You could make instant cash with your old mobile phone next time you’re at the supermarket. A new machine from a US company called Gazelle makes it quick, easy and profitable to dig out your old phones and recycle them for cash.
- How can you get instant cash for your mobile phone
- How much could you make from your phone?
- Where can you go to get instant cash for your mobile phone?
It’s estimated that there are 125 million unused, old phones knocking around the UK, that’s four for every household! So it’s likely that you’ve got at least one that could be turned into cash.
You could send it off to one of the phone recyclers who will give you money once you’ve sent it, or you could try the new machine in some supermarkets in London and the Midlands that will give you instant cash for your phone.
These machines are black and orange and are from a US company called Gazelle. Take a look at the end of the article to see if you there is one near you.
how do you use the Gazelle machine?
- From a touch screen on the kiosk, you select the device you would like to sell and place it inside the kiosk.
- The kiosk electrically and visually identifies the model from its nearly 5,500 device database across over 60 manufacturers, checking for flaws and grading its condition.
- Using a cable provided, you then plug in the device, letting the machine do an electrical check.
- After assessing the phone and its components, the kiosk provides a price to the consumer for review.
- The kiosk can also provide a price estimate by asking a series of questions about your device. This is helpful for consumers who do not have the phone they are considering trading-in while at a kiosk.
The whole process takes around five to eight minutes.
Most devices are sold for full reuse. This is because it’s best for the environment to extend the usage of existing devices as long as possible, as almost all consumer electronics contain toxic materials such as lead, cadmium, mercury, arsenic and a broad variety of other materials that pose a threat to the environment and our health. The rest are sold to certified recyclers, refurbishers and wholesalers, so that component materials can be responsibly reclaimed and reused.
proof of identity
Its kiosks have a number of security features and requirements which make the selling of a stolen phone unlikely. These include:
i) At least three photographs taken of the seller from varying angles, while he or she is trading-in the phone
ii) A driving licence scan (UK or EU)
iii) Every device is run through CheckMEND (https://www.checkmend.com/) to ensure it has not been reported as lost or stolen
iv) If a lost or stolen phone does end up in one of Gazelle’s kiosks, it will be returned to its rightful owner without charge. Gazelle cooperates with local law enforcement in all cases pertaining to theft.
It depends on the phone’s make, model and condition.
You can get a price estimate for your phone here.
Kiosks will accept phones from almost all manufactures3 including Apple, Samsung, BlackBerry, HTC, LG,Motorola, Huawei, Alcatel, OnePlus, ZTE, Nokia, Amazon, Sharp, Kyocera and more.
Gazelle will accept phones in any condition and then offer payment for them. And, should a customer have underestimated the condition their phone is in, Gazelle will offer a higher value.
If the kiosk deems the phone to have little-to-no value, they are still able to recycle it via the machines for £1, but at least you know it has been recycled properly and you’ve done a ‘green thing’!
Right now there are Gazelle machines in Morrisons stores in London and the Midlands. They can also be found in Westfield shopping centres. Gazelle are planning to put machines in many more supermarkets and shopping centres but for the moment you can find them here:
• Morrisons, 1 King St
• Morrisons, Chalk Farm Rd
• Morrisons, 10 Hertslet Rd
• Westfield London, Ariel Way (x2)
• Westfield Stratford City, Olympic Park (x2)
• Morrisons, 19 Aldermans Hill
• Morrisons, 6-7 Salisbury Hall Gardens
• Morrisons, James Watt Way, Erith
Pentagon Shopping Centre, High Street, Chatham (Kent)
Midlands & others
• Newlands Shopping Centre, Gold St, Kettering
• Morrisons, Redditch, Warwick Highway
• Chelmsley Wood Shopping Centre, 33 Maple Walk, Birmingham
• Morrisons, 264 Chester Rd, Birmingham
• Waterside Shopping Centre, High St, Lincoln
• Idlewells Shopping Centre, Sutton in Ashfield
• Morrisons, Rushton Ave, Bradford