financial Ombudsman, who told us he had seen an increase in complaints about this type of insurance. He says the first thing you should do is to make a complaint, in writing, to the insurance broker, or GAP insurance company who arranged the GAP insurance for you in the first place. Simply say that you are unhappy because you feel the insurance was pushed on you.
If this doesn’t work, your next port of call is the Financial Ombudsman. You can call their helpline free on 0800 023 4567. If you’re not confident making the initial complaint to the insurance company, they will help you with this too.
It’s worth noting that although there are similarities between GAP insurance and PPI, it is a separate issue. Unlike PPI, there has been no court ruling specifying that customers who have been mis-sold GAP insurance must be compensated, and no there is standard complaints form, but don’t let this hold you back.