The summer is over and warm food is back and in my house that means; baked potato time! 4 baking potatoes = £1 at Waitrose (25p each). You can probably find them cheaper elsewhere.
Why not try my ’empty the fridge’ topping for a super cheap midweek supper?
Olive Baked Potato Topping (serves 4)
- 1 tbsp pitted sliced black olives
- 1 tbsp mint jelly
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp creme fraiche (I use low fat)
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or softened butter if furred arteries are no worry)
- salt and pepper
- Either: 200g tin tuna, or 2 x 50g tins anchovies in oil (drained), or chopped ham, leftover chicken, or similar
- Wash and bake the potatoes at 180 degrees celsius for an hour, or until soft when you push a knife in.
- Mix all the topping ingredients together.
- Cut a cross on the top of each potato and open out a bit.
- Place on service plates.
- Spoon the topping in and surround with salad.
Tip: Kids also love this as a salad dressing – it’s slightly sweet with the mint jelly, and my daughters love olives, thankfully.