Make money by selling your hair

Make money by selling your hair Ryan Schultz/Flickr

Did you know your hair has value? You can actually make money selling your hair!

We all remember the scene in Little Women when Jo sells her hair because the family needs to make money. While they all cry together over her lost locks, they’re all consoled by the much needed hard cash it’s got them.

But this is not just the stuff of fiction. Scientists have decoded DNA and cloned sheep, but still can’t cure baldness! As a result wigs, hair extensions, and hair pieces have never been so popular. If you’re willing to get a snip, you can make a pretty penny from those luscious tresses.

Start Growing and Grooming

moneymagpie_make-money-by-selling-your-hair_hair-stylingBefore thinking about selling your hair you’ll first have to start growing and grooming.  Most companies will want hair that has absolutely no chemical treatments so your hair can’t be coloured, permed, highlighted or tinted. You’ll also need plentyof it – at least six inches.

Hair must be clean, healthy and shiny. Cigarette smoke or traces of drugs taken will linger in your hair long after it’s washed.

Remember wig makers are hair experts, if they detect damaged hair they’ll toss it, and you’ll be sporting a crop without getting any cash.

Unusual natural hair colours are in for a treat, as they command the highest prices. The healthier your hair is, the more you can get for it.

Before you chop of your lovely locks make sure to contact a wig seller and find out how much selling your hair type will earn you. This way, you can see whether it’s really worth chopping it all off.

GET OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

Some tips for keeping your locks healthy:

• moneymagpie_make-money-by-selling-your-hair_hair-cutting-scissorsRegular trims will keep broken and split ends away (trimming every six to eight weeks is best, but remember not too much!)
  • Remember healthy body = healthy hair.  Make sure to get your calcium and protein for strong hair
  • Wash out all product from your hair at night, there are loads of chemicals in them that dry out your hair
  • Give up your hair dryers, curling irons or flattening irons, hairspray and other styling products now! These dry hair out and cause hair breakage and split ends
  • Instead of blow drying, towel drymoneymagpie_hair-dryer
  • Braid your hair overnight and in the morning you’ll have lovely waves without any of the damage curling irons will cause
  • Though you might be tempted, don’t brush your hair more than twice daily and use a high quality vent brush when you do
  • Oils like rosemary oil, cedar wood oil, juniper berry oil, and lavender oil will help lock-in your hair’s moisture. At night apply the oil, braid your hair and you’ll be moisturising your hair. This way it won’t be breaking while you sleep
  • Go au natural – Beer and egg whites make excellent hair conditioners.

Start Marketing

Market your new product online. Firstly, we recommend you try buyandsellhair.com, a classified ad site for buyers and sellers of human hair worldwide. To advertise is quite cheap, only $14.50 for three months, and all transactions are managed through PayPal. They take no commission on completed sales and everything you make will be yours, so it is worth trying out.

Otherwise, hop on Gumtree and you’ll find lots of ads from wigmakers willing to pay your asking price for your hair.  If you’re going to post an ad on advertising your hair you’ll need to include:

• Clear, accurate pictures (mostly of length)
  • Include a description of hair length, colour, quality, ethnic type of hair
  • Contact details.

Keep it simple; there are already wigmakers advertising for hair on Gumtree, so you don’t need to waste too much time on writing your own ones. Responding to ads can be just as effective.

Remember – wigmakers aren’t the only ones looking for hair.  Market yourself in places that others haven’t yet thought of like hairstylists who work with extensions. Hair colleges will also need human hair supplies and even high quality paint brushes are made with human hair.

Go through your Yellow Pages and look up your local hair colleges, and hair salons.  Make some calls and find out what they’re willing to pay for your hair.  Remember that your advert details apply here too.  People want to know the condition, length, colour, quality, and ethnic type of your hair.  It may take some time to research but the pay off could be big.

Selling your hair – How much can you expect to make?

moneymagpie_sell-your-hair(2)Selling your hair can be very lucrative. Bloomsbury Wigs will pay up to £200 for your hair.  They’ll even cut it off on the spot for you.  Before you picture some mad scientist coming at you with clippers – they just cut off your ponytail.

The main hair buyer in the UK, Banbury Postiche (Wigs UK) pays £3 per ounce if your hair is six-12″ long and £5 per ounce if it’s more than 12″ long.

Get on Gumtree where several wigmakers are looking to buy hair and are open to negotiations.  Some are even willing to buy children’s hair, so you can even score some cash from your kids’ locks too.

Useful Links

Now check out our article that spills the beans on the best ways to make money – 10 easy ways to make quick cash!

316 Responses to “Make money by selling your hair”

1. I WHIP MY HAIR BACK & FORTH says:

HI Y’ALL INTERESTED WITH MY 31 INCHES LONG DARK SILKY SMOOTH HAIR WITH GREAT VOLUME, JUST ENOUGH THICKNESS, AND NEVER HAD TICKS OR ANYTHING RELATED TO THOSE PESTS. NEVER HAD CHEMICAL TREATMENTS. BEEN MODELING FOR LOCAL HAIR SHAMPOO COMMERCIALS HERE IN MANILA,PHILIPPINES FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS NOW.

REASON FOR SELLING: (KIND OF PERSONAL)AND WANNA HAVE A NEW LOOK,IM THINKING OF GOING FOR A TOMBOYISH LOOK. I DONT WANNA WASTE MY HAIR THAT IVE TAKEN CARED OF FOR 11 YEARS NOW.(IM 21 BTW)

YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT EUREKAYE@YAHOO.COM IF INTERESTED.
    THANKS AND HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU THE SOONEST

2. mark says:

my name is mark kumar and i am from uk my hair is 22inches long and i want to sell it contact me on markkumar40@gmail.com

3. emma says:

Hi, my 11 year old daughter has just had her hair cut and we are looking to sell it. It is 15 inches long. It is strawberry blonde, never been dyed or chemically straightened. Rarely blow dried and only been curled three times. If you want another photo of the hair just send me a reply. Hope that I have helped complete your search. :~D

4. Evey says:

Hello,

I have around 13 inches of natural copper/ red coloured hair (naturally straight).
    I often get compliments and asked where i got the unusual shade from or have i dyed it.
    I’ve wanted to cut it for ages and might aswell make some money. :)
    Im a non- smoker and non drinker and can send photos of it on request.

Thanks

Evey

• Becky Kelly says:

i have 12 inches of thick shiny brown hair. I am 14 years old dont smoke or drink and take very good care of my hair i dont use straightners or curlers and barly ever blow dry. I brush it twice a day and was it every second day as not to damage it. If anyone wants to buy it email me at burgessbecky@rocketmail.com

• Rudi Bud says:

oops just read that you are 14.

Would prefer adults due to the style we would like to create and also as we would like to photograph/ video and it is easier to work with adults. Apologies for inconvenience.

• lisa says:

i am interested in your hair please call me

• Rudi Bud says:

Hi,
      what much did you want and how short are you happy to go ?

Looking for girls with long hair happy to have their hair cut into a shorter new style to show make over.

Would like to take photos and possibly video.

5. Stephanie says:

I am 21 years old and I have 16-18 inches of virgin dark blonde hair with natural highlights- very thick and healthy! Always get compliments so will not cut unless I get a decent price. Only use Matrix brand shampoo and conditioner. I don’t smoke or do drunks and I hardly drink. Email me: KeiWaiCat@gmail.com for pictures.

6. marta says:

I have 12 to 13 inches of dark brown with blonde highlights if your interested in buying please call me @ 267-335-3033 or email me @ porkchop_1890@yahoo.com thank you

7. Bonita says:

Virgin dark brown hair in 23” braid. Never been permed, dyed, curled, ironed or even blow dried and I have never washed it more than twice per week. I never smoked, drank alcohol or used drugs. I have only been using natural shampoos and conditioners from the health food store since 1999.

8. Bonita says:

Virgin brown hair in 23” braid. Never been permed, dyed or even blow dried. I never washed it more than twice per week. I never smoked, hardly ever drank alcohol and have been drug free and healthy. I have only been using natural shampoos and conditioners from the health food store since 1999.

9. Michelle says:

I have 10-12 inches of virgin brown hair (natural red/blond highlights depending on how the light catches it). The hair has never been treated in any way. I blow dry it less than 5 times per year (only for special occasions.)
    If interested please contact me at decemberchylde@yahoo.com with HAIR as the subject of the email and I’m happy to send pictures.
    It will be cut at a professional salon once a deal has been made.
    thank you.

10. Amanda says:

Hi! I have 20-22 inches of gorgeous thick hair for sale. It is virgin dark blonde hair with natural highlights. I am a non-smoker, non-drug-user. I wash it every other day and deep condition it once per week. I have only blow-dryed it 2-4 times for special occasions. If anyone is interested, please email me @ planmyperfectparty@gmail.com and put “HAIR” in the subject line, and I will send you pictures. Please note: I will accept PayPal only.

11. Mac says:

Any one wants to sell hair? Please send photos to:
    cuthair@wp.pl
    I am in Southampton
    hair must be longer then 22 inches

12. max says:

hi
    I’m Thai man and live in Exeter UK, I would like to sale my hair (20 inc)

13. Andrea says:

I have a 10 to 12” long ponytail of naturally blonde, sun-highlighted hair. Never colored or processed, washed every other day, and never blow dried or flat ironed. magenta_fly@yahoo.com, headline “HAIR” and I will send pictures.

14. Victoria says:

Its conforting to know not the only one wanting to sell my hair im 21 I was born.and raised in Los Angeles, I have very thick long brown virgin hair..im willing to cut about 18-20 inches..letting my hair down it reaches my mid bottom..its wavy/straight and everyone loves my hair..they dont want me to cutt it off but for a good price ill snip it.

• James William says:

We pay women very well to model hairstyle makeovers and sell their hair at our studio salon in Minneapolis. Much more info available. Most fly in and out the same day.

15. Thao. says:

I just cut my hair n want to sell it, it’s long 21 inches after i cut n measure it. i try to send pic my long hair to u but i can’t. My hair is black n natural, smooth, never dye hair b4.

16. Raquel says:

I have 15 in of thick dark brown hair. Im willing to sell it all for a good price. anybody know a good quik place to sel it

17. dottie says:

i have natural blounde virgin hair over 100 inches i would like to sell

18. amber says:

my hair is dark brown, naturally curly, and at the longest point goes down to the middle of my bottom, at the shortest it is at the top of my bottom. I wash it twice a week, and condition three times a week. very long and beautiful. I get compliments on it all the time. If you are interested in purchasing my hair please let me know.

19. Anthony hewitt says:

I have long mousy brown hair for sale,never dyed and always towel dried,washed once a week about 20 inches long.

20. Rajesh says:

Is anybody out there who would like to sell her long hair for 1000 Rs(Indian currency).Contact mrraj78@gmail.com

21. hitha says:

I have 42 inches long hair and wants to sell around 36 inches of it. Iam from India, non-smoker, non-drinker. If anyone is interested to buy please do mail me at pranahitha_m@yahoo.com.

Thanks
    hitha

22. Nu nu says:

Hi is there anywhere in the east midlands area that anyone knows of that do face to face evaluations? I am 27 and have dark golden blonde hair down to the bottom of my back top of my bottom and would like to find out the value.

23. momkat says:

Hi ,I currently live in Canada but originally from southeast asian I would like to sell my virgin hair 18-20 inches long , It’s color black, never dye, very straight, thick and silky. Prepare to cut after payment.

24. Dan says:

Hi there, we buy hair within the South-East England area. Anyone thinking of selling their hair, please get in touch with us. Thanks
    km.2@live.co.uk

25. Mike says:

Hi I have dark shiny brown hair never treated or blow dried I am a 33 year old male if anyone is interested in buying please email me @ budhollar@gmail.com

26. Cecelia says:

I have 10 inches below my shoulders of a strawberry red color I am looking to sell I need money for a very expensive trip so everything counts. Please help me out. Does anyone know where or who I could sell it too thank you.

27. sally says:

A good new place to list your hair guys is buyandsellhair.com

28. hairbuyer says:

If you want to sell your long hair, please email webuyhair@gmail.com (PayPal only).

29. Tony says:

this is how to get a hold of tony. (marquezs88@yahoo.com)

30. Tony says:

I have well over 2 feet of untreated hair.It is curly and dark brown.I am 26 years old .If you want my hair please email me.

31. Robbie Stevens says:

I have dark-light brown hair, around 10-12 inches long. It has never been coloured or straightened, ive kept it very very natural. It has slight waves in it. I am from England, Bedfordshire. So if you are interested, please do e-mail me. Will be able to send pictures of my hair if needed.

E-Mail: robzcrazy@hotmail.co.uk

32. christine says:

hi my hair is20-22 inches long..i’m from the philippines, i want to sell my hair..how much can i sell it and can someone give me an idea on where and how to sell it?thanks

33. apple says:

Hi !! Iwant to sell my hair..I’m from Philippines but live here in London. my hair is dark brown,thick,straight and no chemicals at all .. anyone who;s interested just email me

34. mary says:

i have some hair from when i was 9 it was completely natural,chestnutty colour,about 12 or more lenght . any offers?

35. Nicole619 says:

Hey everyone if you looking to sell your hair go here OnlineHairAffair.com you can list your hair for free and as I did and people bid on your hair. It’s just like eBay but for hair.
    80) Good luck.

36. Kate says:

Hello,

i have hair down to my bottom and am looking to sell it.

the colour is blonde on top half and brown on bottom, has been treated but i have never used any kind of heat on it and it is very thick and healthy hair i want to sell approx 6 inches.
    it just grows and grows.

get in touch thanx

37. Anna says:

My hair is 60 sm long. And it’s very thick and heavy. My head is tired to wear it. How much in reality I can earn?

38. brian white says:

I would really like to sell 13in. of my shiny, wavy, honeybrown, untreated hair. If anyone is interested, and lives in the Minneapolis area please E-mail me. We can either get together, or I could E-mail some pics. You won’t be disapointed.

39. Edith says:

I have 20-23 inch dark brown hair want to sell. I am a 29 years old chinese. My hair is thick,straight, well-care and no colour treatment. If anyone interest to buy my hair or want to see the pic of my hair, please comment below and i’ll get in touch

40. Vinny says:

I’m chinese, male, and have grown my hair quite long, mainly around 5 inches but around the back it is 6/7 inches. my hair is black and very straight. do you think their is any value in this?

illnessdefined85@googlemail.com

41. Cody says:

I have hair down past my bottom. I am 52 years old and I am just getting tired of it. its getting to much forme to handle.
    Yes, I am a smoker.. my hair is very thick. I am starting to get grey. and yes I have dyed it twice in my life time. so I do not know if it is even worth anythijng. will someone help me out.. I need the money so bad.. I have rent to pay and am on SSI as I am termally ill… can soneone please advice me.. Thank you.. ooooh my hair is dirty blonde

• Cody do get in touch with Banbury Postiche. Tell them about your hair and see what they say. It sounds like you might as well sell it if it’s that long. All the best, Jasmine

42. ralph says:

hey can you help me to sell my hair? im from philippines.

43. Ahmed says:

Hi, I was wanted to know if you know anything about earning money by taking part in medical trials. And if you know and good/trusted websites. Preferrably in Birmingham/West Midlands area please.

44. christine says:

20 in. + Natural,unprocessed med.blonde with highlights.Thick,straight well-cared, for placed in bun or ponytail. WILL SHAVE ! Have to sell for health issues : ( BEST OFFER ! (480) 694 – 3072

45. Jim says:

Contact me if near Minneapolis and want to sell your hair. Jimbob761130(at)hotmail.com.

46. Jim says:

If you are near Minneapolis, contact me to sellyour hair. jimbob761130@hotmail.com

47. james says:

my hair is natural ringlets 8-12 inches long i want to sell any offers to shave? james-leete@live.com

48. I don’t know exactly but why not give Banbury Postiche a call and ask them. It’s a good idea to do it for charity – you could let your local paper know too as they would probably be interested. That way you could get some publicity for it and make more cash.

49. Sweksha says:

My hair is 25 inch long from my shoulder. It’s dark brown. I haven’t dyed or used any chemicals. I used to love long hair but now it’s quite troublesome as I don’t get much time to care for it. I want to cut my hair but not waste it. Do any of u know how much money would I get If i have a cut? coz i am organizing a charity event.

• Dave says:

Hi Sweksha. If you wanting a free haircut and sell your hait for a good price drop me a line at daveonfilms@hotmail.com. Thanks Dave

• susan zhang says:

Hello,I’m selling 26-29in of my healthy, thick and shiny dark brown virgin hair.My hair thickness is 4.2 inches.

I am a student in the university now. My hair is very shiny and soft and straight! My hair has never been dyed, premed or chemically treated and it is very well maintained. I always use shampoo and a lot of condition my hair with Pantene every 3-4 days and always let it dry naturally. I always brush my hair after washing and make it straight like picture. My hair quality is very good and even the end of the hair is still black and soft not dry at all.

The reason I want to sell my hair is because I want to change my hair style. I kept it nearly 5 years and never do any hair dressing. And it is getting a little heavier for me. It grows very fast anyway.

Due to the file size limitation of this site, the photos attached are not of the best quality. Please contact me if you want to see the original camera files or you want to see more pictures of my hair.

Payment and shipping: I will cut my hair by my regular hair dresser once payment is received. I will only take Paypal payments for this transaction. Paypal payments have to come from a verified paypal account with confirmed shipping addresses.

Serious buyers, please!

Dave, could you please help me as well! if you want i can attach my hair pictures as well

• Hair Buyer says:

If your hair is till available, please email: webuyhair@gmail.com

• Rafael Garcia says:

Iam half mexican and half puertorican and i have a 20 inch ponytail it is brown with shiny golden natural highlights in it iam trying to sell it is virgin hair it is very shiny because i take very good care of it and take alot of vitamin E i wash it every two days to keep the natural oils in it.so make me an offer asap and will see what happens from there

50. Margaret says:

I have 8-9 inches to spare if thats any good? I used to be very blond but now it’s a mix of dark and light brown with blond streaks. Has never been dyed or had fancy straitners and whatnot on it. I tend to towel dry my hair and that is it.

Haha! I’m in serious need of a haircut. I don’t feel like going to my local because they waste more time chatting than cutting. Anyone else get that with their local? Haha.