If the kids are bored at home why not you try this yummy and easy chocolate lemon cheesecake. Yes, you’re right. Do chocolate and lemon go? Plus there are even more flavours here, with fresh strawberries on top and a damson jam glaze. I made this at the weekend for guests – didn’t get to taste it myself – but everyone’s been asking me for the recipe, so it must be good. The kids loved it too, so it’s a cheap, family crowd-pleaser. No expensive ingredients at all.
Recipe: Easy Chocolate Lemon Cheesecake
Ingredients: (serves 8)
- 400g pack dark chocolate digestives
- 100g butter, melted
- 2 x 200g cream cheese (full fat soft cheese, or you can use low fat)
- 5 tbsp lemon curd
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 400g strawberries (optional)
- 2 tbsp jam (optional – I used damson but apricot, strawberry, raspberry etc would do)
- Whizz the biscuits in a blender till they’re rough breadcrumbs – don’t make them too fine but check for big lumps (ie almost whole biscuits) that for some reason don’t get zapped.
- Mix with the melted butter and press into a lined 25cm cake tin (I use the pre-cut and pleated greaseproof paper liners, but clingfilm would do).
- Chill in the fridge.
- Beat the cream cheese to get out any lumps and also to break down the blocky-rectangle shape that it comes out of the tub in.
- Mix through the lemon curd and vanilla.
- Spread evenly over the biscuit base.
You can stop here and this will be a lovely cheesecake, but here are the decoration instructions:
- Hull the strawberries and quarter.
- Arrange over the cheesecake.
- Warm the jam in the microwave for 20 seconds or so and then thin down with a tablespoon of hot water.
- Glaze the strawberries, using a pastry brush.
- Chill further and serve.
Tip: This will keep happily in the fridge for a few hours (ie no need to decorate and glaze just before serving).