I’m also supposed to go on holiday to Turkey for two weeks from the 25th of August all inclusive. I want to postpone it and I’ve tried to get hold of the holiday company for the last six weeks – tried email, live chat, phone and no one answers. I went to my credit card company because I had heard rumours that if you don’t get the same holiday that you’ve booked, no buffets etc. then you can get a refund. They said they couldn’t refund unless the holiday was cancelled. What can I do? Anyone any ideas?