- Protect your home at Christmas – Find out how here... http://t.co/ps7DEuN1Zs #Christmas #savemoney #protect (13th Dec 2013 - 11:02)
- Make money by switching your bank account! Read more here... http://t.co/wYyb6EZ05v #makemoney #savemoney #bank (13th Dec 2013 - 09:31)
- Xmas Eve Lunch: Firstly, check out the old publicity photo I’ve dug out – would you recognise me in a police l... http://t.co/3Un3C001Fc (12th Dec 2013 - 19:32)
- Remember the last Christmas posting dates...here's a list http://t.co/Hj0B2GbN7F (12th Dec 2013 - 13:39)
- Check out our exclusive offer - 5% off a gadget that will save 16% off your heating bills http://t.co/nc8OX9jj8g (12th Dec 2013 - 11:44)
- How to have a good Christmas without breaking the bank: http://t.co/4rHAPClPJW via @YouTube (11th Dec 2013 - 18:07)
- Need an idea for an Xmas pressie? Read our guide to alternative gifts. http://t.co/1NKnqPwKpw #christmas #egifts #presents (11th Dec 2013 - 11:31)
- Watch out for scammers using Western Union this Christmas: Any time I see an ad on Gumtree or Craigslist or si... http://t.co/yoC9gLybNw (11th Dec 2013 - 10:31)
- You can do it! How to save money when you don't have any..http://t.co/1NKnqPwKpw #savemoney #cutcosts #makemoney (11th Dec 2013 - 09:25)
- Is your debt getting you down? We have 7 ways to pay off your debt... http://t.co/b1Osfbi3nC (9th Dec 2013 - 13:30)
- Win a £300 M&S card http://t.co/83B6Ih7ft1 (9th Dec 2013 - 12:35)
- Invisible and alternative gifts for Christmas: Are you getting tired of buying gifts for your loved ones that ... http://t.co/XyLhwXYftQ (9th Dec 2013 - 12:23)
- Are your phone bills getting out of control? We have 10 ways for you to save money on your phone bills..... http://t.co/Z0yUCkqANp (9th Dec 2013 - 11:30)
- Make money writing greeting card messages. Read our article for all the info you need... http://t.co/KMHYyFtsZo (9th Dec 2013 - 09:28)
Best money-making websites
Want to know the quickest, easiest and most lucrative ways to earn some money? You’re not alone. Our readers often ask us “How do I make money online?” Well, here’s our lowdown on how to make money online and the best websites for doing just that – plus tips to help you get the most out of them.
- Online networking and socialising
- Make money online
- Rent or sell
- Get your driving and shopping paid for
- Get extra cash
The site groups consumers together so they can take advantage of huge discounts for all kinds of things – from restaurants to football match tickets. Previous deals in London have included £25 for top price tickets worth £55 to see Blood Brothers, and £1 to watch films (including those in 3D) at any Cineworld. Once you’ve signed up – for free – you can recommend as many friends as you like, and if any of them go on to sign up, you’ll get £6 for each one who does. The money will be credited to your account so you can use it towards your next purchase on the site. To check out the site and sign up, visit Groupon here.
Plusnet – Earn by referring
Plusnet has consistently low prices for its broadband and they even cut your bills further if you refer your friends. You’ll get a discount off your monthly bill for every person that joins them on your recommendation, for as long as they are a customer. There’s no limit to the number of people that you can recommend – so you could get your broadband for free.
Set-up a virtual business with Second Life
In the online virtual world of Second Life, you can buy and sell land, create clothes, set up a shop or anything else you can think of. Set up by Linden Labs, Second Life has experienced phenomenal growth. The ‘inworld economy’ of Second Life grew 94% between 2008 and 2009 and by the end of 2011 the equivalent value of all money held by users stood at $29.3 million.
That’s right, although Second Life is a virtual world, it has a very real economy. Ailin Graef, aka Anshe Chung, became the first person to make a real life million through Second Life. Its currency, the Linden dollar, can be exchanged at a rate of about 320 Linden dollars (L$) to £1, although it does fluctuate. If you’re handy with a keyboard and have a lot of spare time, this could be an interesting way to make some extra cash.
Win cash and give to charity at the same time with The People’s Lottery
OK, this isn’t quite making money but you have the opportunity to win a cash prize every now and then. Also, as it’s run by Actionaid, you know that any money you give in will be going to a good cause.
This is a sporadic and relatively small income but it’s low effort and you’ve nothing to lose. It’s a great way to make quick cash from the comfort of your computer but make sure you NEVER pay to join a site or reveal your credit card details.
Complete online surveys for money
Here are our favourite paid survey sites. They’re completely free and have received a big thumbs-up from many of you. For maximum earnings why not set up a separate email account (so your personal one doesn’t get flooded with survey-related emails) and then register for free to all of them?:
- Viewsbank – get paid for completing surveys and earn up to £100 a time from mystery shopping!
- SurveySavers – get a reward worth £5 PLUS entry into a draw to win a year’s FREE Starbucks coffee!
- Digital Trends – get paid at least £15 for the first month
- Inbox Pounds - get paid £1 just for signing up
- Opinion Outpost – be entered into a £20,000 prize draw just for registering
- Valued Opinions – offers a big prize simply for registering
- Toluna – convert points you earn into Amazon.co.uk vouchers
- GlobalTestMarket – pays $50 for every 1,000 points earned
- Surveyhead – claim your rewards in cash via PayPal
- Panelbase – earn between 25p and £10 per survey
If you like the sound of online paid surveys, make sure you check out our full article on how to make money from online surveys.
How to make money from domain names
Be an internet entrepreneur and buy domain names to sell on for profit. It’s a great way to make money as the perfect URLs become harder to come by, and people and businesses will pay over the odds to get the one they want. This really is easier than it sounds and to get you started we’ve got three top tips from Sedo‘s Chief Sales Officer, Liesbeth Mack-de Boer.
1. Keep your eyes peeled and your ears close to the ground for the next big thing. If you can get a domain name that corresponds to a new trend, you can make big money out of it further down the road.
2. Pick a quirky domain name, or a selection of URLs with the same theme – that way you’ll have built up a good portfolio. It won’t cost you much, but a company in that area would pay decent money for the domains.
3. See what’s popular. Use Google to find out what people are looking for and which search terms are popular, that’ll inform your decision on which URLs to buy.
Get started here.
SlicethePie.com – Get paid to listen to music
If you love your music, sign up to Slicethepie for free and get paid to listen and review music by unsigned bands.
This isn’t necessarily a big money earner as you’ll only get a few pence per review at the beginning, but as you get a better ‘scout rating’ there is potential to make more and more money.
Not only is it a good way to make a few extra quid but you could get to hear the next big thing before anyone else. Read all about it in our article here.
eBid – Sell items for quick cash and no listings fee
You’ll all be aware that you can buy and sell items on auction site eBay, but another site that works in pretty much the same way is eBid. What’s different about eBid however, is that you don’t have to pay to list your items (called an insertion fee and ranging from 10p to £1.90 for most items). Although, as with eBay, they do take a Final Value Fee, which is 3%.
All you need to do to get selling is sign up to a buyer’s account – then upgrade your account from buyer to seller. This gives you access to a standard auction format.
Moneymagpie mobile recycling comparison – Cash for trash
Never throw away old mobile phones. Recycle them instead for easy money. Go to our nifty Moneymagpie mobile recycling service and simply enter the make and model of your phone and see which recycling company will give you the most for it.
You could make hundreds (for newer, well-kept phones), so go and raid your drawers and check at the back of the cupboard to see if you can make cash with your trash.
Spareroom.co.uk – Rent out your space for cash
Got a spare room you don’t use? Or, if you really need the cash, could you move out of your bedroom and sleep in the sitting room to free it up to rent out?
You can make up to £4,250 tax free from renting a room each year so this is one of the best ways of making money almost from nothing! Go here to register.
ParkatmyHouse.com – Rent your drive for cash
Use your drive or your garage to make money for you. ParkatmyHouse covers the whole UK and you can put your space on the site for anyone coming to your area to park in…for cash!
Threadless.com – Earn cash designing T-shirts
Fancy yourself as a fashion guru? Then why not try your hand at designing your own T-shirt? It’s creative and fun – plus, if your creation proves popular with others, you can make money from your hobby.
The Threadless website lets you submit your own designs (or slogans), and last year the company awarded over half a million pounds to artists all over the world who submitted their designs. Check it out here.
Etsy.com – Get creative and sell your wares online
If you love to get creative and make jewellery or arts and crafts, Etsy is the place to go.
This US website is designed exclusively for buying and selling handmade goods so you’re more likely to have success here than somewhere like eBay.
Register your username (which is also your shop name so choose carefully!) for a basic buyer’s account – then upgrade to a seller’s account. There is a fee of $0.20 per item listed but this covers the item for four months and includes the option of five photos to show off your wares. When you sell an item there’s a 3.5% final value charge.
Freelancing – Sell your skills
If you’re handy with a camera, can design a nice logo or fancy yourself as a writer, then you may be able to make some cash selling your stuff online. There are plenty of sites selling content to websites and they’re always in need of contributors.
Companies such as BigStockPhoto, iStockphoto, Fotolia, Dreamstime and Shutterstock concentrate on photography. Upload your images and get paid every time they are used. Others, such as Tycoon Talk and Digital Point offer content writing jobs. For a wider range of freelance oppurtunites you can look at Elance or oDesk.
If you like the online money makers we’ve featured here, you’ll love our fab article 10 easy ways to make quick cash. It’s got speedy, simple and effective ways to make money – take a look yourself to see why it’s our most popular article!
Stuff2Send – Great for motorists who are always on the move
Are you always driving from one place to another? Well, why not get your fuel paid for, and maybe even earn some extra cash on top? Stuff2Send matches your journey with people or companies that need packages delivered. It makes sense, helps save the environment and earns you some easy money.
Cashback Shopper – Money for shopping (and get £5 for just signing up!)
Cashback sites like Quidco list retailers they have deals with – when you click through the retailer gives money to the cashback site, which then gives you money. Some sites like Cashback Shopper will even give you a little money – usually £5 – just for signing up.
Zopa.com – Earn 5.4% on your savings (yes, really!)
Looking for an alternative to paltry savings rates? Head to Zopa where lenders made an average return of 6.4% in the last twelve months.
Zopa works as a sort of online financial community, bringing lenders and borrowers together and cutting out the banks. Borrowers are categorised according to how risky thepany are considered to be. Lending to higher risk people with poorer credit ratings provides better returns.
You decide who to lend to and what rate you’ll charge, as well as how long to lend your money for (choose from three, four or five years) and of course how much you want to lend (from £10 to upwards of £25,000). Find out exactly how Zopa works in our full article.
Turn2Us.org.uk – See if you’re entitled to free money!
Use the Turn2Us benefits checker which works out whether you’re eligible for any benefits. All you have to do is enter some details such as how much you earn, your council tax rate and any savings you have.
The calculator covers all of the major benefits including Working Tax Credit, Council Tax, Housing Benefit, Pension Credit and Child Tax Credit. Benefits rules change all the time so there’s a good chance that even if you weren’t eligible a few years ago, you could be now.
Mylostaccount.org.uk – find money in dormant bank accounts
This is a free online service that will search through bank and building society records for you to see if you have any money lying around in a forgotten account.
Official figures state that up to £850 million of our own money is lying in inactive current, savings and building society accounts, so it’s definitely worth checking.
Always give as many details as possible, including maiden names and previous addresses in order to increase your chances of finding a lost account. Find out more ways to find money you don’t know about here.
Here at Moneymagpie, we love giving you advice on how to make money, but we also want to help you save it too. We’re now offering you a fab range of FREE money-saving brochures, including Saving for Children and Top 10 Retirement Tips. They’ll cost you nothing and could help you and your family save towards a comfortable future. You’ve nothing to lose and lots to gain, so snap one up now!
Get paid for your opinion
- Digital Trends
- Inbox Pounds
- Opinion Outpost
- Valued Opinions