Mystery shopping: Become a mystery shopper and get Paid to Shop and Eat Out

Mystery shopping: Become a mystery shopper and get Paid to Shop and Eat Out Susan/Flickr

Become a mystery shopper and get free meals in restaurants, stays in hotels and free drinks in bars. Different mystery shopping companies will provide you with different assignments depending on who their clients are. We can show you here how to get mystery shopping jobs and get lots of freebies as a mystery shopper.

Mystery shopping (sometimes known as secret shopping) has been around for 60 years and is now highly regulated in the UK. The Market Research Society has created a code of conduct, and standards are maintained by trade bodies such as the Mystery Shopping Providers Association.

What is mystery shopping?

Nowadays, all industry sectors employ mystery shoppers – retail, automotive, financial services, hospitality, property, call centres, mystery_shoppingpublic services, travel and even the voluntary sector – so there’s a huge range of work available.

If you become a mystery shopper you could be enjoying a weekend break one month and phoning a call centre to complain about your gas bill the next. You don’t need any formal qualifications to be a mystery shopper – but you do need to have good observational skills and a good memory.

Most mystery shopping agencies ask that you don’t write notes or make what you’re doing obvious while you’re ‘on the job’, as it can affect the way you’re treated by the staff. The company’s main objective is to get an impartial experience. Mystery shopping is very flexible and not usually suitable as a full-time job, but it can be good to fit around other jobs in your life.

And remember that mystery shoppers are classed as self-employed, so you’ll need to declare your earnings to the Inland Revenue.

Jasmine says...

Quote 1

Viewsbank is a new mystery shopping site that could see you earn up to £100 per assignment! Check it out here.

Quote 2

Different types of mystery shopper jobs

Report-only mystery shopper

This is the most common option. You’ll be given a brief and a checklist of things to look out for. You need to follow your instructions (without letting anybody know you’re testing them), evaluate the response and then provide feedback, usually by way of an online questionnaire.

Telephone mystery shopper

If you don’t trust your acting skills you might prefer to stick to the phone – there’s plenty of work available. You’ll be given a company to call with a host of questions that a typical customer may have. Again, you’ll need to assess the response and provide feedback.

Postal monitoring

post boxThis one requires minimum effort. Your home address is simply used for receiving brochures and other promotional material. You return the items, and the content and speed of delivery is measured.

N.B. don’t be conned by ‘mystery shopping’ scams that get you to receive money into your bank account and then send most of it on to a foreign account to ‘test’ the money transfer company. These are totally bogus and should be avoided and, ideally, reported to Actionfraud. Be careful only to use the mystery shopping agencies we mention on Moneymagpie so that you are not scammed.

You’ll be sending specific enquiries to websites and monitoring the speed and content of the response. Again, you’ll need to assess and then pass on your findings.

Covert video mystery shopper

This is specialist stuff and only for well-trained shoppers. Essentially, you’re given a brief; you enter the premises as a customer, and then you record the entire process using covert video cameras. Companies need clear pictures, so don’t go for this if you record your feet at family events!

…ooh, and…

Garnier Hand CreamGet free goodies to test out for Toluna. They have loads of products they need to have tested so if you sign up for the testing side can get new things every month. Right now, for example, they’re getting people to test out Garnier Hand Cream and pots of caviar…yes seriously! So you can see the kind of things you could get to try for nothing.  Click here to join up now and get all these great freebies.

GET OUR WEEKLY NEWSLETTER

How to get involved as a mystery shopper

Step 1: Find the right mystery shopping agency for you.

Check out the list below and sign up with one of them many mystery shopping agencies around. It’s not a complete list. The full list of genuine agencies can be found in our mystery shopping eBook (half price right now!).

Some specialise in specific industries, others are more general. You could try investigating the major department stores – Selfridges for example has its own mystery shopping panel.

This list contains some the better mystery shopping agencies in the UK. If you want to find your own, just make sure they’re based in the UK with a UK phone number and address.

Make sure you keep an eye out for the small ads too. Local papers and recruitment agencies often carry mystery shopping adverts.

You should be looking for the ones you’ll get the most out of, whether that is the pay you receive for the jobs you do, or the freebies you get from the places you inspect.

It should never cost you to join a company – they should be paying you for the work you do.

Step 2: Go out in the field.

Once you’re accepted to your chosen agency, you can begin looking for jobs on their website.

This is the hard part! You need to go and shop – or eat – or enjoy a show – but the main objective is to follow your instructions exactly, without having the instructions in front of you.

You’ll need to report on products and services, which can include anything from aspects of the decor, cleanliness, atmosphere, how the staff deal with other customers, how many staff there are and what they’re all doing.

Step 3: Reporting on your mystery shopping experience.

This will usually involve filling in a questionnaire with short or longer answers about your experience as a customer.

You’ll only get reimbursed and/or paid after you’ve reported on your job. This is usually done within 24 hours of your assignment.

Pay rates differ from company to company and depend on the complexity of the work.

Generally, you can expect to earn £5 – £25 per task plus expenses (but as little as £1 – £5 for phone work).

Useful links

Whatever you do, don’t miss our number one article 10 easy ways to make quick cash – featuring the very best money makers around including mystery shopping!

149 Responses to “Mystery shopping: Become a mystery shopper and get Paid to Shop and Eat Out”

1. sheila says:

I would be interested if I was confident that the company /ies were grnuine.For some reason I feel suspicious.

2. victoria thurgood says:

its not really for me think alot of these company just want your details for free

3. Lindsay Seels says:

I think mystery shopping is great as I have seen a decline in customer service, and this needs to be spotted and worked on to provide a good service for the customer and the shop to increase turn over.

4. Hannah Whitling says:

Absolutely love the idea of this, think I’m going to have to look into it

5. Shelley Jessup says:

I have always wanted to join in with mystery shopping so thank you so much for all this information it is defintely something I want to do as I enjoy reviewing & have customer services skills

6. karen T says:

It’s a fantastic idea, but ll the places I’ve signed up to try out as a mystery shopper have never gotten back to me!

7. John Mcgovern says:

I never realised there was such diverse ways to work as a mystery shopper. Being paid to shop and eat sounds perfect. I certainly would give it a try if I was looking for a new career.

8. Debbie Bird says:

A vey interesting article it sounds a great way to earn some extra money and free meals too

9. Stuart says:

Mystery shopping is a good idea. The shops (all being well) have no idea you’ve gone into their premises as a mystery shopper – so you get to give very honest opinions and also hopefully get a bit of cash too :-) Shame Ofsted and the CQC don’t do the same.

10. Sally W says:

I love the idea of this and am signed up to a company to ‘give it a go’ at some point – trouble is, time constraints won’t permit right now – but i’m definitely going to do at least one … eventually. Think it’s a great idea :-)

11. Wendy Tolhurst says:

I did some mystery shopping a few years ago (can’t remember the company). It fitted with my lifestyle at the time (I had young children and was at home during the day). It worked well when it was somewhere I wanted to purchase goods from but the jobs were few and far between so I stopped doing it.

12. sarah says:

Think it would be great, im going to have a look into how to do it :)

13. Gemma Aktekin says:

I am already signed up to a mystery shopping site, it’s really interesting I like to give feedback knowing it will be used.

14. Selina says:

I’ve done it before, its a great way to earn some extra cash

15. sandra says:

I was doing mystery shopping about seven years ago. I did enjoy it, especially the food and post office jobs ( :) ) The pay gradually got less though so it stopped being worth it for me. I would consider it again in the future though

16. Susan Race says:

I used to mystery shop several years ago, but now I find I don’t have the time as the assignments are always really short notice.

17. I haven’t tried it
    I suppose my shyness is putting me off

18. Jenny Rogers says:

I joined a site on the recommendation of friends, but I haven’t completed any assignments yet. They always seem to be too short notice, or require a lot of information for quite a small payment.

19. Kristy Brown says:

I’d love to get paid to shop and am actually signed upa s one – but they are always crazy things they ask me to do

20. Gail says:

I did a few mystery shops some years ago but found that the company asked for information in the online questionnaire that they had not alerted me to in the preparatory notes (staff names for example), payment was tiny and items were to be purchased and returned on the same day at an out of town retail park store – they might as well have asked me to identify myself as a mystery shopper! The online form gave no space for other comments and so often real problems with the shop could not be highlighted.

21. Jun Mo says:

A good way to earn some extra money and to experience some new things

22. Greig spencer says:

id love to get paid to shop!! what a fantastic job to have!! so looking inti it lol

23. Rebecca Barnes says:

Have already done a couple of mystery shopping assignments but learned a lot from this article! Best advice I have from my experience is be dilligent about timings and check name badges of everyone you deal with. You’ll be kicking yourself later filling in the form if you don’t!

24. Valerie B says:

I have done MS-ing for years and have found it a great way to earn a little extra money while enjoying meals out, hotel stays, etc. You do need to be very organised and have a good memory, though smartphones have made life easier as you can easily jot down notes to help with your report without looking too conspicuous.

25. victoria says:

Interesting read. Always liked the idea of being a mystery shopper. Driving licence seems to be essential though :/

26. Ali Thorpe says:

Years ago, I did Mystery Shopping-type tasks for my cinema, checking the advertising displays and during the trailers. I got a small payment and was able to watch the film for free and it slotted in easily with general shopping. There are a lot of suspicious companies out there so it’s nice to hear here of the ones who are legitimate.

27. Stephanie Whitehouse says:

I know someone who does this as a hobby, and enjoys the trips out as much as what he earns. I wish there was an online form I could try – I don’t like going out much

28. Linda Sallie Guest says:

It sounds like a brilliant job but when I enquired about doing it a couple of years ago I wasn’t able to meet the time commitments due to my full time job as some shopping had to be done on a specific day or time.

29. katie keech says:

Something i would hopefully be able to try one day ! :)

30. claire haskins says:

i always get emails to try doing it but never taken the offers up! i have a big outlet centre near me and im always offered visits!

31. Alexandra McGahey says:

I am signed up to a mystery shopping company but have yet to complete my first assignment as I just haven’t had the spare time. It’s something I will definitely be doing in the near future and am positive about.

32. Kirsty Greer says:

I have been a mystery shopper for years. Can highly recommend grassroots as a company x

33. Kim Newsome says:

I would LOVE to be a mystery shopper! Whenever we stay in hotels my fiance and I play ‘Four In A Bed’ hahaha

34. Neil says:

Have not tried mystery shopping. Are there any pitfalls for the disabled or elderly?

35. Paul L says:

Very interesting and informative. I will consider it some more now. Thanks

• Valerie B says:

It can actually be an advantage as some jobs specifically look for people with disabilities so that they can assess if staff are following procedures and if there are any problems that they face. With regards to age, some jobs do look for young people and specify that you have to be under a certain age, especially for clothes shops in very trendy stores, but many jobs are open to all ages.

36. Sally Carter says:

mystery shopping is a good way of boosting your income and having fun at the same time

37. sandy says:

I would have two problems – one is I just know assignments would be to places which I don’t enjoy LOL. And the other is the proliferation of spam messages claiming to be looking for mystery shoppers. It’s leading to a lack of faith in the whole concept.

38. Natalie Gibbings says:

I am a mystery shopper and it is a great way to earn a little extra money but you can’t make a living out of it :)

39. helen newton says:

Mystery shopping is a great way to earn extra cash , especially if its Mystery Shopping bars & Restaurants as you get to have an evening out aswell .

40. Krystyna Hodson says:

Mystery shopping or tasting food will be great for me. I do love shopping and eating out. Often I thought about but never tried.

41. denise s says:

i heard of mystery shopping but never known anyone admit to doing it from my friends or colleagues! i will be seriously thinking about trying it after reading this artcile.

42. Elaine Savage says:

I’ve done Mystery Shopping for a number of years, its a way of earning a very small amount of money with little difficulty.

43. Rebecca Mateille says:

I have often wondered about mystery shopping. I don’t know anyone who does it but I think I might give it a try…

44. J Clarke says:

I overheard someone discussing mystery shoppers in Asda whilst I was shopping a few weeks ago.
    It does sound very interesting with the added incentive of the fee at the end.
    Not sure if this would suit me but certainly enjoyed finding out more about what Mystery Shoppers actually do.

45. Maggie Coates says:

This is something I have often thought of doing, but never have.

46. Jennifer B says:

What an informative article – thank you! I’ve always wanted to give mystery shopping a go. I’ve never met anyone that’s done it.

47. Bryn says:

Sounds interesting. Would probably go for it if I could stick to restaurants.

48. tamalyn roberts says:

i do love shopping and eating out so it would be the perfect job, would be perfect full time x

49. Maureen Williams says:

At one time, I did think I would rather like to be a mystery shopper, as I do like product testing and analysis and reviewing. As time has gone by I don’t think this is for me, mainly because my hearing isn’t very good, and also because I find it very difficult to give other than truthful answers, so my role-playing would let me down!

50. Jo Young says:

I’ve always been intrigued by Mystery Shopping but always feel as though the companies may not be genuine!

51. Ncornfo says:

I did a restaurant mystery shop a few years ago and that was interesting. Also had a recent delivery of dishwasher tablets to test after a survey on global test market. Free dishwasher tablets is not to be sniffed at! Especially as there were 3 months worth!

52. louisa says:

I think mystery shopping is a good idea, so that the shops,restaurants etc are getting feedback from a person they don’t know is there to rate them.

53. Jenny says:

I’ve heard of mystery shopping before and it sounds really interesting, though I don’t know if I have a good enough poker face to not give the game away!

54. Emma says:

Thank you for the brilliant article, full of some information I have been looking for relating to genuine Mystery Shopper websites. I always recieve emails inviting me but am always dubious. Will have a look into some of these as it is something I have considered but was unsure which websites to approach :)

55. Jamie Millard says:

Great article. Mystery shopping will be very valuable to a lot of your subscribers. I have done a little bit in the past – mainly clothes shops where you buy an item and get to keep it as well as a small fee. Simple, easy task and easy money.

Sometimes the fee can be paltry though which means you need a lot to make it really worthwhile, unless you get to step up to the bigger jobs.

Hotel mystery shopping would be where i’d love to get to.

56. David Paterson says:

Never been sure about this – There Ain’t No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!

57. Honeybee says:

As someone on a really low income, I was really interested in ‘mystery shopping’ as a way of effectively utilising my time and earning a little along the way. However, I found having to be able to come up with the upfront costs and then having to wait for your claim to be processed and reimbursed was a bit too much of a ‘stretch’ for someone like me only such a low income.
    However, if ‘mystery shopping’ really does improve services for all customers, then it can only be a good thing.

58. Sharon Griffin says:

sounds like the perfect job to me :)

59. Jackie Foster says:

I’ve recently signed up to a site but have not yet done any assignments as nothing suitable has been offered might have a look at some of the others

60. Vivien Taylor says:

Sounds a great idea if it improves the experience for customers.

61. Anna says:

I was a mystery shopper for a couple of months but the outfit which employed me made it very difficult to ring in the results and there was little opportunity to qualify or expand on observations. It just wasn’t worth the effort but I love the concept of being a mystery shopper and wish it was extended to medical and other services

62. kimberley ryan says:

looks fun and can give companies good feedback on customer service etc

63. Marycarol says:

Mystery shopping sounds like good fun and a way of earning a wee bit extra cash

64. jennifer thorpe says:

It sounds like a great idea, but I wouldn’t have the time to do it

65. Tracy K Nixon says:

Yes, I would certainly be interested in it! Sounds really interesting and nice to earn a little bit extra cash too!

66. Barbara Jane Shaw says:

I was a mystery shopper when I was at University and when my children were small, it was a great way to earn a little cash, dine out in some fab places and get some great products free. After reading this, I am hankering to give it another go!

67. Chris Jones says:

Sounds like a tedious waste of everybody’s time.

68. louise mcnicol says:

It seems like a great job. The best of both worlds really. I was always wary as it seemed too good but it is worth pursuing, especially as I am now armed with knowledge.

69. Paula says:

Would be a fabulous job, I’m job hunting at the minute since I was hit with the bombshell that all temporary contracts in my workplace end on 11th April. Happy Easter, not for us!

70. Danielle Vedmore says:

I would certainly be interested in it! Sounds really interesting.

71. Jacqueline Fawcett says:

I’ve always had an interest in mystery shopping, sounds fun!

72. W Roberts says:

Never tried it but sounds a blast.

73. angela sandhu says:

I have never tried it but it seems like a good idea

74. Lisa Rhodes says:

Ive done mystery shopping before and find it a fun way to get paid

75. mel crumpton says:

brilliant idea

76. Pm liu says:

I’ve always wanted to become a mystery shopper but was worried I would get scammed, but having read all the positive comments I might do some research & look into the reputable companies mentioned in your article. Can you join more then one company or is it better to just stick to one?

77. Edward Guerreiro says:

I have never done it, but I think that it’s a great idea. This is based on the understanding that it’s possible for reform to be implemented upon getting the results, and also making sure, especially with negative reports, many different ‘shoppers’ are sent to that particular shop (As the ‘shooper’ themselves might have too high expectations, or just be a psycho).

78. Vicky S says:

I did a little bit of mystery shopping but found you had to pick your assignments carefully so as not to end up out of pocket overall

79. bhavesh mistry says:

would love to win this

80. Fiona S says:

Have never thought about doing it before but this article is really informative.

81. Sarah D says:

I’ve done it a couple of times and quite enjoyed it, having worked in retail and customer service jobs myself for quite a few years previously. None of the companies I was signed up with contacted me very regularly with assignments though sadly!

82. Graeme says:

I have done one for Royal Mail monitoring the unaddressed (junk) mail you get. Easy to do.

83. glenn hutton says:

Good idea if you have the time…

84. Natasha Tantony says:

Mystery shopping has always intrigued me. I think it would be a fantastic opportunity and really interesting.

85. anthony harrington says:

Have never been a mystery shopper, think it looks a fun way to earn some extra money. Also good that companies want genuine feedback on their services.

86. Lesley Walsh says:

I’ve see emails in my spam box and I must admit that I am afraid of being scammed. I’m not sure that the returns would be worthwhile.

87. sian hallewell says:

Must be signed up with the wrong one- did it once, far too much effort for the very small return

88. jen english says:

I’ve done some mystery shopping. It’s fun! I was very nervous at first but you soon get over that and what can be better than getting paid to shop or eat?

89. Charlotte Ingham says:

Would love to be a mystery shopper but I’d be scared of saying something wrong and getting caught out!

90. Fiona K says:

My sister-in-law is a mystery shopper part-time and loves it. She gets to try lots of products and services for free, gets paid and gets to keep a lot of samples. I would happily try this myself one day when not working part-time.

91. Zoe G says:

I have signed up recently for mystery shopping, yet to do an assignment yet as they are all a bit too far for it to be worthwhile

92. Lynsey Buchanan says:

I think Mystery shopping is a great way to ensure shops are giving the consumer the service they deserve. In this tight economy the shops really have to please there customers to ensure they return.

93. Sandra Stitchell says:

This would be great to do as I enjoy reviewing products and this is a natural extension. Unfortunately I am in the wrong area as we live in the country. Have to stick to reviews I think.

94. I used to Mystery Shop for companies, but now I’m a full time student, paying in advance for goods/hotels/meals isn’t really feasible. A lot of sites have reduced their fees to very minimal figures too, so I don’t find it worth my time and effort anymore.

95. Philip Darling says:

I’d love to be a mystery shopper – bit like being a secret agent without the danger

96. carol bradnock says:

never done it but would like to

97. Caroline Clarke says:

Mystery shopping sounds so great. I’d love to get paid to eat a meal.

98. fozia says:

I would love to try mystery shopping…it sounds fun!

99. Sarah Bond says:

Think its handy because it shows that companies are keeping standards high for customers

100. chey says:

its not really worth it for £5/10 a time

101. steven young says:

Mystery shopping is something I’ve always wanted to try.
    After reading this brilliant article, I’m definately going to look into it.

102. Kate Loader says:

Interesting article – I have previously looked into mystery shopping

103. Joanne Blunt says:

It is something I’ve thought about before, but I’ve always been a bit scared to try. I might have a go after reading this article though.

104. Claire B says:

Never tried, would love to . But dont know where to start as so many fakes companies etc these days

105. Suzy M says:

Handy for people who have the free time to do it. It’s a very useful for companies to have their customer service/products tested & feedback given.

106. Paul Wilson says:

I’ve not tried mystery shopping. Interesting article into it.

107. Lucy Walker says:

I’ve never done it but would be very interested in it as I’m a stickler for good customer service!

108. Sarah Lindo says:

Not for me havnt tried it and no desire to

109. Sarah Maclean says:

I have only recently signed up for Mystery Shopping, but have successfully completed my first assignment and have been paid with no problem. It was very interesting and fun too. Will definitely be doing more!

110. Jamie Barnes says:

I did mystery shopping for about a year, but like a lot of others on here found it to actually end up costing me more than I was earning in terms of travel costs and inconvenience etc. I would strongly advise only doing it if you live in a big town or city (which I don’t) so that you can walk to places and save costs that way.

I am still signed up to a couple of sites that send me mystery shopping job offers but all it seems to be are for fast food chains or big tech companies. There are plenty of decent sites out there but also plenty of dodgy ones (never pay to become a mystery shopper!)

111. Kathryn Casbolt says:

Very interesting read. Mystery shopping is certainly something I would consider doing, I like the idea of the variety of assignments! Mystery shoppers can only, in the long run, improve things for customers.

112. Roxy says:

I just want to make a comment with regards to mystery shopping. Before searching for mystery shopper roles always make sure you read fully before proceeding further, make sure the website is based in the country you are in UK and there is a contact number, company info and an email and feel free to send an email so for peace of mind you know it is a genuine website. As many sites are spams. Never give any personal information. If you see an international site offering this work be very vigilant and aware.

113. Travis says:

Hi there! We never charge shoppers and are always looking for good quality reviewers. Please check us out here: advancedfeedback.com

Travis

114. Moneymagpie says:

Hi there,

We’re very sorry that some of the companies we listed spammed you. Please could you let us know which ones they were and we can look into it?

Thanks

Moneymagpie

115. Regina King says:

I am a financial Writer. I have written articles for many other sites and blogs. So, Please give me the opportunity to write “Guest Post” for your blog (moneymagpie.com).

Waiting for your positive reply.

116. Sally C says:

Hi all, I registered with JKS after last weeks newsletter about Casino Visits. I was accpeted and have completed 1 visit so far and have another visit planned. All seems to be going well, will be even better in a few weeks when I get paid.

Thanks for highlighting a great opportunity Jasmine.

117. Adewale says:

I’m trying to become a mystery shopper and have to fill in this questionnaire to continure the application. It keeps saying I’m not giving the right answers and I’m so confused as I’ve been a mystery shopper before and no matter how many combinations I use it says they’re wrong! What answers would you give?

1.Before you set out for your visit, you should…

(a) Check the address and location of the shop you are to visit:
    (b)Wear a watch
    (c)Check your brief for details / instructions
    (d)All of the above

2. At what stage in the visit do you approach staff ?
    (a)Right away
    (b)Never, if staff dont approach you
    (c)When instructed to do so on your brief

3. Which of the following responses to an assistant’s approach would generate a productive conversation
    (a)Have you got this in my size
    (b)Have you got this in pink with high heels and a strap
    (c)I’m looking for new shoes for a party
    (d)Does this come in blue

4. If you can not establish the name of the assistant, do you….
    (a)Not worry about it
    (b) Ask the assistant their name (stating ‘in case you have more questions’ or ‘ you want to contact them’)
    (c)Settle for the description

5. When would you tell the assistant that you are the Mystery Shopper
    (a)At the end of your visit
    (b)By Phone, after your visit
    (c)Never
    (d)At the beginning of your visit

6. When would you fill-in your questionnaire?
    (a)In a quiet place in the store
    (b)Sitting in your car but visible to the shop
    (c)Once you have reached home
    (d)Not necessary to fill it in, your memory and notes are sufficient

• Alan Breeze says:

I have the exact same problem and have tried every conceivable combination of what appears to be correct answers without luck Does anyone know the answers ?

118. John Smith says:

HI again.
    Don’t know if it was my typo, of if my post was incorrectly edited, but I regularly earn £3,000 to £4,000 per month as a video mystery shopper, and not the £300 – £400 stated in my previous post.
    I’m not saying that to show off, but simply to try and show people that mystery shopping can be more than just a “hobby” and a way of earning a few “freebies”. Although I accept that we are in the minority, there is a small (but growing) band of professional mystery shoppers that earn a comfortable full time income. In the current economic climate, mystery shopping, and especially video mystery shopping is a viable option. Thanks

• Jennifer Coles says:

Hi John, thanks very much for your comment on mystery shopping. It is encouraging to hear of your success. I am writing about this subject for Moneymagpie and would love to chat to you a bit more about how you got into mystery shopping, and what it is like to carry out video surveillance. Would it be possible to get in touch with you please?

• roger says:

how do i start doing what your doing?

• Mystery Shopper says:

Hi jhone

Can you tell us about this site that you said that you earn£3,000 to £4,000 per month as a video mystery shopper,

119. Sarah-Lou says:

Some fab resources there! Anyone know of any more agencies? I get work now and then but would love it to be more regular! At the moment I have signed up with the two places I found on:

mysteryshopperjobs.co.uk/

120. kerrie says:

hi, im interested in becoming a mystery shopper but when i have come to sign up with the agencys above i have been put of by them asking the value of my house, when it was built. value of my car and what car i drive. is this normal as i dont see why this information is relevant to them.
    please can someone advise me, kind regards

121. Han says:

I’ve signed up for a lot of the agencies named in the article (Performance in People, GFK, JKS and Retail Eyes) and have heard back from all of them, some are only offering assignments a bit too far afield for me (ie. airports or just big cities) but atleast they are offering them so they all seem good. I am completing an assignment today for GFK so definitely a good one as long as they do pay up!

I have also completed lots of assignments for Grass Roots mystery shopping agency – I’ve been signed up to them for over a year and complete about two/three assignments a month – including one every month that means getting an online grocery shop for free and only answering a couple of questions for it! I have been paid for Grass Roots assignments lots of times too (they pay twice a month so you don’t have to wait too long) so I can definiely vouch for them being genuine and trustworthy. Certainly couldn’t make a living off it at the moment but its nice to have a bit extra every month.

122. John Smith says:

Great post. It’s really good to find some constructive advice about mystery shopping. I have been a video mystery shopper for five years now and am able to earn £300 – £400 per month from a handful of agencies that supply me with regular work. I get fed up reading all the negative comments from people who think it’s either a complete scam or, at best just a way to earn a bit of pin money and get a free burger. Thank you for giving such balanced, objective advice.

123. FIONA says:

JASMINE I am looking for a job in about six months at the end of an admin contract. I would like to do mystery shopping and one that pays well and promtly and will provide me with regular part time or full time work any ideas? I have vast experience in this field as I come from a sales background and complain if I find service is poor for free though!

Do you know of any companies that need testers e.g to test cosmetics say or any companies that would employ instore mystery shoppers or spys? Always fancied going undercover!!!

What about market research, who could I approach for this field?

What about market research?

124. Don Lobaugh says:

Interesting and good stuff. Keep it coming. I am always interested in the story

125. George says:

I have completed a couple of assignments with a company called Retail Eyes, they seem very good so far and I have been paid the fee set with no problems.

126. Sadye Brees says:

Good post and nice design, is this a regular template?

127. Ayesha says:

Hmmm – I just applied on the JKS website – filled out all the info requested and set up an account which immediately flagged up as “deactivated”. The link next to this flag takes me to a page which has a link to take me back to the initial page……………….. methinks me’s been had….? Damn it…..anyone had any success with the co’s listed on this page?

• Paul Prowse says:

Ayesha,

For JKS, once you have completed your application form you should receive an email that says your application has been ‘manually deactivated’ This is because this company vets each application form before they allow it into their database. If you have been successful in your application they will ‘activate’ your application within 10 days.

If this hasn’t happened after 10 days, e-mail JKS directly (info@jksmysteryshopping.co.uk )

• Ayesha says:

Well,10 days passed and not a squeak. Emailed JKS as instructed by Paul………..no reply as yet. Odd that I have signed up to a few and haven’t heard anything at all………has anyone has any luck with these sites/companies and actually earned money?

• I’ve done quite a lot of work with TNS-Global in the past. Two friends of mine have worked with some of the others. It’s odd that you haven’t heard back from them

• Mrs Hibbs says:

I have worked as a Video Mystery Shopper for 15 years now and get most of my work from Performance in People, they are great to work for and always pay on time. Anyone thinking of doing this type of job…DO NOT REGISTER WITH COMPANIES THAT ASK FOR A FEE OF ANY KIND.
            If the agency has not emailed you then give them a call and introduce yourself…the reason they have’nt emailed is probably because they don’t have any work available in the area’s you specified so be prepared to travel further.

128. John G says:

Does one need to be wary if a mystery shopping co want to charge you to join? I thought they shouldn;t do this if they were genuine. UK Mystery Shopper want tocharge a one of fee of £22.95. Can anyone advise?

• Paul Prowse says:

John,

You should never have to pay to become a mystery shopper – there is absolutely no need.

Use one of the companies mentioned in the article above instead, who will not charge you for the privilege!

129. jowanda sturdivant says:

do you know anything about larox flowsys agency they have something to do with mystery shopping and i cant find it anywhere on line.

130. Nicola says:

The new mystery shopping company page has been shut down.

131. Rich12345 says:

Some other great sites include:

.ukims.co.uk/docs/services/mystery-shopping.asp