Halloween approaches. I know this because I have 8 tonnes of candy stashed in my wardrobe. It used to be 9 tonnes but my husband and I have been steadily chipping away at it. A mini Mars Bar here, a treat size Twix there…remind me to address my chocoholism sometime.
I will be going to collect my pumpkin this week, for carving into a suitably spooky Halloween scene – perhaps a reclining witch cradling a black cat, hovering over a graveyard, surrounded by ghosts and ghouls. Or maybe two rough eyes and a mouth, probably just about all I can manage. Although there are families in my street who, I swear, have had their pumpkins laser cut, they are so intricate and artistic. Maybe the mums and dads are sculptors in their spare time. Or surgeons.
Here’s a recipe for all that pumpkin flesh you’ll be left with.
Pumpkin & Walnut Flapjacks
Ingredients: (makes about 14)
- 200g pumpkin, peeled and grated in a food processor
- 200g oats
- 100g sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 100g butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves or ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 100g chopped walnuts (or other nuts)
- Melt the butter and sugar 40 seconds in the microwave.
- Add in all the other ingredients and pack into a greased baking tray.
- Bake 180 degrees Celsius 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool a bit then mark into squares or bars.
Serving: Nice on their own or with plain yogurt for breakfast.