Join MoneyMagpie today!
Log in or Register.

Reply To: Disabled allowance

Home Messageboards Benefits & Financial Support Disabled allowance Reply To: Disabled allowance

Annie ThorpeAnnie Thorpe

Hi Dan,

Depending on your household income and your savings, you could get Universal Credit. Your partner could get an extra amount based on her disability – but this can take a long time to get. She’ll need to take a work capability assessment. In normal times, it takes up to six months to get the appointment – now, it’ll take even longer. If she is then eligible for the extra allowance, it gets backdated and paid as a lump sum. She could also be eligible for Personal Independent Payment, which isn’t means-tested. (So it doesn’t matter if you or both of you are working, or have savings). Again, it’ll take a long time to get this sorted.

If she can’t work because of her health due to coronavirus – so it’s a short-term problem rather than a permanent or long-term disability – she won’t get that allowance. It’s only for people who can’t work or have a severely limited capability for work. She’ll need to apply for the Employment and Support Allowance element if it’s a short-term problem like coronavirus, which is like sick pay.