- Paid online surveys can help you make money while you’re in front of the computer http://t.co/JcJ6XFW77e #paidsurvey #makemoney #money (14th Jan 2014 - 17:11)
- Kale Superfood Soup: Kale is, as you may know, a superfood (which – to me – means: it’s just good for you – vi... http://t.co/BXG5IwXJsv (14th Jan 2014 - 15:36)
- Make money selling your hair. Find out how here... http://t.co/1BTxXbkwE2 #makemoney #wigs #beauty (14th Jan 2014 - 14:38)
- Seven quick ways to pay off debt. Read more here... http://t.co/rNW3F9Wbge #debt #savemoney #advice http://t.co/NAA3T4Mb8F (14th Jan 2014 - 11:35)
- Our food blogger...RT @sarahlockett: Got the abaya on ready for work in #Riyadh tomorrow. Quite like it! http://t.co/Nv1I4821ZV (13th Jan 2014 - 22:01)
- How can we make Britain better?: As you know, we’ve had a competition for readers to come up with the ONE thin... http://t.co/5xXlC5K0xp (13th Jan 2014 - 21:40)
- Google+ hangout: http://t.co/bd8Ms68wwR via @YouTube (13th Jan 2014 - 18:10)
- Take a look at our 10 ways you can make money here... http://t.co/4zqCKZsU7a … #makemoney #quickcash #10ways http://t.co/oHukl7XO6l (13th Jan 2014 - 16:18)
- Find out how to make £25 an hour as a Virtual Assistant here... http://t.co/SM64SYBa3Z #makemoney #assistant #job (13th Jan 2014 - 13:32)
- #Monday again! http://t.co/oncpcc4fv6 (13th Jan 2014 - 10:42)
- Find out how you can make people #happy without breaking the bank here http://t.co/UKMEpsvcFu #savemoney #gifts http://t.co/OJFBVkVhC6 (13th Jan 2014 - 09:20)
- If you're looking for a #bargain hit the #charity shops, or donate your unwanted things. http://t.co/ZdAN4BrwWx http://t.co/SVkucmuhbd (12th Jan 2014 - 17:31)
- #Guarantees and #Warranties- what you need to know. Find out here... http://t.co/YIaToTuTSo … #shopping #save http://t.co/kaC8h4v1Y8 (12th Jan 2014 - 15:01)
- Take a look at Jasmine's 7 day guide to sorting out your finances here... http://t.co/pbfp5dbGGR #guide #finance #budget (12th Jan 2014 - 13:01)
- Find out how to #makemoney & #savemoney every day this January here... http://t.co/ecBI2y7tDA … #January http://t.co/3hRmdPfGsU (12th Jan 2014 - 11:00)
- Need money for a #business idea? Take a look at our guide to #crowdfunding http://t.co/wqduYUPDUl #money http://t.co/SFSOJBbMlu (11th Jan 2014 - 17:30)
- Want to win a personalised hamper? Jasmine tells you how here... http://t.co/TBNFWLFH5V … #Government #competition #win (11th Jan 2014 - 15:10)
- For weekly money saving & money making ideas sign-up to our #newsletter here... http://t.co/S1iifO7e4t #makemoney... (11th Jan 2014 - 13:10)
- Make money donating sperm or eggs. Find out how here... http://t.co/n7Vs8FNWsW #makemoney #donating #spermdonor http://t.co/EurR9oRH2x (11th Jan 2014 - 11:00)
THE QUESTIONI bought a renault Car on HP which is now paid off. I bought it in Sept 2006 and traded in another car. The HP was approximately Â£3000 but the company put a gap insurance on it. I felt it was pushed on me, am I able to claim it back? Thanks Wendy
Wendy Bentick, Coventry
THE ANSWERHi Wendy, GAP insurance is often added to hire purchase agreements. This is because if you have an accident and write off your car before the end of the hire purchase agreement, your car insurance company may only pay you what the car is worth at that point in time. Because cars depreciate, this may be less than what you owe the hire purchase company.
For example, if the car was originally £4000, and you crashed it after paying off £500, but your car insurers decide that at the time of the accident, your car was only worth £2000, the GAP insurance would cover you for the £1500 difference. GAP insurance can be very useful, but it’s not compulsory, so if you were told you had to have it, you’re right to complain.
We spoke to Martyn James at the Financial Ombudsman, who told us he had seen an increase in complaints about this type of insurance. He says the first thing you should do is to make a complaint, in writing, to the insurance broker, or GAP insurance company who arranged the GAP insurance for you in the first place. Simply say that you are unhappy because you feel the insurance was pushed on you.
If this doesn’t work, your next port of call is the Financial Ombudsman. You can call their helpline free on 0800 023 4567. If you’re not confident making the initial complaint to the insurance company, they will help you with this too.
It’s worth noting that although there are similarities between GAP insurance and PPI, it is a separate issue. Unlike PPI, there has been no court ruling specifying that customers who have been mis-sold GAP insurance must be compensated, and no there is standard complaints form, but don’t let this hold you back.