We have already started giving, receiving and even eating Easter eggs. Is it sacrilege to scoff them 10 days before the event? It seems my children just can’t resist chocolate once it’s in the house. Nor me. So I have been thinking up recipes to use up all this cheap chocolate (because most kids’ Easter eggs are low-cocoa-content, let’s face it). Cheap chocolate can work well in some chocolate cakes, chopped into choc chip cookies, or an easy hot chocolate sauce for ice cream or bananas (melt with single cream). Milk chocolate has a high sugar content – some of is so bad it actually makes my teeth hurt! But some brands are more palatable than others (Swedish Marabou is good). The advantage of this low cocoa content (let’s look on the bright side) is that it doesn’t have the bitter or slightly harsh taste that dark chocolate can.
Thinking of real eggs – here’s a nice recipe I like to do in the microwave for lunch. It couldn’t be simpler.
Recipe: Microwave Scramble
Ingredients: (serves 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 mushrooms or 1/2 red pepper, chopped (or both)
- 2 rashers bacon or ham, chopped (or smoked salmon)
- salt and pepper
- dash Worcester sauce
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- splash single cream or creme fraiche or milk
- 30-50g grated cheese (leave out of using smoked salmon)
- 1 tbsp fresh herbs, chopped (chives, parsley, thyme or lovage etc)
- Put the oil, onion, mushrooms, peppers and bacon (if using) into a microwave-proof glass or plastic bowl and heat 2 minutes on high power.
- Stir and check if the rawness has gone out of the bacon, and veg. Give it another minute if it needs it.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, but keep back the smoked salmon if using.
- Stir and microwave another minute, then stir and keep microwaving for a minute at a time till the egg is done to your liking (some people prefer scrambled eggs more runny/creamy).
- Pile onto a plate to eat, scattering the smoked salmon on top if using.
- Serve with toast or bread if you fancy, or a bit of salad dressed with your favourite dressing.