Chocolate is great for Valentine’s (this Saturday!) and also for Easter, birthdays, anniversaries, Christmas etc. And it couldn’t be easier to make yourself EXCEPT you must be careful not to burn it in the microwave. Or over a saucepan of boiling water.
So, just make sure you set the microwave at HALF POWER. And that’s pretty much all you need to remember for this recipe. there are an infinite number of variations but here I am giving you the principle.
Easy Homemade Chocs
Ingredients (makes about 16 squares)
- 200g chocolate (milk, dark or white or a mix)
- Your choice of additions, for example: Chocolate Raisins, Choc covered coffee beans, Choc-chip cookies (quartered), Choc covered brazil nuts, Choc covered stem ginger, Dark choc pieces, Choc covered fudge
- Melt the chocolate gentlyin a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave at HALF POWER for a minute or 30 seconds at a time, until it’s liquid, stirring in between blasts. OR do this in a glass bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Meanwhile, chop the other ingredients into the same size chunks ie halve the brazils, quarter the cookies etc.
- Pour the chocolate out over a sheet of greaseproof paper on a baking tray and smooth out into a rectangle about the thickness of a pound coin.
- Spread the other ingredients over evenly and cool.
- When it’s room temperature (not too chilled otherwise it’s too brittle to cut and snaps rather than cuts), mark it out into squares and cut.
- Wrap each individually in foil, greaseproof paper or waxed paper (that you’ve saved from the inside of cereal boxes) or even get some fancy, frilly petit-four cases.
- Pack up nicely in a box (if they’re a gift) and THEN chill. Yum