She carried you in her womb for nine months, fed you, clothed you, and even sat through your school plays. So it’s only fair your mum should be made to feel a bit special this Mother’s Day. But if you don’t know where to start, don’t fret. We’ve got plenty of gift ideas – from old classics to something a bit more unusual – and all at fantastic prices.
- Best value flowers
- Bargain bubbly
- Spa treats for less
- Cheap city breaks
- Save money paying with PayPal
Rather than browsing the wilted offerings at your local garage forecourt, your best bet is to go for a snazzy bouquet that can be delivered straight to your mum’s door.
Here at MoneyMagpie we like to get you the best for your buck, and when Mother’s Day comes into town there’s no exception!
At Arena Flowers you can get FREE DELIVERY plus special Mother’s Day discounts. This beautiful Pretty Mum bouquet features gorgeous, delicate pastel shades and is only £27.98 delivered.
Alternatively if you’re feeling a bit more flush you can get these exquisite mixed tulips for £34.99, which includes a box of scrumptious Guylian chocolates and a Mother’s Day balloon.
You can save up to 25% on selected bouquets at Flowers Direct. You may want to consider this lovely fresh combination of roses and carnations for a bargain £22.99 or perhaps this dazzling Dusted Damson for just a bit extra at £24.99. Both bouquets are certain to deliver the wow factor.
If she’s a bit green-fingered, why not surprise your mum by giving her a tree for Mother’s Day? They last for years and really add to a garden or room.
- Anything from lemon to olive trees are available through Tree2mydoor (from £24.50), which tends to have the most reasonable prices.
- Should your mum have no garden (or little space indoors), you could go for a Bonsai gift kit (£12.95). She’ll be able to grow her own mini-trees needing nothing more than a spare windowsill or shelf.
Luxury chocs for less
You can’t really go wrong with chocolate and there are lots of places to find gift wrapped goodies at great prices.
- Thorntons sells everything from continental chocolates (26 chocolates for just £9.99) to champagne truffles – reduced to a brilliant £9.99. They also offer a great range of flowers accompanied with chocolates if you just can’t make up your mind what to go for.
- Why not 36 amazing chocolate cup cakes from M&S for just £18?
- Alternatively you can check out the range of truffles at the Chocolate Trading Company. There are truffles there to suit all tastes – with strawberry, dark chocolate, cappuccino and pink champagne all available in individual collections for £9.75 each.
- Hotel Chocolat offers Mother’s Day chocolate gifts from £4.50, together with some luxurious chocolate sets (from £18) that mark a new high point in chocolatey self-indulgence – surely a good thing!
- If your mum loves her choc the Treasure Box from Cadbury Gifts Direct is bound to put a smile on her face – it costs £10 and is crammed full of all the Cadbury’s classics such as Roses, Dairy Milk Caramel, Dairy Milk Bubbles and much, much more.
Champagne always goes down a treat, especially if your mum’s partial to a tipple.
- One of the best value bottles of champagne on the market is this De Telmont Grande Réserve Champagne at Majestic Wines. For just £16.00 this represents a quality bottle of bubbly that doesn’t break the bank.
- Another good value bottle of champagne is Waitrose’s Nyetimber Classic Cuvee champagne at £29.99. If you want to splash out a bit more, you can send a bottle of champers with your own personalised label and message (from £34.50 at Barrels and Bottles).
- Don’t forget there are plenty of excellent alternatives to champagne, which taste great yet cost a fraction of the price. For example, Cava Calamino NV (£5.99 from Majestic) is great value bubbly, while a bottle of Valdo Oro Puro Prosecco from Waitrose is a classy yet affordable alternative to champagne (£8.65).
Give your mum some top-notch pampering with a spa break.
- Red Letter Days sells good-value spa treatments from £29 as well as various other activities, such as flotation tank experiences and other pampering treats.
- Marriott Hotels offers a pamper day treat from £49, and will allow your mum to bring along a friend to use the facilities (such as the swimming pool and spa) free of charge.
- Lastminute.com always have great deals on spa treatments – so check out their wide range of offers to see what you can get for your mum. Most of them included multiple treatments for your mum and the person she chooses to take with her (which will hopefully be you!).
Lift her up, up and away
Your mum might have her feet firmly stuck on the ground, but why not change that for a day?
- A hot air balloon experience can be had from as little as £99 if you book online – try the British School of Ballooning website or Balloons Over Britain.
- If you book through Red Letter Days, you’ll even get to help inflate the balloon itself! Take your mum up to 3,000 feet, giving her a tranquil birds-eye view over the British countryside. You can fly from locations all over the UK – and your mum gets to toast her maiden flight with a glass of champagne when she lands!
Treat her to a Royal day out
Booking a day out at Buckingham Palace makes a great treat for mothers who love a bit of pomp and pageantry. Have a snoop round the palace, taking in the Queen’s gallery, Royal stables and magnificent state rooms (which boast works by the likes of Rembrandt, Rubens and Canaletto). The palace is open 27 July – 31 August and 1 – 29 September (prices start from £19 per person for adults and must be booked in advance).
Uncover affordable art
Indulge your mum’s artistic streak. Artyprints has a huge catalogue of prints and posters for you to browse online, and is currently knocking 10% off the price of all orders. They sell everything from abstracts to photography, covering artists from Whistler to Warhol – so you’re bound to find something that’s to your mum’s taste. Prices range from £5 – £500.
Why not whisk your mum away from it all?
- Lastminute.com has some great city breaks which would make a lovely Mother’s Day present. Why not take in the sights of Paris from just £149, or soak up the history of Barcelona for a mere £159.
- Or stay closer to home for very little cost. Take advantage of Travelodge’s spring sale and book a room for just £19.
Get best-value from beauty products
If your mum is into make-up, forget the high street. Make-up and perfume is almost always cheaper online.
- Save over 50% on fragrances at Cheap Smells.
- Benefit Cosmetics is offering free delivery on all orders £40 or over.
- Or head to John Lewis, which offers everything from bronzers and blushers to a host of other pampering delights for around the £20 mark.
- The Body Shop are offering a fab collection of Mother’s Day gifts, so find some inspiration on their special Mother’s Day page.
Also, get a bit clever with your beauty products by giving her the Love My Skin facial cleansing system. It involves a chargeable brush with different heads that will slough away dead skin, make-up traces and more. It’s different and should help mum’s skin brighten in just a week! The whole system costs around £30 and includes a charging lead as well as the different brush heads.
If you add the Love My Skin Anti-Ageing pen (for £39.99) she will be gorgeous within weeks!
These gizmos make a great change from the usual beauty products and can be picked up at Boots, Superdrug, Tesco and more.
Consider getting one of these with a pot of good moisturiser or cleanser and maybe some other products like a flannel, liquid soap and others and presenting them all in a pretty basket. That would be an extra big gift!
Treat your mum to some eco friendly presents from Nigel’s Eco Store. Choose from a huge selection of gifts including the little organic box of happiness for £19.99, soothing Rosa Passionata Night Butter for £17.35, or a gorgeous orange tree for £59.99.
Feed her inner film buff
You could either buy her the movies or actually set up a film night at home.
Add popcorn and dinner and it’s a night in.
- You can get Mamma Mia! from just over £4 at Play.com – and if your mum swoons at the mere mention of Colin Firth, why not pick up the entire BBC series of Pride and Prejudice from the used section of Amazon.co.uk for the bargain price of £1.09!
- Alternatively, you could get your mum a cinema pass, which would allow her to watch an unlimited number of films for a fixed fee (Cineworld offer a deal from £14.99 a month).
- Or why not buy her a subscription to a service like LOVEFiLM and your mum can rent out DVDs from a massive selection online. The films get posted to her to watch in the comfort of her own home. When she’s done with them, she sends them back by prepaid post, and gets sent the next films she’s requested. Simple! LOVEFiLM rentals start from £4.99 per month and rise to £14.99 per month for unlimited rentals.
Donate to charity
You could celebrate Mother’s Day by helping mothers who are in need. Aid organisation Maternity Worldwide helps save the lives of women in the developing world, whose health is put at risk by poor maternity care. For a £15 donation, Maternity Worldwide will send a personalised ‘Safe Birth’ certificate to your mum – and you both get the satisfaction of knowing that your gift will make a real difference to the lives of other mothers.
Become her personal assistant…
Your mum waited on you hand and foot for more years than you care to count – so why not return the favour? You could begin by making her breakfast in bed, then allow her to put her feet up while you do all the cooking, cleaning, washing up and shopping. Top it off by preparing a meal or taking her out for dinner. If you’re eating out, you could try:
- Lastminute.com‘s half-price deals at restaurants across the country.
- Taking her somewhere really nice from just £15 – see the full selection of restaurants.
- Use Toptable to book your meal and earn points to save a heap of money at top restaurants all over the UK.
Or if you decide to eat in why not treat her (and yourself!) to a delcious meal from M&S dine in for two for £10 range. M&S also currently have a wine clearance event, with some great discounts which should wash that grub down a treat!
Make her day by doing that, and you will officially be her favourite child!
They’re able to offer discount codes for major online retailers so you can get the things your mum really wants for the best possible price.
For example, you can currently get £10 off at Boots when you spend £60 by using the code MDPPA60 when paying with PayPal.
Other online retailers you can make great savings at include House of Fraser, Hotel Chocolat and Prestige Flowers.