A tray of mince pies from the supermarket may seem like a bargain at £1.50 a pop, but if you make your own you really only need 4 ingredients, mincemeat butter, flour and sugar. You probably already have the butter, flour and sugar in your cupboard, so if you’re just buying the mince, that’s £1 for 18 mince pies (if you use our recipe below)! Thats 3x as many for 50p less!
Plus everyone knows homemade mince pies taste SO MUCH better than shop bought!
Recipe: Mince Pies – Makes 18
- 225g cold butter, diced
- 350g plain flour
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 280g mincemeat
- 1 small egg
- icing sugar, to dust
- Rub together 225g cold, diced butter into 350g plain flour with the tips of your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, then mix in 100g golden caster sugar and a pinch of salt .
- Squashing the mix together with your hands, add 1 tbsp of water at a time until the you form a dough. You can use the dough immediately, or chill in the fridge for later.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C.
- Roll out your dough to about 0.5cm thickness and then cut out 18 circles with a large cookie cutter and 18 with a smaller one.
- Lay the large circles of pastry into 18 holes of two 12-hole cupcake trays and spoon the mincemeat out evenly between them.
- Wet the edges of the pastry circles in the tray with your finger and a tiny bit of water (this is so the tops will stick)
- Lay the smaller circles on top and press gently to seal
- If you have any pastry left over you could use a small decorative cookie cutter like a Christmas tree or a star to decorate. Remember to slightly wet the underside of each one before pressing onto the top of each pie.
- Beat the egg and lightly brush the tops of all the pies.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.
- Lightly dust with icing sugar to finish.