- Want to make money looking after animals? Find out how here... http://t.co/w5KBB1WOLq #makemoney #animal #pets http://t.co/fpcuU9sGT1 (1st Oct 2014 - 14:30)
- How to run a family for half price... http://t.co/V0l20aIfF6 #savemoney #family #money #tips http://t.co/XbrlNMMH6G (1st Oct 2014 - 12:35)
- Find out how you can save £1000s a year here... http://t.co/q5Mi8EXulT @GoSoberUK #Gosober #makemoney (1st Oct 2014 - 10:30)
- Seamlessly sharing videos of any length, on any device, anywhere: Recent results show that one particular and ... http://t.co/78cAVLxB2Z (1st Oct 2014 - 10:00)
- 5 ways to make money using Twitter. Take a look here... http://t.co/rSLrzLWSMN #Twitter #makemoney #startup #social (1st Oct 2014 - 08:30)
- Want to make £10 an hour answering questions? Find out how here... http://t.co/LOADT13wEo #makemoney #job #parttime http://t.co/egcaJ1kWja (30th Sep 2014 - 16:16)
- 7 great ways to invest for your children... http://t.co/pgkcBYEzXZ #makemoney #invest #savemoney http://t.co/GCCupkER8m (30th Sep 2014 - 14:16)
- RT via @ImmediatePR1 : Talented creatives of the #Twitter world - this is a must read: http://t.co/Q3ZK5nfkqx @moneymagpie @kkmpx - (30th Sep 2014 - 13:31)
- It's #October tomorrow. Find out how to #makemoney & #savemoney every day in October here... http://t.co/2Y6QBpDIAu http://t.co/dEdmgtt5sk (30th Sep 2014 - 12:06)
- RT @ArmyInLondon: You have until end of the week to choose our new cover photo, the picture with the most RTs wins http://t.co/Jy867TVSUT (30th Sep 2014 - 11:20)
- Our FREE #Newsletter is out today so make sure you don't miss out and sign up here... http://t.co/S1iifO7e4t #free http://t.co/Cemk6jowDA (30th Sep 2014 - 09:48)
- Make money and save money every day this October: October’s here and that means summer is officially over! Eve... http://t.co/mG73qEJgE0 (30th Sep 2014 - 08:13)
- Avoid a £1,000 fine by reading this... http://t.co/nnJBJv3OAZ #cartax #newrules #October http://t.co/ktZqa9KRgx (29th Sep 2014 - 16:25)
- 5 secrets for improving your credit history. Read more here... http://t.co/R5U7JXapjl #makemoney #credit #loan http://t.co/62SBNp4Z5W (29th Sep 2014 - 14:35)
- @conveyancing_uk Just email marc.crosby at http://t.co/HSziCUIDpe and he will give you prices (29th Sep 2014 - 10:55)
THE QUESTIONI bought a renault Car on HP which is now paid off. I bought it in Sept 2006 and traded in another car. The HP was approximately Â£3000 but the company put a gap insurance on it. I felt it was pushed on me, am I able to claim it back? Thanks Wendy
Wendy Bentick, Coventry
THE ANSWERHi Wendy, GAP insurance is often added to hire purchase agreements. This is because if you have an accident and write off your car before the end of the hire purchase agreement, your car insurance company may only pay you what the car is worth at that point in time. Because cars depreciate, this may be less than what you owe the hire purchase company.
For example, if the car was originally £4000, and you crashed it after paying off £500, but your car insurers decide that at the time of the accident, your car was only worth £2000, the GAP insurance would cover you for the £1500 difference. GAP insurance can be very useful, but it’s not compulsory, so if you were told you had to have it, you’re right to complain.
We spoke to Martyn James at the Financial Ombudsman, who told us he had seen an increase in complaints about this type of insurance. He says the first thing you should do is to make a complaint, in writing, to the insurance broker, or GAP insurance company who arranged the GAP insurance for you in the first place. Simply say that you are unhappy because you feel the insurance was pushed on you.
If this doesn’t work, your next port of call is the Financial Ombudsman. You can call their helpline free on 0800 023 4567. If you’re not confident making the initial complaint to the insurance company, they will help you with this too.
It’s worth noting that although there are similarities between GAP insurance and PPI, it is a separate issue. Unlike PPI, there has been no court ruling specifying that customers who have been mis-sold GAP insurance must be compensated, and no there is standard complaints form, but don’t let this hold you back.