Join MoneyMagpie today!
Log in or Register.

Prebooked Flights

Home Messageboards Coronavirus Forum Prebooked Flights

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
  • #150692

    Hi, I was recently overseas in Australia (not meant to be home yet) but had booked flights to return in May. I couldn’t get through to any help lines as they were only dealing with people with immediate problems so just had to book new flights. A pandemic isn’t covered on my travel insurance.. but obviously the flights haven’t been cancelled yet as it’s May. Do you know if there’s any thing I can do to get money back?

    Sam SmithSam Smith

    Hi Hannah, have you reached out to the airline to see what their policy is?


    Hi Hannah,

    Unfortunately, you’re going to have to wait until closer to the date of the return flights to see what the options are. If the airline cancels the flight, you’re entitled to a full refund. However, if the flight runs, you’ll need to cancel and take the hit on the administration fees. Your travel insurance may not cover a pandemic, but it’s also worth talking to them if you came home specifically on FCO advice (such as the understanding you would not be able to return home on your anticipated date because of closed borders).

    Keep an eye on the FCO recommendations around travel – and also that of Australia, as that’ll affect your rights, too.


    When I was still in Australia I tried to get in contact with the airline a couple of times but was told that they were only dealing with people who had flights within the next 72 hours so obviously no luck there but I will give them another try, thanks.


    Hi Annie,

    Thanks for the help there. Will have to see whether the flight goes ahead in a couple of weeks but I will look into what was covered as I was following FCO advice for British citizens abroad to get home as soon as possible. Will be good to have a look at it.


    If the flight were in June or July would it still need to be cancelled I wonder? I know any flights in May are likely to be cancelled but I wonder if things will return to normal by then? Or at least a semblance of normality? Or should we all prepare to chase a refund regardless. I suppose all we can do is wait and see.


    We are due to fly to the USA in September but we are not sure what the position will be then. I don’t really like the idea of travelling in a very enclosed space for such a long time. I wonder if we shall just have to cancel or wait until there is more information.


    I have flights booked to France with Easyjet at the end of June and return flights in July. I guess I’m in the same boat as Hannah as there is nothing yet to say my flight is cancelled. I am due to be going to stay with my friend and her husband at their house in France, but they are also stuck in the UK. Does anyone know where I would stand if I could get there but my friend and her husband could not? I’d have nowhere to stay and no means of transport without them! Thanks.


    we’ve just moved all of our holidays and postponed them to next summer. not worth the hassle and since the money was already allocated and saved we haven’t missed it.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.