Pecan butter balls are lovely little cookies with just a small number of ingredients: basically just pecan nuts, butter and flour, plus a little sugar (only 50g for the whole recipe, which I didn’t think would work, but it does).
Pecan Butter Balls
Ingredients: makes about 20
- 250g pecan nuts
- 350g flour (I used gluten free)
- 225g butter
- 1 tsp ground cardamom (or cinnamon)
- pinch salt
- 50g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Blitz the nuts, butter, salt, spice and flour in a food processor.
- Form into largeish teaspoon-size balls with your hands and space a few cm apart on a lined baking tray.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. LEAVE TO COOL – they will crumble to mush if you attempt to move them sooner (can you tell I learned this the hard way?).
- When they are almost cool, roll in a shallow bowl of sugar.
- They’ll keep in a resealable container or cake tin (lined with cereal packet wax paper that you have diligently unfolded/flattened/wiped clean and saved from your breakfast table!) for a few days.
Incidentally I ended up have 3 of these with fat-free, live, organic yogurt for breakfast for a couple of days – delicious and it really kept me going till lunch because of the protein and fat in the nuts (nuts are, generally speaking 50% fat and 50% protein).