Make money selling cakes, jams and sweets

Make money selling cakes, jams and sweets dgj103/Flickr

Make money by making cakes, jams and sweets and selling them at local car boot sales and markets. Take a look at our guide to making and selling your delicious creations below.

Cash from your cakes

Choc Fudge Cake with prune pureeThe beautiful thing about earning by baking is that it’s straightforward and flexible. It isn’t something that you necessarily have to do on a regular basis – if you’re a little short of cash one week, it’s easy enough to hunt down your next local car boot sale and get baking. All you’ll really need is to have a good few recipes under your belt and a reasonable idea of what people would buy.

You don’t have to be qualified for this, but there are hundreds of baking/cake decorating courses you can go on which are likely to benefit the quality of your products. You can find courses at LearnDirect. The Food Standards Agency has also got some useful information on starting up a food business if you decide that baking is the business for you.

Here’s our foolproof six-step guide to selling your home-made cakes, jams and sweets:

Steps to success

Step 1: Research

Take a trip to your local car boot sale or farmers’ market and look for which food stalls are the busiest. If it seems like jam is the ‘in-thing’ and there aren’t that many stalls that sell it, you’ve found your product.

If you’re at a car boot and there aren’t any stalls selling food then it’s a good idea to take a look at the people that are there. Are they the sort who would prefer to buy upmarket, fancy, homemade produce or a couple of 10p fairy cakes to nibble on while they have a browse for basement bargains? Make the kind of cakes and sweets you think you could sell easily.

Ask your family and friends what they’d like. Try to ask a wide range of people and see if you come out with any unanimous decisions. Also, speak to any cake sellers you see at fairs and markets and ask them which cakes sell best.

It’s also important to research the food safety standards you’ll have to meet to keep on the right side of the law. Legislation says that all food businesses must register their kitchens with their local authority unless they operate on a “casual and limited” basis only.

If you’re simply selling once in a blue moon at a car boot sale or market then you don’t need to worry. However, if you are planning on making an income in this way, contact your local council and ask them what the rules are in your area: oddly the laws vary depending on where you live.For example, in some places you will need to become a registered trader even if you only sell your food once every couple of months. If you do have to register your kitchen, it’s totally free to do so and the council is obliged to accept your application.

Be aware that if you’re regularly selling food produce, it’s highly likely you’ll need to take a course in food hygiene. You can do this over the internet and it’ll cost you from about £15. The course is mostly just common sense so it’s reasonably easy and you can complete it in your own time.

Jasmine says...

Quote 1

If you have a sweet tooth then check out Sweets for Free. Enter a competition or complete a survey and you’ll get free chocolate and sweets! What are you waiting for? Sign up now.

Quote 2

Step 2: Costings

If you want to make this moneymaking scheme worth your while, you need to do some basic costings.

It doesn’t have to be complicated. You’ll need to take into consideration:

• How much ingredients cost
  • Cost of the sale location fee (car boot sale/farmers market fee) if there is one
  • Cost of travel to the location
  • Cost of the food packaging (keep it simple to start with – clingfilm will do in some places)
  • Initial cost of food hygiene training (if you’re planning on regular sales)
  • Cost of labels/general stationery/invoicing pads
  • Extra cost of gas or electricity for your oven

Once you’ve worked out how much all of this is likely to cost you, you should be able to work out how much you’ll need to sell your cakes, sweets and jams for to break even and then make a profit.

While you do your research, you should be taking note of how much other stallholders sell their cakes and foods for, to get a rough idea of how much you can reasonably expect to charge.

If you have to price your products extortionately just to make a profit, see if there’s anywhere you can cut back on costs. Shop around for cheaper ingredients or look for different locations that aren’t as pricey.

Get new money-making secrets every week for free. Signup here now!

• ONLY USED FOR OUR WEEKLY EMAIL

Step 3: Recipe experimentation

Slice cut from a Victoria sponge sandwich cakeOnce you’ve got a good idea of the kind of people you’re going to be selling to, it’s time to get your product sorted. You’ll need to come up with a range of different products to make this work.

If you want to sell jams then make taster pots of all different flavours and try out different variations of ingredients. For cakes, try out different methods, ingredients, flavours and fillings. With sweets test out different recipes. You could try focusing on one area, like chocolate, fudge or maybe even health food!

Get your friends and family to try all your samples out and find out which are the most popular choices. They’ll likely be more than willing to help!

It’s worth knowing that at farmers’ markets, you’re not likely to sell much unless you use local, organic ingredients. People who go to these events look for traditional homemade foods and one of the pros of shopping for food at a farmers’ market is that you’re able to ask the stallholder precisely where the food is from and how it was made.

Stallholders at farmers’ markets should be prepared to give honest, credible answers to customers – so factor these more expensive ingredients into your budget. Remember that people are usually willing to pay for high quality.

Step 4: Location

Before you decide to make a real go of this, it’s advisable to give it a few test runs somewhere that isn’t going to cost you the earth.

Try out a stall at a car boot sale first, because it will only cost you between £5 and £15 to set up there. You can find your nearest car boot sale on Carbootjunction. For more information on car boot sales you can read our full guide here.

Once you’re more established, you might consider going a little more upmarket, although if you have cracked the car boot market you could also simply increase the number of cakes you take with you and let your business grow that way.

There are a number of other outlets that will let you sell your goods, such as the Women’s Institute, which runs country markets around the UK. It costs just 5p to join and they’ll take about 10% commission on sales to cover the costs of the market.

To join, you just need to pop down to your local market and have a word with the controller. You can find the contact details for your local market on the website or you can call their head office on 01246 261508 for more information.

To set up a stall at a farmers’ market, you need to find one local to you. You can do this by searching the Local Foods website for your nearest market. The website doesn’t deal directly with the people who run the markets so you can contact them via the details they provide on the site.

Step 5: Presentation

cakePresentation is important, particularly if you sell at an upmarket venue. Consider your customers: are they going to want something ‘cheap and cheerful’, or posh-looking homemade produce? Funnily enough, some of the more expensive jams and cakes have ‘the rustic look’: you could find yourself charging a lot for produce which looks especially homely!

Packaging can affect your sales in a big way. Ribbon is cheap if you buy in bulk from a haberdashery store, and can neaten up any edges around your cakes. If you’re selling jams it’s worth getting some fancy labels printed, or spending some time decorating your own. You could experiment with themed packaging around holidays like Easter and Christmas, and for days like Valentine’s Day and Hallowe’en.

Whatever you use to package your products, it’s important to remember that you’re dealing with food. This means that you are limited to certain types of packaging depending on what food you’re selling. It’s mainly the use of adhesives which is restricted but again – you’ll need to contact your local council for more information.

Step 6: Taking it further

A simple way to get some repeat business is to get some business cards printed off. If you’re making cakes, you could then advertise the fact that you bake to order for parties and events (if your kitchen can take the strain!)

Pop into local cafés and coffee shops (not the chain outlets), hand them your card and make your services known – maybe even provide them with a few samples.

At the moment there is a Brazilian company looking for jam, cakes and biscuits. If you want to find out more then register your interest here.

If you thought this article was sweet we think you’ll also love…

Useful links

196 Responses to “Make money selling cakes, jams and sweets”

1. carla mills says:

Hi

This was a great help, finding this site. I am in the planning stages of setting up a little baking business from home. I am looking to start by summer next year selling my products at the local markets and carboot. I am considering approaching my local business gateway for some help and would like a copy of you business plan if possible.

thanks

carla

2. Meral says:

Hi,
    i am so glad that i found your blog the informations are very helpful … thank you!

could i please have a copy of your business plan that would help me a lot.

3. Matt says:

Hi, please could you email me a copy of your business plan.

Thanks,
    matt_rothwell@hotmail.co.uk

4. Stephanie says:

Hi Rob, if you don’t mind. Can you send me a copy please.
    Many thx
    steph1.ip@gmail.com

5. Jill Boorman says:

Rob
    if possible could I have a copy of your business plan?
    Jill.boorman@cyrilleonard.co.uk

6. Linda Samonskiene says:

Hi Rob,
    Could you please send me your plan copy. I am really interested in. Thanks a lot! linsal207@yahoo.com

7. Phillipa says:

Hi Rob. If your business plan is still available, I would love to have a read of it! I love baking cakes and do it on a regular basis for family and friends, but would like to get more involved with the business and selling side of it. Please could you send me a copy to: pcaine92@gmail.com?
    Many thanks!

8. Wendy says:

Hi Rob please could u send me a copy of your business plan. To wendyhc@gmx.com

9. Lyn Steel says:

Hi rob how are you going with your business plan. I am a cancer nurse and have always wanted to look at a small cake business as a hobby love my job but need a distraction sometimes and I love baking makes me happy any advice you could offer would be great and how I go about doing a business plan your help is much appeciated lyn
    Email : lynsteel1735@gmail.com

10. Elena says:

Hi,

My name is Elena and a few months ago I started running a small business dealing with homemade cakes.

I would aprreciate if you could give me some information about firms that distribute cakes in coffe shops and restaurants in London.

Regards,
    Elena

11. Sue Holliman says:

Hi rob, I am very interested in you business plan as looking into selling cakes. Please could you send me copy too at sueholliman@yahoo.co.uk. Thanks.

12. Monique says:

Good Morning, I am interested in setting up my own business selling cakes. Please could you forward a copy of your business plan. misspatterson81@hotmail.com Thank you

13. karen says:

Would be interesting to see your plan rob as i am doing this at the moment and am always looking for ideas

14. Nana Pearl says:

Hi Rob, I would greatly appreciate a copy of your business plan if still available. My email is pearlmcgee1@att.net. Much Thanks!

15. Natalie says:

Hi rob, I’ve just discovered this site and I’m in the midst of setting up my company but I’m confused with a lot things, I’d really appreciate if you could send me a copy of your business plan to natalieshepherd30@hotmaill.com, although I know you posted this two years ago, I’d appreciate it all the same.

16. Yamini Clarke says:

Hi Rob, I am planning to do exactly the same thing as you. I’m based in Warrington and I’ve finally decided to go for it. I’ve been doing some major experimenting on my Kenwood kmix and I’m going to start selling at farmers market. I would very much apreciate taking a look at your business plan as I have no idea where to start regarding that side of the business. My email is ynclarke@yahoo.co.uk. Thank you

17. Sian Apperley says:

Hi Rob, if you’re still doing this I’d love a copy of your business plan.

Sianandnick@hotmail.com

Many thanks
    Sian

18. Ally says:

I would love a copy of your business plan please.

19. Elaine says:

Please could you sende a copy of your business plan. I’m thinking about setting up my own cake business, Thankyou. eyouson@rocketmail.com

20. liane says:

Hi rob am also thinking of turning my hobbie into something bigger if u would be kind enough to send me a copy of your plan that would be great , pinktushyliane@googlemail.com. Many thanks hi

21. rafaela says:

Hi Rob, I would love a copy of your plan if possible.
    Thanks

Rafaela
    rafaela@tvcabo.co.mz

22. Bradley bakes says:

Could I possibly trouble you for a copy of your information and business plan please : the_bradleys4@hotmail.com

Many thanks

23. KerryGF says:

I would like to start to sell Gluten free cupcakes, as I’m coeliac and understand fully how hard this is, so instead of just giving them to friends and family and I was thinking of doing this from some type of van!? Any idea where I would go from here with my ideas?

24. Donna Dukes says:

Hi Rob I would really appreciate any help you could send me Im hopoing to make cakes Many thanks Donna my email is donnadukes@hotmail.com

25. Babycakes88 says:

Hiya Rob Peters, if you are still sending your business plan I would be ever so grateful if you can send one out to me too. I have a deadline to completr my business plan and have been struggling a little. Any help would be great! Thank you! Safa :) s.babycakes88@gmail.com

26. julia says:

Hi Rob, Please can I have a copy of your business plan, Im starting selling cakes at a pannier market. Thanks Julia
    jubee1972@googlemail.com

27. julia says:

jubee1972@googlemail.com

28. julia says:

jubee1972@googlemail.com

29. julia says:

jubee1972@googlemail.com

30. CakedyBakedy says:

I have a business just waiting to get off the ground, any offers of assistance?:)

31. Suky says:

Hi Rob I would love a copy of your business plan too please! At sukhwant243@yahoo.co.uk thanks.

32. Suky says:

33. Becks says:

Hi Rob I would be interested in your business plan if its still available? Many thanks rebecca_bolton_01@hotmail.co.uk

34. Jessica Anne Hayes says:

Hi Rob,
    I know your post was a while ago now but do you still have the business plan you could email me. I am seriously thinking about taking the next step with my cakes, jams, jellies and sweets but am very new to it all and am unsure of all the details. Saw your post and thought you might be a good place to start! Thanks very much. Jessica (twpi22@sky.com)

35. Kylie Hart says:

Hi Rob, I am very interested in a copy of your buisness plan for this. I am looking to also start selling my cupcakes online and offline so any help would be much appreciated. Kylielouisehart@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks so much. Kylie.

36. Kristina says:

Hello Rob, I would be interested in receiving a business plan. Thank you. krista277@yahoo.com

37. Kristina says:

38. Claire Gillham says:

Hi rob if you are still sending out your plan I would be happy to see this could you send it to me clairegillham_32@hotmail.co.uk

39. Nathan says:

Hi could I please have a copy of your business plan. nr1112@hotmail.com

40. glesni says:

hi please could i have a copy of your business plan – glesnipritchard@yahoo.co.uk

41. Bane says:

Nobody cared who I was until I left this message

42. Siobhan says:

Hi Rob,
    I’ve just come across this page and was wondering if you would mind sending me your business plan please? I’m thinking of selling fudge locally or online but have no concrete plans so any guidance would be great. My email address is s.mcguckian@hotmail.co.uk.
    Siobhan

43. Simone Jones says:

The information above about the Casual and limited basis only, is incorrect, I have just come off the phone from my local council and have been told that NO council at all operate this policy anymore, anyone producing food for public consumption whether it be free or charged for, has to be registered

44. Rachel Hextall says:

Hi Rob, I hope your venture is proving to be a success. I would really appreciate a copy of your business plan if it is still available. I have been making cakes for friends and family for a long time and am toying with the idea of doing it as a business but don’t really know where to start! Many thanks, Rachel. r.hextall@hotmail.co.uk

45. Sayeeda j says:

Hi Rob, I’m interested in setting up a cupcake business with a friend in London. I would be very Grateful if you could forward me your business plan. Many thanks. Sayeeda
    sayeedaj@btinternet.com

46. lorraine pyle says:

Hi rob I too would be interested in a copy of your

business plan if its still available? I am in the process of

setting up a home baking business and would find this very

helpful Thankyou.

Lorraine.pyle@yahoo.co.uk

47. jean says:

hi Rob here my email im very interesting in your business plan thanks jeanp57@hotmail.com

48. Janice Bardwell says:

Perhaps should have been clearer about registration Its any 5 days in 5 consecutive weeks so if you produce once a week you need to register. occasional producers from home do not.

49. Janice Bardwell says:

Your information on Registering a food business ineeds osme addittional info.

Registration is free and of right. It is not a licence.

It is not optional if you prepare food on 5 consecutive days in any 5 weeks.

The registration form has to be submitted 28 days before you start production

BUT most local authorities will risk rate a small cake or jam /chutneys producer as low risk or even uninspectable risk.

Registration is just so the LA know where food producers are and can let them know if the is a food alert about a product they may use.

Food Hygiene training is not mandatory for staff, just recommended- the regulations say trained, supervised or instructed.

A written food safety plan is a legal requirement. It does not have to be complicated , just a couple of lines identifying any risk products or methods.

Labelling if you are not selling the food yourself at a stall or shop but via other shops is the hardest requirement to meet..Advice is on the Food standards Agency website.

Many LAs no longer give advice so if you are stuck you may need a local independent EHO like me!
    NB in Many areas it is not Trading standards who do food standards but the EHOs – makes it much easier to deal with!

• corrinne says:

hi janice.
      the problem i have is that there is no list of requirements written clearly somewhere for the requirements in a domestic premises selling cakes. i have the leaflets and want to register but i want the basic requirements, i.e i have dogs, i have moved them and their food etc out of my kitchen, the trouble is, the back door is in the kitchen….am i allowed to just let them walk through or do they need to go out of the front door?? any advice is appreciated please??
      thankyou
      corrinnne xx

• Janice Bardwell says:

Hi Corrinne, So long as you are not producing cream cakes you have a low risk product. All rules are risk related. So start with your food safety plan – answer not a lot in hygiene terms from bacteria or viruses. No cold storage will be necessary. Your risks (common from a domestic kitchen) would be something in the cake that should not be there, a piece of plastic, dog hair, human hair, a screw – you get the picture. So your food safety plan would say;

I don’t wear jewellery when i am baking

I keep the kitchen clear of bits and pieces

I use good quality equipment

I don’t use raw egg uncooked in any recipe

I use” lion marked” eggs and wash my hands after breaking the shells

Margarines and butter are stored in a refrigerator.

I keep the dogs out of the kitchen when i am working.

I clean down all surfaces before i start work

I have a separate washing up bowl with soap and paper towels to wash my hands

I protect cakes whilst they are cooling(cake nets are good)

I wrap cakes and store them in a cool dry place.

There you go one food safety plan! It’s just instructions for how you will work safely.

Training has to be relevant to the food you are producing. If you feel it would be good for your business to say that you have a certificate( and sometimes those you are selling from at a market insist on one) Then you can go to a local trainer or do an o on line course.If you branch out to doing more complex food, like buffets, outside catering, puddings or similar you would need to change your registration and would need an FH cert and a more complex food safety plan. SFBB, Safe Food better Business, available free from the Food Standards Agency web site is good.

Hope that helps

• corrinne says:

thankyou so much. you really have helped. i worked in a bakery in sainsburys for 25 years so i kind of have the basics down, handwashing, jewellry, cleaning schedules etc but i thought it would be stricter i guess. i was worried about the dogs but you’ve put my mind to rest. i have a basic hygiene cert
          many thanks
          corrinne xx

• Janice Bardwell says:

Glad I was able to help. Separating your activities by time is a really useful hygiene tool. Sure your dogs will get used to being restricted to lying in front of the fire instead of being in the kitchen!

• yemi says:

Hi Rob,
        I am also interested in having a copy of your business plan please. my email address is abakare2010@yahoo.co.uk

50. Sheree says:

Hi there,
    I love to bake cakes etc and would love to start selling my cakes if I can but I have no idea really where to start??
    Has anyone recently started doing this and could kindly offer some adviceexperience?
    I live in the Norfolk area.
    Email shereebaxter@rocketmail.com
    Thanks
    Sheree

51. aisha.a says:

Hi, I’ve been a pastry chef for 8 years and am thinking of selling my own cakes/cupcakes/traybakes locally. I’m based in Cheltenham and if anyone’s interested in the baking or in the business aspect, or has information that will help, please email me on, aisha.azmi@gmail.com

52. KerryCupcake says:

I make celebration cakes for family and friends, i would like to widen my market but my confidence fails me. Any ideas?

• Moneymagpie says:

Hi Kerry,

First of all, believe in yourself and your delicious cakes! If you want to spread the word about yourself then Vistaprint (www.awin1.com/awclick.php?mid=282&id=72610) will send you 250 business cards plus a free holder for just the postage cost. It’s great value and the website’s really easy to use. Get your friends and family to hand them out to everyone they know and wait for the work to start coming in!

The main thing to remember is that if you’re asked to make something you haven’t got the time for or it’s just too big a project, feel free to say no. That way you’re not putting yourself under pressure, you can go at your own pace and with each order your confidence will grow. Remember if your cake business does get bigger then you may have extra tax to pay. Our article has everything you need to know (www.moneymagpie.com/article/making-extra-money-do-i-have-to-pay-extra-tax).

Good luck and do let us know how you get on.

P.S. Remember – you can do it!

53. Naomi K says:

If only I wasn’t an absolutely awful cook, it would be a great way to boost your income! :)

54. If you are using fruit in a recipe soak it in something for a few hours. Tea (experiment with different types, I like Earl Grey!) is a good choice if you don’t want to use alcohol. This will make the cake moist too but beware you may need to cut down the liquid in the original recipe.

55. This sounds like a plan to me!! I might try contacting the schools in the local area to see if they want a cake style stall for their xmas fates!
    In my mind a true money maker is sweet treats for those with allergies, think gluten and dairy free.

56. Londoncupcakes says:

Quality advice. Pricing can be tricky but its crucial that you don’t undercharge. At londoncupcakes we have a full list of cupcake makers, but keep an eye on how you can add value to customer (gluten-free, free delivery with 10 miles of your bakery, quality packaging, etc)

57. Milena says:

Hi,

I would like to start selling homemade desserts – cakes, cupcakes, cookies to carboots in Nottinghamshire. Do think I can sell my products, is there a demand of food sales on carboot sales?
    If anyone is interested in joint partnership I will be glad to meet you in person and to discuss with you the options.

Thank you!

• StrikingPhoto Nottingham says:

Hi Milena
      I was thinking of doing similar sort of thing, just with homemade jams and chutneys. Did you have any luck around Notts?
      Katrina

• Beth says:

Hi Milena,

Where abouts in Notts are you from? I have been looking into selling home-made produce locally, cakes, jams and chutneys, sweets etc. I have been doing this as a hobby and for gifts for several years and people are always telling me I should try selling them, although this isn’t something I can afford to plough loads of money into. You can email me at soulmatesneverdie@hotmail.com

Beth

58. Rachel says:

Hi Rob

I hope your business runs well sounds like you have it all under control! I am also thinking of starting up a Cake business from home and would really welcome your thoughts and business plan ideas.

Best wishes

Rachel

59. raman kaur says:

Hi Joe,

I am planning to st at a biscuit/cookie business and would love a copy of your business plan.

rkaur2817@gmail.com

Many thanks

60. Silvia says:

Hi, I’m thinking of starting a home based cakes business in London. first selling at markets then, if it goes well,to open a shop. I’m a pastry chef and have always worked as an employee. my biggest dream is one day to own a cakes shop.If anyone is interested in starting a partnership in this sector feel free to contact me via email.
    Thanks

• mr ash hussain says:

hi.

Just read your comment regarding your aspirations within the bakery sector.i already run a commercial bakery.i am looking for a pastry chef to develop new products.if interested maybe we can work together for mutual benefits.

• Jonb says:

Hi Silvia,

I would love to know how you are getting on with the cake business. It would be great to chat about this further. Drop me an email on jonbawden1@gmail.com.

Thanks
      Jon

61. kelly hymas says:

i also would be interested to see this also. many thanks kelly hymas
    kellyhymas@hotmail.com

with kind regards and good luck for the future too!

62. rob peters says:

hi if anyone is interested in setting this up selling cupcakes,biscuits and cakes kindly let me know . I have already prepared a business plan and intend to market on line and offline.
    robs

63. felicity says:

This is a really great piece of information..I don’t currently have any certificates as been trying thsee if its worth it.by doing a couple of farmers markets,I am planning on getting these soon as my cakes do sell well…in the mean while I was wondering what the consequences are if I were to get approached by the council? Thanks for your help.

64. Claire says:

Hi,

Is anyone from Merseyside area, I’m thinking of setting up a jam & chutney making business. Can anyone give any advice or would be interested?
    clairestatham@hotmail.co.uk

65. Rocketgirl says:

Hi,
    I’m looking to start selling continental style cakes and bakes in Bristol area.
    If there is anyone interested in joining forces and do this together please get in touch.

• Charlotte says:

Hiya,

I am looking to start selling cakes in the Bristol area. I was actually meant to have a car boot today, which unfortunately was cancelled due to the weather, so I now have a load of unsold cakes, and not sure what to do with them. If anyone has any ideas, or a stall I could perhaps have a corner of that would be brilliant.

Thanks very much
      Charlotte

66. rob says:

hi is anyone interested in setting up their own business with me in the london area on a market stall kindly drop me a line I can get the merchandise very cheap must be hard working and motivated and committed.
    robs331@hotmail.co.uk

67. Katie says:

Hi!

I’m looking at starting to sell cupcakes in the west yorkshire area, been looking into Public Liability Insurance, contacted my local authority and even contacted every small, large and inbetween craft fair I could find!

Fingers crossed it goes well!

If anyone has any advice it would be gratefully received at: katy.999@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks

Katie

68. Mo says:

Hello I’m from Hertfordshire and would like to bake cakes and sell them at local markets and car boots, and wanted to know if there’s anyone who’d like to join me as it would be better doing this kind of venture with somebody else for the company and also I think it’ll be fun! So please get in touch with me through my email add if you’re interested- mobina02@yahoo.co.uk

69. amanda ball says:

Hi
    I live in dorset and i am interested in setting up a cup cake business and wondered if anybody would be interested in joining me. if anybody is interested please email me on mandy.ball@talktalk.net. Thankyou

70. Jo says:

Hi all I live in Essex, and am confused in this article it says that if you don’t sell regularly that you don’t have to register with the local council and don’t need food & hygiene. But then other people have commented saying that you have to register so what is it???? I make cakes for friends and family who do pay me for them, and I also once in a blue moon have a stall at a pamper night, can someone tell me if they think I have to register? Any advice would be very appreciated. Thanks

• Karen says:

Jo
      Are you still in Essex making the cakes I would like to know what you found out about insurance and baking at home. I am Essex borders and want to do the same. Please email me s9 kld@fsmail.net

71. ALEXANDREA JONES says:

I to love to bake cakes :) have now for many years. I have just started baking cake pops…….all my friends loved them. I would so love to set up with someone selling home baked cakes :) and do the job i love doing.

• Louise says:

Hi,
      What area are you in? Im thinking of setting up the same thing selling cake pops but in the North Yorks area?

72. Ashley says:

Hello. This is a great article. As an entrepreneur it is important to know how to prepare and present a price to a client. I’d like to suggest reading this article : timedoctor.com/biz3.0/how-to-prepare-quotes-for-clients-that-get-accepted/ , to be guided on the do’s and don’ts on selling.

73. Cheryl says:

Hi,

I would love to sell cakes and fruit pies at a local car boot sale or market. I haven’t done this before and wondered if anyone would be interested joining me?

It would be great having someone else on board. So if there’s anyone who’s interested selling cakes and pies with me in London please contact me.
    cherylcthomp@aol.com

74. Marie says:

Hi

I run a small business hiring vintage china in Leicestershire. I am thinking of setting up a vintage tea club once a week for a couple of hours in our village hall and would like to provide home made cakes and cookies. I have an old food hygiene certificate would this still be valid or as its only once a week would I need one?

many thanks

Marie

• Jules Pringle says:

Hello. To sell cakes to the public you will need a current food hygiene Level 2 certificate (retail) and you have to register your business with the local council – Environmental health where they will come and check where you will be baking from. Even though cake baking is low risk there are a few hoops to jump. I am just going through the process now to have a cake stall at a local craft fair. Next thing I need is insurance but don’t know which one to get. some are very costly!

Regards

• rob says:

hi if anyone is interested in selling cakes,biscuits in a local London market please kindly drop me a line
      robs331@hotmail.co.uk

75. Samantha says:

I want to start my own small business of chutneys and I did little research the Flavours I want to make is not in market , how can I start , I just have my grans recipes and £50 .

• hi sam try dragons den… or your local enterprise trust enquire about that from your local jobcentre , helps small businesses set ups ..ive even thought of a good name for your jams ..(SAMS JAMS) if you need any help via advice etc please feel free 2 contact me on BURNLEY 01282-429282 MY HOME TEL NUMBER..im hoping to look at a new business , selling flowers, fruit n veg here in lancashire on an antiques fair..i would happily like to purchase some of your new recipes..also u can fine me on facebook type in ROLAND MCLEAN MACHESTER not the 1 with the lancashire red rose, im the one in red t .shirt on a red scooter..kind regards MAC.

• rob peters says:

are you in the london area perhaps we could share costs?
      I am looking at cupcakes, cakes, and biscuits

76. BRIAN SU says:

Hello

Anyone can share ideas about cake baking and selling? I am based in Redhill Surrey.

At the moment we are renting a coach house so I was told no commercial baking allowed due to insurance and landlord policy. What is the best option if I want to make my cakes and sell them on weekends and sell online?

my email: briansu31@yahoo.co.uk

Please share

Brian

• Jules Pringle says:

Hi Brian

I am currently going through the procedures to be able to run a cupcake and fudge stall at a local craft fair. Both very low risk but still need to get the go ahead. I live in rented accommodation and have just registered with the local council – environmental health, they actually came around today and it was quite a smooth process. They can randomly check stalls and markets and other places so this is law. I have also just completed my Level 2 food hygiene (retail) which I did online to make life a bit easier. Apart from this information, unless your landlord has something in the contract, you will be allowed to bake from home as long as you register that address as your ‘business’. I need to look at insurance now then I should be ready.

• Peter says:

Hi,

great idea, if you want to sell your cakes online, try websites like gigzon.com where you can offer products for up to 100 and even sell locally.

Hope you like it, I do sell stuff there and it is great.

77. Ladypezza says:

Hi everyone,

I’m an avid baker in Blackheath and people keep telling me I should start selling my cakes but I really don’t know where to start and would ideally like someone to collaborate with!

I work fulltime as it is so wouldn’t want this to take over my day job but would love to be able to sell the cakes I make as a hobby.

78. Joe says:

Hi I am thinking of selling sweets in cellophane cones. Do I need to be registered and require insurance. I don’t know if it will take off or not so worried I don’t want to end up in debt before I even start making any money.

• Rebecca Mays says:

Hi,

Selling sweets is a pretty low cost adventure.
      As for insurances etc that you are enquiring about it all depends where you plan to sell them and if you are manufacturing your self. Contact us at shop@rebeccamays.eu we’re an existing sweet shop business and will be happy to advise – we also sell bulk and wholesale sweets and candy

• rob says:

hi read how to set up a business in 7 days by James Caan to see whether you ideas would be feasible . Also check out competition buy a biscuit or cake and ask them whether they make a good living

79. kim says:

Hi is anyone in the hampshire area looking for a partner to start a cake business? I would love to take the leap but would have more courage with someone else, would love to hear back from anyone interested

• Ellie says:

Hi there

I’m in the Hampshire area and have an avid passion for making cupcakes and would love a small business eventually.

Here is my email address if you want to have a little chat over email :)

eli.damico85@gmail.com

Be nice to chat :)

Ellie :)

• kristy says:

Hi there Kim where abouts in Hampshire are you? iv been wanting to start my own cake/baking business and would like someone to go in with. kristy

• WAYNE says:

I would be interested to assist with this if possible?

currently work in food wholesale/retail field, so have some working knowledge of how to bring a product to market along with the concept.

feel free to email me if you’d like to have a chat

evans_wayne@hotmail.com

Wayne

• Diane says:

Dear Kim

I could be too late, as I have only just started looking on the website, but just wondering were you are in Hampshire as I’m looking to find someone to go with to look at selling cakes in my local area.

Or if there is anyone else out there still looking I live in the Southampton area, if you are looking for some help let me know diane.lillie@hotmail.co.uk is my address.

I bake a mean carrot cake and I have been told I should look at selling it, so I thougt I would try

Diane

• Kristy says:

Hi

I live in Southampton and I keep getting told I should sell my cup cakes, and would really like some one to go in with.

My email is kristy16_7@msn.com

I look forward to hearing from you

Kristy

80. kat says:

This tool is great for calculating the cost of ingredients, profit and how much to charge for your cakes really help me out! cakebaker./cake-recipe-pricing-calculator.html

81. paula says:

Like many people I too need to make a little money to improve matters at home maybe even purchase a new pair of shoes , at last a web site stating facts and figures about a helping hand in this day and age, too much jargon and red tape stops so many community’s from getting to know one another. A big thank you

82. ciara says:

so if you get a pitch at a farmers market you can sell all your home baked produce without a traders licence, insurance or hygiene cert?

83. Dawn says:

So, if i started a small scale food business out of my kitchen, I would not be required to have an inspection and pay for a license? I was under the impression that this was required. What about selling at a craft show booth, or church homemade & craft shows? Is there a website dedicated to this type of info?
    Thank you.

84. Denise Smart says:

I already bake and decorate quite up market home made cakes from Wedding to Brithday to Special Occasion. I was under the impression before starting anything the best way to go about this is register with the local council for your kitchen to be registered. Thank-you

85. LittleVoice says:

If anyone is still wondering, more than a year on from Louisa’s enquiry, there is no requirement to register as a limited company whatever size of business you are running or whatever you are making (cakes, cards or cars).

86. Eulalee Brown says:

Hi,

Thank you for this web page I found it very useful, I can go away and plan my cake business.

Well Done

87. Ganska says:

Love the blog, found it in bing, how do I subscribe?

88. Tola says:

I am planning on a one off blitz at a local car boot but wonder if I have to put contact, content, best before and storage information on the label for marmalade, can anyone help please?

89. Diana says:

I would advise against registering with companies house, as this would make you a limted company with lots of legal responsibilities, it is also not tax efficient to be Ltd for a small scale enterprise. You are probably better off as a sole trader.

90. Marie says:

This is a great article. I like the way you suggest that people research their ingreadients and actually figure the cost it takes them to make a cake. Then, they can set reasonable prices for a profit.

We teach this to our blog readers all the time at .sellingcakes.

Good Read. I’m glad I found this site.

91. sally says:

phew! at last – some useful information and advice in plain english.

thank you!