fbpx

MoneyMagpie

Join MoneyMagpie today!

Reply To: Best advice you’ve had when applying for jobs?

Home Messageboards Work and HR Forum Best advice you’ve had when applying for jobs? Reply To: Best advice you’ve had when applying for jobs?

Daisy
Participant

I agree with Jasmine’s tip about customising ones CV / cover letter to the job description (JD).  Since algorithms read the first pass anyway, you need to use the same words / terms as the JD to go forward to an HR human.  HR is less familiar with the job as the JD is written by a team manager.  So again, alignment is important.

The other important tip is to quantify specific claims.  If you manage projects, explain the budget ranges so the reader can get a sense of scale / complexity.  Or if you get projects to market faster than scheduled, explain how much time you saved the company.  That sort of thing.  It is okay to round things for ease  of reading.

Lastly, I don’t think this is a good idea, but it did make me laugh when I read about a person applying for a job when algorithms first stared the screening process.  He took the popular JD terms and wrote them all in a row in very small font.  To the algo rule, it flagged his CV as a good match.  To the human reader the only thing visible was a black line underneath his name.  Surely, that earns some points in creativity?!